[comp.mail.elm] selective saving

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/27/91)

Wish list item:

I have ELM configured to save outgoing messages in ~/Mail/recipient_name.
But sometimes, what I'm sending out is either too trivial to be so saved,
or maybe too large to be saved (like sending 5 X 50K shar files of something).

Could we have a switch to turn off saving if it's enabled, or turn it on if
it's disabled?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

rice@willow23.cray.com (Jonathan Rice) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.055657.1888@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>Wish list item:
>
>I have ELM configured to save outgoing messages in ~/Mail/recipient_name.
>But sometimes, what I'm sending out is either too trivial to be so saved,
>or maybe too large to be saved (like sending 5 X 50K shar files of something).
>
>Could we have a switch to turn off saving if it's enabled, or turn it on if
>it's disabled?

I was just about to post the identical request.

Usually, for big stuff, I remember to put [nosave] in the body, and thus keep
a record of sending the 50KB file.  But about 10% of my mail consists of "OK"
or "10:30" or "It's in /some/path/somewhere" and it would be great not to
have to go delete those.

How about "s" for send and "S" for send/don't keep?

(Also, I'll add a big "me too" for compressed folders.)

--
Jonathan C. Rice    | Internet: rice@cray.com
Cray Research, Inc. | UUCP:   uunet!cray!rice

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (03/28/91)

In article <103159.13093@timbuk.cray.com>
	rice@willow23.cray.com (Jonathan Rice) writes:
>(Also, I'll add a big "me too" for compressed folders.)

	$ ksh -c "time ( compress ~/Mail/Sent ; uncompress ~/Mail/Sent )"
	real	1m56.72s
	user	0m46.28s
	sys	0m4.24s

Be careful what you ask for - you might get it.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.

rice@willow23.cray.com (Jonathan Rice) (03/29/91)

In article <1934@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <103159.13093@timbuk.cray.com>
>	rice@willow23.cray.com (Jonathan Rice) writes:
>>(Also, I'll add a big "me too" for compressed folders.)
>
>	$ ksh -c "time ( compress ~/Mail/Sent ; uncompress ~/Mail/Sent )"
>	real	1m56.72s
>	user	0m46.28s
>	sys	0m4.24s

Since I maintain one folder per correspondent or project:

616 >> ksh -c "time ( uncompress rao;compress rao )"  <<--my largest folder
real    0m9.48s
user    0m5.26s
sys     0m1.30s

9.48 seconds is less time than it takes to respond to an admin message "Disk
xxx is 97% full"...  So this can of course be made optional -- and as long as
I'm wishing instead of implementing, it can be made optional by folder
instead of for all of ~/Mail.  It wouldn't even have to be describable in
elmrc; just let elm recognize foldername.Z as a case that needs to be
uncompressed, and remember to recompress when changing out of that folder.

>Be careful what you ask for - you might get it.

That's the best news yet!

--

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (03/30/91)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>I have ELM configured to save outgoing messages in ~/Mail/recipient_name.
>But sometimes, what I'm sending out is either too trivial to be so saved,
>or maybe too large to be saved (like sending 5 X 50K shar files of something).
>
>Could we have a switch to turn off saving if it's enabled, or turn it on if
>it's disabled?

After composing your message, and before "s"ending it, you can select
"c"opy from the send menu and clear (line kill or backspace) the folder
into which to save the message.  This will prevent a copy from being
saved.  It does require a manual step, but it's gotten REAL automatic
for me when I know it's a trivial or huge message:

	compose in VI
	ZZc<bs><cr>s

and I'm done.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :