[comp.mail.elm] elm and .signature files

dnmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller) (05/10/91)

As a newcomer to elm, I find the way it handles .signature
files to be, well, regrettable.

Unlike mm and rn/trn, elm adds the contents of one's
.signature file to the editable message; that is, invoke
vi and there's the contents of the .signature file,
cluttering up the editing area.  The doesn't seem to be
any alternative to pushing the d*** text down as one
composes and edits, or dG-ing the signature away altogether
and reading it back in (sans leading hyphens) before saving
and quitting.

I thought that the whole point of a .signature file is to
keep it out of the way and have it appended (or not) at
the point of sending the message on its way.  That's why
mm and rn/trn prompts with an "append signature?" type
question.

Am I missing something?  I'm more or less of a novice, and
wouldn't be surprised if I am.  Or is elm just poorly
designed in this respect?  If the latter, what's the hope of
whipping it up to shape in a future revision?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

--
David Neal Miller

Internet: miller.3@osu.edu
Bitnet:   miller.3@ohstmail

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/11/91)

dnmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller) writes:
>As a newcomer to elm, I find the way it handles .signature
>files to be, well, regrettable.

>Unlike mm and rn/trn, elm adds the contents of one's
>.signature file to the editable message;
>Am I missing something?  I'm more or less of a novice, and
>wouldn't be surprised if I am.  Or is elm just poorly
>designed in this respect?
The reason Dave left the sig in the editable portion of the message
was to allow it to be edited also.  Now I must admit I rarely
edit my sig as part of the message.  But that was his intention.

Is it poor design?  Thats subjective.  It was what he intended and
he had his reason.  Do we intend to change it.... Not presently,
there are many more important things missing from 2.4 before that one.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

pedregal@legato.cs.umass.edu (Cris Pedregal-Martin) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.185112.28744@DSI.COM>, syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
|> dnmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller) writes:
[...]
|> >Unlike mm and rn/trn, elm adds the contents of one's
|> >.signature file to the editable message;
[...]

|> The reason Dave left the sig in the editable portion of the message
|> was to allow it to be edited also.  Now I must admit I rarely
|> edit my sig as part of the message.  But that was his intention.

I, for one, edit my signature often (e.g. to remove some part, or to
expand my e-address when writing to an e-mail-illiterate :-) person).
On the other hand, I always leave _some_ signature, so I don't see a
need for a question asking me whether to include it.

|> Is it poor design?  Thats subjective.  It was what he intended and
|> he had his reason.  Do we intend to change it.... Not presently,
|> there are many more important things missing from 2.4 before that one.

My vote is leave is at is.

--Cris

[using the newsreader mailer and hence a lean signature :-)]

--
                   Cristobal Pedregal Martin
COINS Dept. - UMass -  Amherst, MA 01003   --  pedregal@cs.umass.edu

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (05/14/91)

syd@DSI.COM wrote:
>dnmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller) writes:
>>As a newcomer to elm, I find the way it handles .signature
>>files to be, well, regrettable.
>
>>Unlike mm and rn/trn, elm adds the contents of one's
>>.signature file to the editable message;
>>Am I missing something?  I'm more or less of a novice, and
>>wouldn't be surprised if I am.  Or is elm just poorly
>>designed in this respect?
>The reason Dave left the sig in the editable portion of the message
>was to allow it to be edited also.  Now I must admit I rarely
>edit my sig as part of the message.  But that was his intention.

Actually, my recollection was that this was a change made by the ELM
development group by popular demand. The thinking was that if you
did want to edit the signature, if it was included you could, or you
could simply ignore it.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (05/14/91)

From: ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gail Gurman)

Personally, I would like the ability to designate certain people for whom
my .signature does NOT get appended.  I have a very simple .sig that simply
tells people my address.  My friends already know my address and have aliases
for me, so they don't need the information.  As it is right now, I delete
my .sig more often than not.

Needless to say, I'm glad that elm doesn't automatically append the .sig
after I'm done editing.  Perhaps, however, this could be an option for
those who do.  Maybe it could come just after the optional list of
NOSIG aliases in the .elmrc?

Gail
Send mail to:	ggurman@cory.Berkeley.EDU

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (05/15/91)

According to dnmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller):
>Unlike mm and rn/trn, elm adds the contents of one's
>.signature file to the editable message.

It's a feature.  If you want to enhance, trim or eliminate your
signature from a particular message, it's easy.
--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]

fr@compu.com (Fred Rump from home) (05/15/91)

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>Actually, my recollection was that this was a change made by the ELM
>development group by popular demand. The thinking was that if you
>did want to edit the signature, if it was included you could, or you
>could simply ignore it.

I certainly would not want this option changed.

fred
--
W. Fred Rump 			office:		   fred.COMPU.COM
26 Warren St.   	          home:     fred@icdi10.COMPU.COM

griswold@infonode.ingr.com (John L. Griswold) (05/16/91)

fr@compu.com (Fred Rump from home) writes:

>rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>>Actually, my recollection was that this was a change made by the ELM
>>development group by popular demand. The thinking was that if you
>>did want to edit the signature, if it was included you could, or you
>>could simply ignore it.

>I certainly would not want this option changed.

Ditto

>fred
>--
>W. Fred Rump 			office:		   fred.COMPU.COM
>26 Warren St.   	          home:     fred@icdi10.COMPU.COM
>Beverly, NJ. 08010                bang:   ...{dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fred
>609-386-6846          "Freude... Alle Menschen werden Brueder..."  -  The Ode

| John L. Griswold                           | Bentley-Systems Inc.       |
| UUCP: ...uunet!ingr!bntley!jlgbox!griswold | 690 Pennsylvania Drive     |
| AT&T: (215) 458-5000                       | Eagleview Corporate Center |
| ** My views are rarely shared by anyone ** | Exton, PA 19341, USA       |

--