[comp.mail.elm] ELM under OpenWindows

elsn4000@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) (04/25/91)

I've problems using ELM under SUN's OpenWindows. The screen looks perfect
in the beginning but the menu is ill-formatted.

Maybe this is due to a termcap/terminfo problem ?
What does ELM use, termcap or terminfo ?

Any hints are welcome.

Frank Elsner (TU Berlin Postmaster)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/25/91)

elsn4000@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) writes:
>I've problems using ELM under SUN's OpenWindows. The screen looks perfect
>in the beginning but the menu is ill-formatted.
>
>Maybe this is due to a termcap/terminfo problem ?
>What does ELM use, termcap or terminfo ?
Elm can use either, it depends on how it is compiled.  Under SunView
Elm needs a shelltool window not a cmdtool window, perhaps it has that
same problem under OpenWindows, that it needs a window without scroll bars
to run.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/26/91)

In article <344@mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de> elsn4000@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) writes:
>I've problems using ELM under SUN's OpenWindows. The screen looks perfect
>in the beginning but the menu is ill-formatted.
>
>Maybe this is due to a termcap/terminfo problem ?
>What does ELM use, termcap or terminfo ?

Elm works fine in either a SHELLTOOL or XTERM window.  Don't use COMMAND
TOOL though.  Also make sure your TERM environment variable is set correctly
(what is it set to?)

-bill

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

Frank.Kaefer@Germany.Sun.COM (Frank Kaefer - SUN Germany IR) (04/26/91)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

|elsn4000@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) writes:
|>I've problems using ELM under SUN's OpenWindows. The screen looks perfect
|>in the beginning but the menu is ill-formatted.
|>
|>Maybe this is due to a termcap/terminfo problem ?
|>What does ELM use, termcap or terminfo ?
|Elm can use either, it depends on how it is compiled.  Under SunView
|Elm needs a shelltool window not a cmdtool window, perhaps it has that
|same problem under OpenWindows, that it needs a window without scroll bars
|to run.

Yes, thats the right way. The only problem is that OpenWin sets TERM to
sun-cmd also in a shelltool. So you just have to set TERM to sun
(host% setenv TERM sun). Thats it.

Cheers,
Frank

--
|  Frank Kaefer, SUN Microsystems GmbH Germany F+A IR/MIS   |
| >>>>>>>>>>>> e-mail: fkaefer@Germany.Sun.COM <<<<<<<<<<<< |

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (04/27/91)

In <1991Apr25.130945.21641@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>Elm can use either, it depends on how it is compiled.  Under SunView
>Elm needs a shelltool window not a cmdtool window, perhaps it has that
>same problem under OpenWindows, that it needs a window without scroll bars
>to run.

It is the same problem as under Sunview. Syd is absolutely right,
on a Sun under OpenWindows or under Sunview you have to use a shelltool
window rather than a cmdtool window.

BTW, if you're using OpenWindows make sure that /usr/openwin/bin/xview is
ahead of /usr/bin in your path!

aem
--
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu .......................................................
A tree farm is not a forest.

csd35@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (04/28/91)

From article <1991Apr25.211909.8400@unixland.uucp>, by bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser):
> In article <344@mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de> elsn4000@mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) writes:
>>I've problems using ELM under SUN's OpenWindows. The screen looks perfect
>>in the beginning but the menu is ill-formatted.

If you mean that the lines wrap at the end then you have discovered yet
another Shelltool bug.

> Elm works fine in either a SHELLTOOL or XTERM window.  Don't use COMMAND
> TOOL though.  Also make sure your TERM environment variable is set correctly

I run elm in a shelltool without altering the TERM variable at all.  The
bug is that shelltool doesn't set its window size until AFTER it has started
its process.  So shelltool -c elm doesn't work.  I have a shell script
that sleeps for 3 seconds before starting elm and since I did that I have
no problems unless the X server is slow enough for elm to get going before
the window appears.  Here for you to gasp an appreciate is the
aforementioned shell script.  I make no copyright claims to it because
its too darn short.

#!/bin/sh
sleep 3
elm
sleep 3

The sleep 3 at the end is so that I get to see the 'Hey' message before
the window gets zapped.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science