[comp.mail.elm] elmheaders question

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (04/14/91)

I would like to put a header in my .elm/elmheaders file like:

WARNING: This message will self-destruct!!!

Under the Elm I'm running (2.3, PL 11), the header becomes:

Warning: This message will self-destruct!!!

Is this standard header behavior?
Is this standard Elm behavior?
Would I want to change this behavior?

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (04/16/91)

Mike O'Connor <mjo@ais.org> wrote:
>I would like to put a header in my .elm/elmheaders file like:
>
>WARNING: This message will self-destruct!!!
>
>Under the Elm I'm running (2.3, PL 11), the header becomes:
>
>Warning: This message will self-destruct!!!

I just did a quick check: it happens here, but I don't see it
in the elm code. I think it must be sendmail that does the change.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (04/25/91)

rasmus@napc.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) wrote:
>I have a Reply-To line in my elmheaders file.  However, it is not in all
>cases I want the Reply-To line to be added.  For example, local mail
>should not have the silly Reply-To line appended and when I add my own
>Reply-To line after writing a message it shouldn't add another one.  I
>sent one message the other day and it turned out to contain two Reply-To
>lines.  Is this a bug or am I just daft?

The contents of the elmheaders file are merely appended to your headers.
There is no processing to eliminate duplicates or whatever. That's
how it works.
--

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (04/28/91)

In <1991Apr25.150333.14057@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US> rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>rasmus@napc.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) wrote:
>>I have a Reply-To line in my elmheaders file.  However, it is not in all
>>cases I want the Reply-To line to be added.  For example, local mail
>>should not have the silly Reply-To line appended and when I add my own
>>Reply-To line after writing a message it shouldn't add another one.  I
>>sent one message the other day and it turned out to contain two Reply-To
>>lines.  Is this a bug or am I just daft?

>The contents of the elmheaders file are merely appended to your headers.
>There is no processing to eliminate duplicates or whatever. That's
>how it works.
>--
>Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
>email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301

I have the same problem.  I most cases I want the Reply-To: line from the
elmheaders file to be put in, but in some cases I do not.

Could the developers of ELM make a change to the next release of ELM to
append the headers out of the elmheaders file BEFORE you edit the text,
and allow them to be editted and/or deleted either while editting the
text or with the "edit headers" command?

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/29/91)

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:

>In <1991Apr25.150333.14057@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US> rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>The contents of the elmheaders file are merely appended to your headers.
>>There is no processing to eliminate duplicates or whatever. That's
>>how it works.
>I have the same problem.  I most cases I want the Reply-To: line from the
>elmheaders file to be put in, but in some cases I do not.

>Could the developers of ELM make a change to the next release of ELM to
>append the headers out of the elmheaders file BEFORE you edit the text,
>and allow them to be editted and/or deleted either while editting the
>text or with the "edit headers" command?
No, we cannot make such a change.  The problem is in how Elm tells
the MTA where the headers end and the message starts.  Anything in
the text buffer is part of the text of the message and not the headers.

It would require a rewrite of how Elm handles the headers to change this
which is why cries for editable headers and text have fallen on deaf
ears. Its just not the way Elm was written and without a rewrite it
won't happen.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/29/91)

In <1991Apr28.221614.446@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:

>>Could the developers of ELM make a change to the next release of ELM to
>>append the headers out of the elmheaders file BEFORE you edit the text,
>>and allow them to be editted and/or deleted either while editting the
>>text or with the "edit headers" command?
>No, we cannot make such a change.  The problem is in how Elm tells
>the MTA where the headers end and the message starts.  Anything in
>the text buffer is part of the text of the message and not the headers.

>It would require a rewrite of how Elm handles the headers to change this
>which is why cries for editable headers and text have fallen on deaf
>ears. Its just not the way Elm was written and without a rewrite it
>won't happen.

And I don't think it should.  I wouldn't want beginning level users
seing headers in the editing buffer.  I think the way Elm works is just
GREAT!

What I would like to see instead is a powerful macro language to handle
this kind of thing.  With a nice macro language with user variables,
program flow control, conditional expression, the ability to tap into
the environment, and a few other goodies we could make Elm
sing-and-dance.

You could let users name macros, bind them to keys, and have named
macros executed through hooks in the code like:

    pre-edit-format-macro    run the edit buffer through this before
                             the editor is called
    post-edit-format-macro   run after the editor returns
    pre-mail-macro           run directly before passing message to
                             Unix/Xenix MTA program.

And some controls like switches to split the body of a letter into
pieces if it is larger than a given size, duplicate the header, append
"Part X of X" to the Subject: header and mail in pieces.

