[comp.mail.elm] Why are there limits?

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (03/18/91)

In <1991Mar16.220652.8522@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>germuska@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Joe Germuska) writes:
>> Is there a limit to the number of rules one can use?
>The number of rules allowed is chosen by the installer.  Its
>set in the hdrs/filter.h file in the define MAXRULES.  The default
>is 25 in the source as distributed.
>--
>Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP                   Elm Coordinator
>Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
>syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Why is there a limit on this and on such things as the number of
messages that ELM will handle?

If the mailbox is copied to the temporary holding place (whatever the
user specifies in the users' init file) so that it's size doesn't
change while undergoing analysis, and ELM just remembers that
message #N begins at character #X and ends at character #Y, I don't
see why ELM would have limits on the number of messages able to be
processed.

Also, for this problem, why not just put each incoming message through
the filter seperately (1 message at a time), so that way you just have
a bunch of if-thens to chew through (depending on how big the users'
filter file is), but you can process an unlimited number of messages
with an unlimited size of filter file.

Jeff
| "If you hear an onion ring - answer it."                    J.B. Nicholson |
| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)              These opinions are mine, that's all.|

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/18/91)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>Why is there a limit on this [filter rules] and on such things as
>the number of messages that ELM will handle?
Because that is the way Dave Taylor wrote the program.  We did not
choose the base structure for Elm and we do not have the time at present
to totally re-write it.

>I don't see why ELM would have limits on the number of messages able
>to be processed.
As far as I know, the only limit on the size of a folder is the amount
of memory to hold the headers.  I have handled many folders with thousands
of messages.