[comp.mail.elm] filter & vacation?

brooks@sundance7.dab.ge.com (Stephen Brooks) (05/16/91)

  Anyone have any suggestions on how (if possible) to use both "filter" and
a "vacation" (or equivalent) program?  What should the .forward file look
like?  With "filter", the .forward file looks like this:

"| /util/bin/filter -o /usr/users/brooks/.elm/filter_errors"

I currently let "filter" save mail messages from a couple of mailing lists
to the appropriate folders.  However, I don't need "vacation" to send the
mailing lists a response that I'm on vacation.

Anyone done this (use "filter" and a vacation program at the same time)?
Any hints/tips/etc. would be appreciated.
--
%% Stephen (Steve) M. Brooks       %% brooks@ge-dab.ge.com              %%
%% GE Simulation & Control Systems %% ...!uunet!ge-dab.ge.com!brooks    %%

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (05/16/91)

brooks@sundance7.dab.ge.com (Stephen Brooks) writes:

>  Anyone have any suggestions on how (if possible) to use both "filter" and
>a "vacation" (or equivalent) program?  What should the .forward file look
>like?  With "filter", the .forward file looks like this:
>
>"| /util/bin/filter -o /usr/users/brooks/.elm/filter_errors"
>
>I currently let "filter" save mail messages from a couple of mailing lists
>to the appropriate folders.  However, I don't need "vacation" to send the
>mailing lists a response that I'm on vacation.
>
>Anyone done this (use "filter" and a vacation program at the same time)?
>Any hints/tips/etc. would be appreciated.

I'm about to try this.  My assumption is that Elm's arepdaemon actually
doesn't see the messages until they're added to my mailbox.  So if I
catch them with a filter rule (which I've changed from "savecopy" to
"save" while I'm gone), then only those messages that get put into
my mailbox will be autoreplied to.  And I've set up a crontab entry
to run "filter -sc" periodically so that I'll be sent a count of
what messages have been stored in my various mailboxes while I'm gone.

Anyone got any comments on my scheme?  Like if arepdaemon doesn't do
what I think?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :