[comp.mail.elm] Help with Filters

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (04/19/91)

I need some help with filtering. I regularly recieve messages from
a listserv machine for a group I suscribe to. The header looks like
this:

> From @VM.usc.edu:BIRDCHAT@ARIZVM1.BITNET  Thu Apr 18 12:41:38 1991
> Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 91 14:03:14 LCL
> Sender: "National Birding Hotline Cooperative (Chat Line)"
>              <BIRDCHAT%ARIZVM1.bitnet@bitnet-gw.usc.edu>
> From: Peter.D.Hunt%MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU@VM.usc.edu
> Subject:      Re: Jim McDaniel's 3 questions
> To: 'Jackie Burhans' <burhans@MIZAR.usc.edu>

The filter I have looks like this (note it contains other filters
besides the ones to the file bird, but they work):

if to contains "harriers" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/hhh
if subject contains "hash" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/hhh
if subject contains "harriers" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/hhh
if from contains "bird" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/bird
if subject contains "bird" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/bird
if to contains "bird" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/bird
if to contains "nbhc" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/bird
if from contains "nbhc" then save /home/mizar/burhans/Mail/bird

I couldn't tell from the documentation if other keywords were
possible. filter -r has no problem with this, it just doesn't
cover the sort of header I normally get from the list server.
What it does is put most of these messages into my default mailbox.

Thanks!
--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs