[comp.mail.elm] Aliases in Reply-to:

heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Heiko Schlichting) (03/17/91)

Hello,

I can't use my aliases in the Reply-to: line in the h)eader menu of
elm (ELM 2.3 pl11). Is this a known problem or what can I do?
Typing "admin@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Vera Heinau and Heiko Schlichting)"
is not real fun...

Is it possible to set a default for reply-to and cc?

Bye, Heiko.
--
 |~|    Heiko Schlichting                   | Freie Universitaet Berlin
 / \    heiko@fub.uucp                      | Institut fuer Organische Chemie
/FUB\   heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de    | Takustrasse 3
`---'   phone +49 30 838-2677; fax ...-5163 | D-1000 Berlin 33  Germany

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/17/91)

heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Heiko Schlichting) writes:
>I can't use my aliases in the Reply-to: line in the h)eader menu of
>elm (ELM 2.3 pl11). Is this a known problem or what can I do?
I generally put Reply-To: in my elmheaders file.
As to why you'd want a default cc I don't know.  Generally
if you just wanted to copy your self its easier to save the outbound
message.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

heinau@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Vera Heinau) (03/18/91)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Heiko Schlichting) writes:
>>I can't use my aliases in the Reply-to: line in the h)eader menu of
>>elm (ELM 2.3 pl11). Is this a known problem or what can I do?
>I generally put Reply-To: in my elmheaders file.
>As to why you'd want a default cc I don't know.  Generally
>if you just wanted to copy your self its easier to save the outbound
>message.

Of course. But there is at least one more person administrating our
site (me :-) and it is important for us to know which work was already
done by the other one (e.g. which mail is already answered). So Heiko
has to send a CC to me and vice versa. This is why an Auto-CC would be
appreciated.

Bye, Vera

--
 |~|    Vera Heinau                         | Freie Universitaet Berlin
 / \    heinau@fub.uucp                     | Institut fuer Organische Chemie
/FUB\   heinau@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de   | Takustrasse 3
`---'   phone +49 30 838-2677; fax ...-5163 | D-1000 Berlin 33  Germany

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (03/19/91)

An experiment (elm won't be up on this site for another 2 or 3 days):

Add a "Cc: whoever" line to your .elm/headers file...

heinau@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Vera Heinau) (03/20/91)

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) writes:

>Add a "Cc: whoever" line to your .elm/headers file...

Of course this would work, just as putting a "Reply-To: xyz" in it (as
Syd suggested). But this would lead to a second problem:
Headerlines produced this why can't be edit in the h)eader-menu. This
is not practicable - one surely wants to put different adresses in the
"Cc:" in addition to the "standard"-Cc...

Bye, Vera
--

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (03/23/91)

admin@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de wrote:
>meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) writes:
>
>>Add a "Cc: whoever" line to your .elm/headers file...
>
>Of course this would work, just as putting a "Reply-To: xyz" in it (as
>Syd suggested).

BZZZZT. Wrong. :-)

It might put the Cc: header in your message, but it certainly won't
cause the message to be mailer to the addresses in that Cc: line.  The
headers in the .elm/headers file are merely lines appended to the
headers composed within elm, but they aren't processed for recepient
addresses.  ELM must hand the recipient addresses to the MTA on the MTA
command line and not (just) in within the mail message file given to the MTA.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301