[comp.mail.elm] default elmrc?

et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) (03/14/91)

When people who haven't used ELM before type "elm", it asks if it should
set up their .elm/ and Mail/ directories for them.  They also get a default
elmrc.  I know that some of the defaults for this standard elmrc come from
Configure, and I'm not worried about those.  The other settings, however,
don't seem to be settable to a default anywhere.  I was wondering if ELM
had anything like a default elmrc anywhere (like a system-wide one that it
could boot up on).  Sort of like "mailx.rc" that mailx uses.

Otherwise I'm going to have to pre-create everyone's .elm/ and elmrc so
they get decent default options... bleech.

Thanks for any help!  :-)

Eric

--
"I'd rather be no one than someone with no one to love" |    Eric Thompson
                                     --Stone Roses      | et@ocf.berkeley.edu

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/14/91)

et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>When people who haven't used ELM before type "elm", it asks if it should
>set up their .elm/ and Mail/ directories for them.  They also get a default
>elmrc.
No, they don't get a default elmrc.  That file is only created when
the user does a save of the options from the options screen.

>I know that some of the defaults for this standard elmrc come from
>Configure, and I'm not worried about those.  The other settings, however,
>don't seem to be settable to a default anywhere.
Their is no global elmrc, but the docs (especially the config doc)
talk about changing the code for changing the defaults.  A global
elmrc has been discussed, but is not on the schedule, for now its
up to the installed to change those in the code.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar14.040124.29379@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>>When people who haven't used ELM before type "elm", it asks if it should
>>set up their .elm/ and Mail/ directories for them.  They also get a default
>>elmrc.
>No, they don't get a default elmrc.  That file is only created when
>the user does a save of the options from the options screen.
>
>>I know that some of the defaults for this standard elmrc come from
>>Configure, and I'm not worried about those.  The other settings, however,
>>don't seem to be settable to a default anywhere.
>Their is no global elmrc, but the docs (especially the config doc)
>talk about changing the code for changing the defaults.  A global
>elmrc has been discussed, but is not on the schedule, for now its
>up to the installed to change those in the code.

I think that Eric's idea is excellent.  This would be very useful for
systems with lots of novice users.  Using code that is already present
in ELM it sould be possible to set up an elmrc file that is a copy of a
default one stored by the system administrator, but with the name and
paths corrected with information from the passwd file.

I've been meaning to set up a script to do this, but give it a thought?

Bill
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (03/19/91)

As quoted from <1991Mar14.122727.11861@cs.dal.ca> by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):

+---------------
| In article <1991Mar14.040124.29379@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
| >et@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
| >>When people who haven't used ELM before type "elm", it asks if it should
| >>set up their .elm/ and Mail/ directories for them.  They also get a default
| >>elmrc.
| >No, they don't get a default elmrc.  That file is only created when
| >the user does a save of the options from the options screen.
| >
| >>I know that some of the defaults for this standard elmrc come from
| >>Configure, and I'm not worried about those.  The other settings, however,
| >>don't seem to be settable to a default anywhere.
| >Their is no global elmrc, but the docs (especially the config doc)
| >talk about changing the code for changing the defaults.  A global
| >elmrc has been discussed, but is not on the schedule, for now its
| >up to the installed to change those in the code.
|
| I think that Eric's idea is excellent.  This would be very useful for
| systems with lots of novice users.  Using code that is already present
| in ELM it sould be possible to set up an elmrc file that is a copy of a
| default one stored by the system administrator, but with the name and
| paths corrected with information from the passwd file.
|
| I've been meaning to set up a script to do this, but give it a thought?
+---------------

I just passed along a script that I had written some time ago and use
on a rather regular basis.  As I was replying to Eric ('E-mail'), I
got another batch of "news" from my feed with had more followups to
his posting, so I thought I'd post that reply for those interested....

** [ ...much preliminary text omitted... ] **

+---------------
| Otherwise I'm going to have to pre-create everyone's .elm/ and elmrc so
| they get decent default options... bleech.
+---------------

I have asked all users (our 'shell' users) to initiate the 'Elm' utility
for themselves which, as they will see, will create two sub-directories
for themselves, viz., < $HOME/.elm > and < $HOME/Mail >.  I inform them
that the < $HOME/Mail > directory will be deleted (I see it as useless
junk) and that their 'Mail' directory will be < $HOME/.elm >.  I also
ask them to press the `` o '' key ( for the yet invisible 'o)ptions' to
them ) to create the < ~/elmrc > file.  I also tell them that this file,
as well as some other parameters will be changed for them as soon as I
can get around to it.  I show them, in the same set of instructions, a
"sample" < $HOME/.elm/elmrc > that will be used to replace the basic
< $HOME/.elm/elmrc > file that they had just created....

