[comp.mail.elm] Elm's From: line....

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (04/30/91)

When you tell Elm to add the From: line, why
does it add a line in the form of:

From: Full Name <user@host>

Instead of:

From: user@host (Full Name)

I see the latter form used everywhere, and only
Elm seems to generate the former.

Am I configuring something wrong?

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
        mcdchg!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us

rmmqq11@uts.mcc.ac.uk (A. Thew.) (05/02/91)

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:

> When you tell Elm to add the From: line, why
> does it add a line in the form of:
>
> From: Full Name <user@host>
>
> Instead of:
>
> From: user@host (Full Name)

I assume that sendmail is adding the former and that's very common. In fact
why can't elm produce a To: field of form 1, this would appear to be
more conformant with RFC822 (this sounds like a FAQ.....).
--
      Alan Thew :
Internet/Bitnet : rmmqq11%uts@dir.mcc.ac.uk

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/03/91)

rmmqq11@uts.mcc.ac.uk (A. Thew.) writes:
>> From: Full Name <user@host>
>>
>> Instead of:
>>
>> From: user@host (Full Name)

>In fact why can't elm produce a To: field of form 1, this would appear
>to be more conformant with RFC822 (this sounds like a FAQ.....).

Neither is more conformant.  Either it conforms or it doesn't and both
conform to the spec.  The first form specified that <user@host> is the
intersystem transport address and "Full Name" is the local qualifier.
(Just that most systems totally ignore the local qualifier is irrelavant)

The second form says user@host is the complete address and (...) is a
comment that is never to be seen by the delivery agents.

See the example "George, Ted" <Shared@Group.Arpanet> in RFC822 on page 36,
heading A.1.3.

It really doesn't matter and I have no idea why Dave used that form,
perhaps it was easier to deal with for some of his earlier non RFC-822
MTA's.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235