[comp.mail.elm] Folder corrupted error

cubfan@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rick Casares) (04/04/91)

Can anyone here verify if the explanantion below is true.

>>what does it mean when I try to use elm and it gives me the following message:
>>
>>Reading in /usr/spool/mail/jmaster, message: 0
>>Folder is corrupt!!  I can't read it!!

Second user repsonds by saying:

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Navarra) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.194126.17428@leland.Stanford.EDU> cubfan@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rick Casares) writes:
>Can anyone here verify if the explanantion below is true.
>

>>>what does it mean when I try to use elm and it gives me the following message:
>>>
>>>Reading in /usr/spool/mail/jmaster, message: 0
>>>Folder is corrupt!!  I can't read it!!
>>>

>Second user repsonds by saying:
>
>>    This often happens to me.  It means that you have received a mail message
>>with some kind of header that Elm can't figure out.  It seems to have trouble
>>with headers of messages that come back because they can't be delivered.  I
>>haven't bothered to figure out whether the problem is with Elm, or with the
>>machine that bounces the mail back.  Anyway, use the regular Unix mail program
>>to read your mail, and get rid of the message that is confusing Elm.

    This sort of thing happens because whoever compiled elm on your system
 kept the edit mailbox feature which allows common users to mess up their
 header. You can edit your folder in /usr/spool/mail back to what it shold be
 and then everything will return to normal. Or just mail yourself a message
 and copy it your Mail file.

--
From the Lab of the MaD ScIenTiST:

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

deon@aim1.UUCP (Deon Botha) (04/28/91)

cubfan@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rick Casares) writes:

>Can anyone here verify if the explanantion below is true.
>>>Folder is corrupt!!  I can't read it!!
>>    This often happens to me.  It means that you have received a mail message
>>with some kind of header that Elm can't figure out.  It seems to have trouble
>>with headers of messages that come back because they can't be delivered.  I
>>haven't bothered to figure out whether the problem is with Elm, or with the
>>machine that bounces the mail back.  Anyway, use the regular Unix mail program
>>to read your mail, and get rid of the message that is confusing Elm.

We had the same problem on SCO Unix 3.2v2 caused by the mail/mailx utility
inserting 4 Ctrl-A's to seperate mail items in the user's folder. We are
currently using a "tr" script to strip all Ctrl-A's out. This is not a
good solution as new mail arriving causes new "corruption"; fortunately
elm just exits...etc.

We intend to modify the nn sources to sort this out, unless a fix is posted....
We are using SCO's mmdf environment for mail delivery and routing after
recently switching from the now de-func Intel Unix 3.2.2. It seemed like
les trouble to plough through the 6-odd config files than to convince
SCO fussy security that smail3.1 is capable of taking over.

dad@cbnewsl.att.com (d.a.de graaf) (05/01/91)

In article <4@aim1.UUCP>, deon@aim1.UUCP (Deon Botha) writes:

> Stuff deleted about SCO mmdf's perverse practice of delimiting messages
> with 4 Cntl-A's and how this makes mail file "corrupted" for elm.

The Configure script for elm 2.3, PL11 includes the question "Does this
system use MMDF as its MTA?".  If you answer this question affirmatively
all will be well.  The elm developers have included workarounds for this
inconsiderate arrogance of the SCO developers.

I often think how much simpler life would be if people would spend half
as much time learning how the system works already as they do developing
new redundant stuff.

--
	Dave De Graaf,  whgsu.att.com!panda!dad