[comp.mail.elm] 8-bit character disply in ELM

shelley@b11.ingr.com (Shelley R. Heard) (06/06/91)

I'm new to the group so this may be an age old question.
Can elm handle 8 bit characters.  Or is it too generic to
try?  From time to time I send mail with letters such as the
Spanish ene (n with a ~ over it) and elm substitues the letter
'q'.  The octal value of ene is 361 and of 'q' is 161.
Is there a way to make elm send all 8 bits to the terminal?  I
would olny be sending such mail to machines that have the same
extended ascii character mappings as mine.

Thanks ... Shelley R. Heard

--
   ~ ~    Shelley R. Heard (shelley@b11.ingr.com)
 ( o o )  Intergraph Corporation/Huntsville, AL

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/07/91)

shelley@b11.ingr.com (Shelley R. Heard) writes:
>I'm new to the group so this may be an age old question.
>Can elm handle 8 bit characters.  Or is it too generic to
>try?  From time to time I send mail with letters such as the
>Spanish ene (n with a ~ over it) and elm substitues the letter
>'q'.  The octal value of ene is 361 and of 'q' is 161.
>Is there a way to make elm send all 8 bits to the terminal?  I
>would olny be sending such mail to machines that have the same
>extended ascii character mappings as mine.
Elm is 8 bit clean, and in 2.4 will even support LOCALE and NLS.
There is one check, in the internal pager for printable characters,
that on systems that sign extend chars may need to be anded with
0xff. (2.4 contains that for all systems).  Note, that not all
external pagers are 8 bit clean either.

The real problem, is that many intervening systems, use 7 bit chars
and strip the 8th bit when they transfer the message.  Elm can do
nothing about the MTAs either on your system, or on intervening systems.

If the path from your system through to the foreign one is 8 bit
clean, Elm should be fine.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (06/08/91)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>Elm is 8 bit clean, and in 2.4 will even support LOCALE and NLS.
>There is one check, in the internal pager for printable characters,
>that on systems that sign extend chars may need to be anded with
>0xff. (2.4 contains that for all systems).  Note, that not all
>external pagers are 8 bit clean either.

if only the underlying unixes were as good, for instance interactive's
iscntl() will tell you that an 'sz' (sharp s in german) is a control
character, no matter what you define in the character class files,
so i had to dike it out. btw, less works nicely as an 8bit pager.

>The real problem, is that many intervening systems, use 7 bit chars
>and strip the 8th bit when they transfer the message.  Elm can do
>nothing about the MTAs either on your system, or on intervening systems.

just say no to sendmail...
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

kandall@nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) (06/08/91)

shelley@b11.ingr.com (Shelley R. Heard) writes:
>I'm new to the group so this may be an age old question.
>Can elm handle 8 bit characters.

I use the pager variable and set it to a program which can display
Japanese.

robert@dg.se (Robert Claeson) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.161149.13603@infonode.ingr.com>,
shelley@b11.ingr.com (Shelley R. Heard) writes:

|> Can elm handle 8 bit characters.  Or is it too generic to
|> try?  From time to time I send mail with letters such as the
|> Spanish ene (n with a ~ over it) and elm substitues the letter
|> 'q'.  The octal value of ene is 361 and of 'q' is 161.
|> Is there a way to make elm send all 8 bits to the terminal?  I
|> would olny be sending such mail to machines that have the same
|> extended ascii character mappings as mine.

I have no problems using 8 bit character in ELM. Just make sure that you
answer
"yes" to the question in Configure that asks you whether your system has
a "safe"
isprint() function (this assumes that you're using a System V-ish
system) and
that you have the following System V stty settings set: cs8 -parenb
-istrip.
Your terminal must also use 8 bit character, of course.
--
Robert Claeson

Just because I am writing this doesn't mean that my employer agrees
with me.