[comp.mail.elm] Two Problems

cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) (04/28/91)

Two very annoying problems ... can anyone help?  I'm running SCO Unix
3.2.2.

1)	When elm is run as root over a modem (but not on the console) the
screen-handling goes to pot and everything appears at the top of the
screen.  Actually, this may be a general SCO problem as less V1.77
crashes under the same circumstances.

2)	When trying to send a file as mail with a subject of, say, "This
is a File", elm tries to send mail with a subject of "This" to is, a,
File and the user.  The syntax I use is:
	elm -s "This is a file" user@domain.co.uk

	Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on these problems.
		Cliff.
--
Cliff Stanford				Email:	cliff@demon.co.uk (Work)
Demon Systems Limited				cms@demon.co.uk   (Home)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (05/05/91)

In article <1991Apr27.205639.13912@demon.co.uk> cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) writes:
>Two very annoying problems ... can anyone help?  I'm running SCO Unix
>3.2.2.
>
>1)	When elm is run as root over a modem (but not on the console) the
>screen-handling goes to pot and everything appears at the top of the
>screen.  Actually, this may be a general SCO problem as less V1.77
>crashes under the same circumstances.

I had posted this problem some months ago. It occured, as you say, only when
running as root over a modem. There was no good answer provided by anyone.
The problem went away after I installed one of the SLS upgrades that I
downloaded from SCO. But I can't now recall which of the SLSs it was.

>2)	When trying to send a file as mail with a subject of, say, "This
>is a File", elm tries to send mail with a subject of "This" to is, a,
>File and the user.  The syntax I use is:
>	elm -s "This is a file" user@domain.co.uk

I use such sytnax all the time with no problem. Which shell are you in, or is
this command in some script.

Jean-Pierre Radley   Unix in NYC   jpr@jpr.com   jpradley!jpr   CIS: 72160,1341

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (05/05/91)

others said:

>>2)	When trying to send a file as mail with a subject of, say, "This
>>is a File", elm tries to send mail with a subject of "This" to is, a,
>>File and the user.  The syntax I use is:
>>	elm -s "This is a file" user@domain.co.uk

Under csh,
	elm -s'This is a file' user@domain.co.uk
works for me. But of course,
	elm -s'That's a file, too' user@domain.co.uk
fails, as expected......

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM