[comp.mail.elm] Alias suggestion for ELM

rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Ronald van Loon) (04/29/91)

At the moment, ELM only handles one alias-file ; is it possible
to add to ELM a commandline-option that will allow to use a different
alias file ? That way, alias-files can be smaller, it's easier for one-
time batch mailing (group-aliases) and the like. Of course, to be consistent,
there an option would have to be added to the alias menu as well.

I don't think it would take much programming to do - it would involve a
global variable holding the current alias file, and a bit of extra command-
line parsing.

Please correct me if I am wrong, any comments appreciated.

Ronald van Loon (rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do -
once you find them - Jimmy Croce "Time in a bottle"
--

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr29.085633.8393@cs.ruu.nl> rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Ronald van Loon) writes:
>At the moment, ELM only handles one alias-file ; is it possible
>to add to ELM a commandline-option that will allow to use a different
>alias file ? That way, alias-files can be smaller, it's easier for one-
>time batch mailing (group-aliases) and the like. Of course, to be consistent,
>there an option would have to be added to the alias menu as well.

This is a nice idea.  It would be particularly useful for users
who have lots of aliases on a machine where sysadmin has opted for small
limits on alias files.

Bill
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.150412.5589@cs.dal.ca> silvert%biome@cs.dal.ca writes:
>This is a nice idea.  It would be particularly useful for users
>who have lots of aliases on a machine where sysadmin has opted for small
>limits on alias files.

The fact that the alias files have any size limit at all is an artifact
of the hashing scheme.  If the alias system is totally gutted and
replaced in the next release, as has been threatened, I would expect
that the size limitations will be gone.  I dunno for sure, though...
--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.