[comp.mail.elm] Making the opening screen contain new mail

bgg@pta.oz.au (Ben Golding) (04/04/91)

One of my users has asked whether it's possible to make Elm display
newly incorporated mail on the initial subject display when Elm starts
up.  At present, the initial subject display starts from the first
message in the user's folder.  My user has to step through many screens
of pending messages to find his new mail and he doesn't like that.

I've read through the manual thoroughly and I haven't found any options
that relate to this.  Have I missed something or will I just tell my
user "that's how it works"?

	Ben.

mullins@convex.com (Don Mullins) (04/05/91)

In <6180@pta.oz.au> bgg@pta.oz.au (Ben Golding) writes:

>One of my users has asked whether it's possible to make Elm display
>newly incorporated mail on the initial subject display when Elm starts
>up.  At present, the initial subject display starts from the first
>message in the user's folder.  My user has to step through many screens
>of pending messages to find his new mail and he doesn't like that.

>I've read through the manual thoroughly and I haven't found any options
>that relate to this.  Have I missed something or will I just tell my
>user "that's how it works"?

>	Ben.

Ben,
    Sounds like you want to turn on pointnew in your elmrc.  This is not on
    the options menu, but is a variable.

    This will make elm point to the fisrt new message at startup, if there is
    one.  It works only on the users incoming mailbox.  It also works on a
    resync ($) command, if you keep an elm running all the time, like I do.

Don

--
Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
INTERNET: mullins@convex.COM -- UUCP: {uiucuxc, uunet, sun, ...}!convex!mullins

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Varney) (04/05/91)

}
}I've read through the manual thoroughly and I haven't found any options
}that relate to this.  Have I missed something or will I just tell my
}user "that's how it works"?
}
}	Ben.
Have him set pointnew = ON .
This will not keep from displaying old messages, but it will start up with
the arrow (or reverse video bar) on the first New message in the folder.
Hope that helps
		Bruce

---------
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   in rage, sneer, fr. sark-, sarx flesh; akin to Av thwar*s to cut] 1: a
   cutting, hostile, or contemptuous remark : GIBE 2: the use of caustic or
   ironic language - sar.cas.tic aj

                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

gedwards@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) (04/08/91)

In <6180@pta.oz.au> bgg@pta.oz.au (Ben Golding) writes:
>One of my users has asked whether it's possible to make Elm display
>newly incorporated mail on the initial subject display when Elm starts
>up.  At present, the initial subject display starts from the first
>message in the user's folder.  My user has to step through many screens
>of pending messages to find his new mail and he doesn't like that.
>
>	Ben.

From the Elm main menu select 'o' for the options menu.  On this menu
select 'S' for Sorting Criteria.  Keep hitting the space bar until
'Reverse Date Mail Sent' is displayed.  This will make the newest message
display on the opening screen, the oldest messages will come last.

Gordon Edwards, N4VPH              |         "Nothing Unreal Exists"
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing    |
gedwards@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com  |  Kiri-Kin-Tha's First Law of Metaphysics