<< begin edited "$HOME/.elm/elmrc" file >>
#
# .elm/elmrc - options file for the ELM mail system
#
# Saved automatically by ELM 2.3 PL11 for [user_name]
#

# For yes/no settings with ?, ON means yes, OFF means no

# where to save calendar entries
calendar = $HOME/.Agenda

** [ ...more text omitted... ] **

<<  end edited "$HOME/.elm/elmrc" file  >>

...And then, after a "new user" has created their new < $HOME/.elm >
directory, I run this script --

<< begin script that the "sysop" can run >>
: use /bin/sh
# usage: [script] [user_real_name]
#
MSG0="\n[script]: must run in the foreground by root\n"
sysop="`who am i | awk '{print $1}'`"
[ "$sysop" != "root" -a "$sysop" != "" ] && { echo "$MSG0"; exit 1; }
MSG1="\nSorry -- no such user account \"$*\";  check < /etc/passwd >
usage: [script] [user_real_name]\n"
MSG2="\nSorry -- the file < \$HOME/.elm/elmrc > not yet created
usage: [script] [user_real_name]\n"
NAME=$*
[ ! "$NAME" ] && { echo "$MSG1"; exit 1; }
grep "$NAME" /etc/passwd >/dev/null 2>&1
[ $? -ne 0 ] && { echo "$MSG1"; exit 1; }
FILE="`grep "$NAME" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6`/.elm/elmrc"
[ ! -f $FILE ] && { echo "$MSG2"; exit 1; }
XDIR="`grep "$NAME" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6`/Mail"
EDIR="`grep "$NAME" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6`/.elm"
[ -d $XDIR ] && rmdir $XDIR
[ $? -ne 0 ] && { mv $XDIR/* $EDIR; rmdir $XDIR; }
copy -om ${FILE} ${FILE}.old
echo "\
#
# .elm/elmrc - options file for the ELM mail system
#
# Saved automatically by ELM 2.3 PL11 for $NAME
#

# For yes/no settings with ?, ON means yes, OFF means no

# where to save calendar entries
calendar = \$HOME/.Agenda

# what editor to use (\"none\" means simulate Berkeley Mail)
editor = /bin/vi

# the character to use in the builtin editor for entering commands
escape = ~

# The full user name for outbound mail
fullname = $NAME

# where to save received messages to, default file is \"=received\"
receivedmail = \$HOME/.elm/last_read_mail

# where to save my mail to, default directory is \"Mail\"
maildir = \$HOME/.elm

# where to place temporary files, default directory is \"/tmp\"
tmpdir = /tmp/

# program to use for displaying messages ('builtin' is recommended)
pager = builtin+

# prefix sequence for indenting included message text in outgoing messages...
prefix = >_

# how to print a message ('%s' is the filename)
print = /bin/cat %s | /usr/bin/lp

# where to save copies of outgoing mail to, default file is \"=sent\"
sentmail = =sent

# The shell to use for shell escapes
shell = `grep \"$NAME\" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f7`

# local \".signature\" file to append to appropriate messages...
localsignature = \$HOME/.loc.signature

# remote \".signature\" file to append to appropriate messages...
remotesignature = \$HOME/.rem.signature

# do we want dashes above signatures? (News 2.11 compatibility and convention)
sigdashes = ON

# how to sort folders, \"Mailbox\" by default
sortby = Reverse-Mailbox

# should the default be to delete messages we've marked for deletion?
alwaysdelete = ON

# should the default be to store read messages to the \"received\" folder?
alwaysstore = ON

# should the default be to keep unread messages in the incoming mailbox?
alwayskeep = ON

# should we use the \"->\" rather than the inverse video bar?
arrow = OFF

# should the message disposition questions be displayed(ON) or
# auto-answered(OFF) with the default answers when we resync or change folders?
ask = ON

# would you like to be asked for Carbon-Copies information each msg?
askcc = ON

# attribution string for replies ('%s' is the author of original message)
attribution =

# automatically copy message being replied to into buffer?
autocopy = ON

# threshold for bouncing copies of remote uucp messages...
# zero = disable function.
bounceback = 0

# save a copy of all outbound messages?
copy = ON

# save outbound messages by login name of sender/recipient even if the
# associated folder doesn't already exist?
forcename = ON

# do we want to be able to mail out AT&T Mail Forms?
forms = OFF

# should we keep folders from which all messages are deleted?
keepempty = ON

# are we running on an HP terminal and want HOME, PREV, NEXT, etc...?
keypad = OFF

# should we display the three-line 'mini' menu?
menu = ON

# when using the page commands (+ - <NEXT> <PREV>) change the current
# message pointer...?
movepage = OFF

# just show the names when expanding aliases?
names = ON

# when messages are copied into the outbound buffer, don't include headers?
noheader = OFF

# start up by pointing to the first new message received, if possible?
pointnew = ON

# prompt for a command after the external pager exits?
promptafter = ON

# emulate the mailx message increment mode (only increment after something
# has been 'done' to a message, either saved or deleted, as opposed to
# simply each time something is touched)?
resolve = ON

# save messages, incoming and outbound, by login name of sender/recipient?
savename = ON

# are we running on an HP terminal and want softkeys available too?
# (this implies \"keypad=ON\" too)
softkeys = OFF

# Set the main prompt timeout for resynching...
timeout = 60

# display message title when displaying pages of message?
titles = ON

# are we good at it?  0=beginner, 1=intermediate, 2+ = expert!
userlevel = 2

# tell us about addresses to machines we can't directly get to?
warnings = ON

# enable the weedout list to be read?
weed = OFF

# what headers I DON'T want to see, ever.
weedout = 	\"*end-of-user-headers*\"
" >${FILE}
exit

<<  end script that the "sysop" can run  >>

To me, this makes it all very simple!!  Edit the above as you wish --
you're on your own from here!

Regards....  Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org