[comp.mail.elm] ELM saves copy of sent email in wrong

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (03/15/91)

I posted a question about some email of mine not getting saved in my
"sentmail" folder.  I finally tracked down what the problem is.  It
seems that if there is a folder in my "maildir" directory that corresponds
to who I'm sending the mail to, it saves the copy in that folder instead
of my "sentmail" folder.  I've got "forcename" set to "OFF" but I would
guess that this only comes into play if the folder doesn't exist.

My question: Is this how elm is supposed to work?  It seems like an ok
thing to do, I'll just have to remember that it's doing this.
--
#################### Nudists Have No Tan Lines ########################
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki.com!dwatts  Dan Watts         #

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (03/15/91)

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:

>I posted a question about some email of mine not getting saved in my
>"sentmail" folder.  I finally tracked down what the problem is.  It
>seems that if there is a folder in my "maildir" directory that corresponds
>to who I'm sending the mail to, it saves the copy in that folder instead
>of my "sentmail" folder.  I've got "forcename" set to "OFF" but I would
>guess that this only comes into play if the folder doesn't exist.

There's one more setting you're missing, "savename" should also be set
to "OFF" and then it will save all in the sentmail folder.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

dermoudy@sol.surv.utas.edu.au (Julian Dermoudy) (03/15/91)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:

>dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:

>>I posted a question about some email of mine not getting saved in my
>>"sentmail" folder.  I finally tracked down what the problem is.  It
>>seems that if there is a folder in my "maildir" directory that corresponds
>>to who I'm sending the mail to, it saves the copy in that folder instead
>>of my "sentmail" folder.  I've got "forcename" set to "OFF" but I would
>>guess that this only comes into play if the folder doesn't exist.

>There's one more setting you're missing, "savename" should also be set
>to "OFF" and then it will save all in the sentmail folder.

Very true this works, but now when I hit "s" I no longer get prompted with a
suggested folder name (i.e. the savename option should be ON).  This was very
useful and convenient.

How do I get the best of both worlds, i.e. all outbound mail being saved
automatically in the folder specified by the "sentmail" variable, and being
prompted with a foldername corresponding to the sender for all incoming mail
when I hit "s"?

Have I missed anything?
					-Julian

--
  Julian Dermoudy			AARNet: J.R.Dermoudy@censis.utas.edu.au
  Centre for Spatial Info. Studies,	'Phone: +61 02 202108

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (03/17/91)

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) wrote:
>I posted a question about some email of mine not getting saved in my
>"sentmail" folder.  I finally tracked down what the problem is.  It
>seems that if there is a folder in my "maildir" directory that corresponds
>to who I'm sending the mail to, it saves the copy in that folder instead
>of my "sentmail" folder.  I've got "forcename" set to "OFF" but I would
>guess that this only comes into play if the folder doesn't exist.

You want to set copy = OFF in your ~/.elm/elmrc file. Forcename only
comes into play if copy = ON and only makes a difference if the folder
doesn't already exist.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301