[comp.mail.elm] Help me

Sean Sowder <ssowder@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (05/13/91)

Okay I am very new to elm (an hour or so).  I do have some questions.
After reading alot of this newsgroup, consulting on Quartz, interactive
help in the mail, and man elm I STILL have questions.

I read that other were complaining about the .signature file being
included in the editing of a new message, well I do not see mine, and it
is not sent with my message.  Do i have the move the .signature into
~/.elm/.signature or something?

Okay with aliases.  I see there are like three files that have something
to do with this.  All I want to do is create a file like the .mailrc
file containing alias help comp.mail.elm.  But so I am still able to
have help aliased to apropos in the .cshrc

One final question, how do I include a file.  I saw alot of info about
this but little made since to me.  No easy ~r filename.ext huh?  Is
there a command in vi to include a file?

Thanks for the help.
-Sid

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/13/91)

ssowder@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Sean Sowder) writes:
>Okay I am very new to elm (an hour or so).  I do have some questions.
>After reading alot of this newsgroup, consulting on Quartz, interactive
>help in the mail, and man elm I STILL have questions.
Please, also refer to the Reference Guide and the Users Guide, they
both answer a lot of the questions.  They are part of the Elm distribution
and if you didn't install Elm, bug the person who did to print you a copy.

>I read that other were complaining about the .signature file being
>included in the editing of a new message, well I do not see mine, and it
>is not sent with my message.  Do i have the move the .signature into
>~/.elm/.signature or something?
The .sig's are in the home directory, and must be specified in the
elmrc file (in .elm).  Use the save options command under the option
menu to create the initial elmrc file for editing.

>Okay with aliases.  I see there are like three files that have something
>to do with this.  All I want to do is create a file like the .mailrc
>file containing alias help comp.mail.elm.  But so I am still able to
>have help aliased to apropos in the .cshrc
You are confused, Elm alaises have nothing to do with commands. They
have to do with short nick names for longer addresses.  They only
effect Elm and only when an address is called for.

>One final question, how do I include a file.  I saw alot of info about
>this but little made since to me.  No easy ~r filename.ext huh?  Is
>there a command in vi to include a file?
The 'built-in' or 'none' editor (text appender) supports the ~r and ~m
syntax.

When in an editor, using the 'readmsg' command with no arguments should
cat the current message.  (In vi typing !!readmsg on an empty line should
insert the current message )

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

jjohnson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James R Johnson) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May13.010900.26296@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>ssowder@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Sean Sowder) writes:
>>One final question, how do I include a file.  I saw alot of info about
>>this but little made since to me.  No easy ~r filename.ext huh?  Is
>>there a command in vi to include a file?
>The 'built-in' or 'none' editor (text appender) supports the ~r and ~m
>syntax.
>
>When in an editor, using the 'readmsg' command with no arguments should
>cat the current message.  (In vi typing !!readmsg on an empty line should
>insert the current message )

My question and/or problem is similar and I have been waiting for the
subject to surface.   I use emacs as my default editor (I specified
this in my .elmrc) because that is the editor that I use day to day and
am most familiar with.  Emacs command ctrl-x ctrl-i is the command
sequence that I invoke to include a file when I am nomally running
emacs.  The problem comes in when I try to invoke that sequence when I
am running emacs from within elm.  It does recognize the command, but is
unable to find the file, even though the file exists in my work directory.
What I usually have to end up doing is using my system's version of Columbia
MM and dump the file from my work dir to the email.
Suggestions, comments, questions?
Thanks
Jim

Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?  Hobbes-Calvin/Hobbes
            (((0)))		    *    jjohnson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.235518.15297@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jjohnson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James R Johnson) writes:
>My question and/or problem is similar and I have been waiting for the
>subject to surface.   I use emacs as my default editor (I specified
>this in my .elmrc) because that is the editor that I use day to day and
>am most familiar with.  Emacs command ctrl-x ctrl-i is the command
>sequence that I invoke to include a file when I am nomally running
>emacs.  The problem comes in when I try to invoke that sequence when I
>am running emacs from within elm.  It does recognize the command, but is
>unable to find the file, even though the file exists in my work directory.

I find that I need to specify the full path to the file,
i.e. /files/home/users/heiser/file, or ~/file.

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/18/91)

jjohnson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu wrote:
>  Emacs command ctrl-x ctrl-i is the command
>sequence that I invoke to include a file when I am nomally running
>emacs.  The problem comes in when I try to invoke that sequence when I
>am running emacs from within elm.  It does recognize the command, but is
>unable to find the file, even though the file exists in my work directory.

 That's because when you enter emacs from within Elm, your current
directory is /tmp. If you'll notice, when you type C-x C-i, you'll see
it leading off with '/tmp/'. You just have to give it your work
directory's path. For example, if it's in your login directory, you'd type:

	Include file: /tmp/~/work/this.file

(you don't have to erase the /tmp/ that's already there; naming
another directory [in this case ~] overrides what comes before)

 I've used Emacs comfortably in Elm for a good while now, without any
problems.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

pravin@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/18/91)

In a previous article brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
|jjohnson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu wrote:
|>  Emacs command ctrl-x ctrl-i is the command
|>sequence that I invoke to include a file when I am nomally running
|>emacs.  The problem comes in when I try to invoke that sequence when I
|>am running emacs from within elm.  It does recognize the command, but is
|>unable to find the file, even though the file exists in my work directory.
|
| That's because when you enter emacs from within Elm, your current
|directory is /tmp. If you'll notice, when you type C-x C-i, you'll see
|it leading off with '/tmp/'. You just have to give it your work
|directory's path. For example, if it's in your login directory, you'd type:
|
|	Include file: /tmp/~/work/this.file

I don't face any such problem in my editing.  I can read in any file
in the directory I invoke elm from, by just givingthe file name after
^X^I.  BTW, I use microemacs, not emacs.  However that should not make
a difference!  Probably it has to do with the way elm has been
configured on your machine..

pravin

--
This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.
Your message will cost the net enough to bankrupt your entire planet, and