[comp.mail.elm] Is that normal ?

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) (03/16/91)

Is ELM (2.3 PL11) supposed to interpret the $ sign when sending mail?
I did not call '$ elm $$$0@...' but loaded first elm and then choose
option m to send a mail.

I typed the recipient's address as indicated with the $ sign. When I
precede the $ with a backslash everything is OK.

Second case a user just told me for about 10 seconds: he called elm using
'$ elm \$\$\$0@...' and it seems that thus the address gets interpreted
again (a call 'elm $$$0@' would be refused by the shell).

If this is supposed to be normal function of elm, may I suggest that
elm adds necessary stuff so that $ does not get replaced after, as
$ is not a special character reffering to the RFC's.

--
Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)   |  Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA Lyon - Departement Informatique  |  "Take care when driving, 90% of the"

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/16/91)

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:
>I typed the recipient's address as indicated with the $ sign. When I
>precede the $ with a backslash everything is OK.
It is an old known bug of Elm that characters in the address that
are interpreted by the shell cause problems.  (GB09).
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235