[comp.mail.elm] Alias Question

gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) (05/24/91)

Hi I would like to know how to set up an alias for say 40 people in
elm.  When I try to set up my alias it only gives me one line to
type all the addresses and I need more lines to type all the names in.

Is their and easier way?

Thanks in advance,

Mario L. Gonzales

| Mario L. Gonzales |    gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu  <HOME>  | Oregon State   |
| Wilson Hall #311  |    gonzalm@mist.cs.orst.edu           | Univeristy     |
| Corvallis, OR     +---------------------------------------|================|
| 97331-1413        |    A Liberal is a man too broadminded | University     |
|                   |    to take his own side in a quarrel. | Computing      |
|-------------------+                                       | Services (UCS) |
| IBM PC & MAC      | There are only two side to every      |----------------|
| Literate :-}      | question: my side and the wrong side. | Kerr Comp. Lab |
+-------------------+---------------------------------------+----------------+

knodel@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jeffrey H Knodel) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.195339.12172@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) writes:
:Hi I would like to know how to set up an alias for say 40 people in
:elm.  When I try to set up my alias it only gives me one line to
:type all the addresses and I need more lines to type all the names in.
:

biggroup = My big group = biggroup1 biggroup2 biggroup3 ... biggroupN
biggroup1 = part one = <member list>
biggroup2 = part two = <member list>
biggroup3 = part three = <member list>
alias biggroupN = part N = <member list>

- The slinky of destiny is making is making its way to the top of the stairs. -
ARPA: knodel@cis.ohio-state.edu |-------- | UUCP: osu-cis.ohio-state.edu!knodel
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=PERSONAL: knodel@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

bixenman@groucho.ocpt.ccur.com (news admin) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May24.133722.25548@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, knodel@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jeffrey H Knodel) writes:
> In article <1991May23.195339.12172@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) writes:
> :Hi I would like to know how to set up an alias for say 40 people in
> :elm.  When I try to set up my alias it only gives me one line to
> :type all the addresses and I need more lines to type all the names in.
> biggroup = My big group = biggroup1 biggroup2 biggroup3 ... biggroupN
> biggroup1 = part one = <member list>
> biggroup2 = part two = <member list>
> biggroup3 = part three = <member list>
> alias biggroupN = part N = <member list>
 Shouldn't that be: biggroup1 = blabla
                    biggroupN = blablabla
 and then           biggroup = biggroup1 ... biggroupN

 The entries for the alias must be defined prior to it's use in a group alias.
 Concurrent Computer Corporation        Mike Bixenman
 2 Crescent Place                       mikeb@macbeth.ocpt.ccur.com
 Oceanport, NJ 07757                    "I am not a spokesperson for CCUR"

torsten@daimi.aau.dk (Torsten B. Hagemann) (06/03/91)

bixenman@groucho.ocpt.ccur.com (news admin) writes:

>In article <1991May24.133722.25548@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, knodel@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jeffrey H Knodel) writes:
>> In article <1991May23.195339.12172@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) writes:
>> :Hi I would like to know how to set up an alias for say 40 people in
>> :elm.  When I try to set up my alias it only gives me one line to
>> :type all the addresses and I need more lines to type all the names in.
>> biggroup = My big group = biggroup1 biggroup2 biggroup3 ... biggroupN
>> biggroup1 = part one = <member list>
>> biggroup2 = part two = <member list>
>> biggroup3 = part three = <member list>
>> alias biggroupN = part N = <member list>
> Shouldn't that be: biggroup1 = blabla
>                    biggroupN = blablabla
> and then           biggroup = biggroup1 ... biggroupN

> The entries for the alias must be defined prior to it's use in a group alias.

Why not use an editor, where it is possible to exceed a line. Make your very
long alias, quit editor, give the system-command newalias and then enter elm.

/Torsten