[comp.mail.elm] compuserve aliases?

bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) (03/23/91)

For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.

I tried putting a backslash in front of the comma, but that didn't work, either.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks,

Bud Hovell
--
____________
bud@mtek.com

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235011.19753@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.

>I tried putting a backslash in front of the comma, but that didn't work, either.

>Is there any workaround for this?

Yep.  Put a period where the comma was.  Works like a champ,
don't ask me why.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

jfh@netcom.COM (Jack Hamilton) (03/25/91)

writes:
>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.

It should be 73011.3401@compuserv.com.  Use a period instead of a comma.
The documentation I've seen says to use a period.  You may be confused
because Compuserve uses a comma internally.

--
Jack Hamilton         jfh@netcom.com         apple!netcom!jfh

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (03/25/91)

>>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
>>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.

>Yep.  Put a period where the comma was.  Works like a champ,
>don't ask me why.

Simple,
The comma is not legal. The period is.  The kindly folks at the
gateway, saqqara.???.osu.edu fix it at their end.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235011.19753@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.
>I tried putting a backslash in front of the comma, but that didn't work, either.
>Is there any workaround for this?

In writing to a PPN of the form MMMMM,NNN at CIS, the comma must be replaced by
a dot anyways, so even if you got your alias to work, no mail would be
delivered. Make it 73011.3401@compuserve.com.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235011.19753@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.
>
>I tried putting a backslash in front of the comma, but that didn't work, either.
>
>Is there any workaround for this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bud Hovell
>--
>____________
>bud@mtek.com
>"...never forget that most soldiers hate warriers." - W. E. B. Griffin

Yeah, to reach someone at compuserve you should be using a dot, not a
comma.  Fix that and all should work ok.  (At least it works here).

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235011.19753@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
=For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn't
=like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.

Change the comma to a period.

Pete
(70240.334@compuserve.com)
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

sgordon@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steven I Gordon) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235011.19753@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) w
rites:
>For an address like "73011,3401@compuserve.com", the 'newalias' command doesn'
>like it owing to the comma. Blows up big time.
>
>I tried putting a backslash in front of the comma, but that didn't work, eithe
r.

>Is there any workaround for this?
You can use a period instead of a comma.  This is acceptable to both elm
and as the internet address for compuserve.

bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) (04/01/91)

Thanks to the many persons who have responded to my query, mainly by email,
but here, as well, e.g.:

"Either sue me, or shut the hell up."  - Greg Hennessy, gsh7w@virginia.edu