Any chance of any of this happening?
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.221614.446@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:
>
>>In <1991Apr25.150333.14057@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US> rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>>The contents of the elmheaders file are merely appended to your headers.
>>>There is no processing to eliminate duplicates or whatever. That's
>>>how it works.
>>I have the same problem.  I most cases I want the Reply-To: line from the
>>elmheaders file to be put in, but in some cases I do not.
>
>>Could the developers of ELM make a change to the next release of ELM to
>>append the headers out of the elmheaders file BEFORE you edit the text,
>>and allow them to be editted and/or deleted either while editting the
>>text or with the "edit headers" command?
>No, we cannot make such a change.  The problem is in how Elm tells
>the MTA where the headers end and the message starts.  Anything in
>the text buffer is part of the text of the message and not the headers.
>
>It would require a rewrite of how Elm handles the headers to change this
>which is why cries for editable headers and text have fallen on deaf
>ears. Its just not the way Elm was written and without a rewrite it
>won't happen.

Then how about letting us edit them in the user defined headers
section?

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

pravin@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/06/91)

I have a little question about the way elmheaders works.  I get a blank
line in my messages sent by elm between the mail headers and the header
generated by elmheaders.  Is this supposed to be so, and how can I
suppress it.  Because of the blank line, my header becomes part of the
message.   Also on elmheaders, while replying to a message, if I want to
include the sender's name and time their message was sent/received, what
do I put in the elmheaders file.  I assume it can be done, as I have
seen it in some other mail messages.

Thanks!

pravin

pmm@MIPS.com (Paul M. Moriarty) (05/08/91)

In article <1991Apr30.002530.12097@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.221614.446@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>>herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:

>>>Could the developers of ELM make a change to the next release of ELM to
>>>append the headers out of the elmheaders file BEFORE you edit the text,
>>>and allow them to be editted and/or deleted either while editting the
>>>text or with the "edit headers" command?
>>
>>It would require a rewrite of how Elm handles the headers to change this
>>which is why cries for editable headers and text have fallen on deaf
>>ears. Its just not the way Elm was written and without a rewrite it
>>won't happen.
>
>Then how about letting us edit them in the user defined headers
>section?

How about allowing "Expert Users" as defined in the options screen edit
their headers but hide it from others?

I think the User level stuff could be used much more often in this manner.

--
Paul M. Moriarty               pmm@mips.com          {ames,decwrl}!mips!pmm
Sr Systems Administrator

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (05/09/91)

In article <3192@spim.mips.COM> pmm@MIPS.com (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.002530.12097@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:

>>>It would require a rewrite of how Elm handles the headers to change this
>>>which is why cries for editable headers and text have fallen on deaf
>>>ears. Its just not the way Elm was written and without a rewrite it
>>>won't happen.
>>
>>Then how about letting us edit them in the user defined headers
>>section?
>>

>How about allowing "Expert Users" as defined in the options screen edit
>their headers but hide it from others?
>
>I think the User level stuff could be used much more often in this manner.

Paul,
   I think that Syd is right when he says that this stuff falls on
deaf ears.  I have posted about 4 or 5 notes on this and I haven't
even had the courtesy of a note telling me to go s*** in my hat from
him.  I don't even know if he gets my posts.  At least from yours I
can see that other systems are seeing them.

  How about it Syd?  Can you even give a common courtesy such as email
or news article to someone that asks a question?

Jim

--

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May08.222844.24335@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>  How about it Syd?  Can you even give a common courtesy such as email
>or news article to someone that asks a question?

There's a lot more involved than just "common courtesy".  It involves
LOTS of time!  I think if Syd spent enough time answering questions to
keep up with the traffic in this group, he'd never have a chance to do any
further development on his software!

I think it is up to us, the Usenet community, to help each other out
when necessary.

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/11/91)

In <1991May9.225312.389@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <1991May08.222844.24335@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>>  How about it Syd?  Can you even give a common courtesy such as email
>>or news article to someone that asks a question?
>>

>There's a lot more involved than just "common courtesy".  It involves
>LOTS of time!  I think if Syd spent enough time answering questions to
>keep up with the traffic in this group, he'd never have a chance to do any
>further development on his software!

>I think it is up to us, the Usenet community, to help each other out
>when necessary.

I don't think there should ever be a question about that here.  If the
guy is nice enough to maintain and distribute this program for free we
have no right to demand responses or talk about common courtesy.

It seems to me that with the ranking on the ShareWare programmers and
this kind of attitude towards the FreeWare programmers there are an
awfully large number of users who are plenty ungrateful and have no
appreciation for what they are getting for free.

Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov