[comp.mail.elm] Help with elm2.3 patch 11

perera@athena.cs.uga.edu (Niranjan) (04/18/91)

Greetings,

I wonder if any of you souls could give me some pointers with the following
elm problem...

I recently got elm2.3 patch 11 and installed it in my directory and was using
it for about a week. Today when I tried to use elm I got the following mesg..

Reading in /var/spool/mail/perera, message: 0
folder is corrupt!! I cant read it!!

I recompiled everything again and started elm up it prompted me for the
creation of a new .elm directory, and the it prompted me for the creation of
the Mail directory and followed it with the  above mesg again.....

I have elm installed on a Sun sparc and it runs fine
[ Sun4, SunOS 4.1.1 ], the one
having trouble with runs on a Sun3, SunOS 4.1.1...........

Please be kind enough to email me any suggestions...

thanks in advance,

--
Niranjan Perera             Computer Science Department, University of Georgia.
perera@athena.cs.uga.edu           "TRUST ME! I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING..."

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/19/91)

perera@athena.cs.uga.edu (Niranjan) writes:
>Today when I tried to use elm I got the following mesg..

>Reading in /var/spool/mail/perera, message: 0
>folder is corrupt!! I cant read it!!
What it is saying is that the folder did not start with a UNIX
mail message.

If elm is not compiled for MMDF support, the mailbox must start
with "From path date-stamp" where there are 7 or 8 eight fields total.
(the 7 is without timezone, the 8 is with timezone)

If elm is compiled for MMDF support the mailbox must start
with ^A^A^A^A (or the configured MMDF seperator) and then the "From "
line.

If this is not true, Elm reports the folder is corrupt.

Look why the folder does not contain that format of data.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.165554.19824@athena.cs.uga.edu> perera@athena.cs.uga.edu (Niranjan) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>I wonder if any of you souls could give me some pointers with the following
>elm problem...
>
>I recently got elm2.3 patch 11 and installed it in my directory and was using
>it for about a week. Today when I tried to use elm I got the following mesg..
>
>Reading in /var/spool/mail/perera, message: 0
>folder is corrupt!! I cant read it!!

This has been happening to me since I first got ELM.  It usually seems
to be due to a message that includes a header word at the start of the
line.  Usually I just resort to standard mail to read the folder, and
after the offending line has been deleted everything is fine again.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577