[comp.mail.elm] unable to invoke "/usr/ucb/vi" for composition???

kevinf@informix.com (Kevin Franden) (06/14/91)

This may be a FAQ but I can't find the FAQ's for our site... it
seems to have expired for this group; so here goes.

There is a nasty problem in the couple of versions of Elm I have
(2.2.16 and a beta of 2.3 someone scrounged from somewhere);
occasionally, a user will get:

	Warning: can't invoke "/usr/ucb/vi" for composition

From which Elm promptly forgets the users (almost always) long mail that
he/she was typing in.  I'm sure others have seen this as well.

Observations:

	It seems to be memory related - it happens much more frequently
	on machines that are paging or swapping than on machines that
	are not.

	It's very irritating, causing me to slink around the building
	incognito hoping noone will recognise me and attempt to do
	harmful things to my person.

	It nearly always happens on long messages (making it more irritating).

Is this fixed?  Can it be fixed?  Will Magic Johnson retire?  How can I
get the "latest and greatest" of ELm?  What IS the latest and greatest of
Elm?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Franden		    UUCP: {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!kevinf
Informix Software Inc
fprintf(DISCALIMER,"I said what I said and not my employer");
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

There are Lies, Damn lies, Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates

markw@gvlf8-e.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (06/14/91)

In article <kevinf.676849166@tofu> kevinf@informix.com (Kevin Franden) writes:

>There is a nasty problem in the couple of versions of Elm I have
>(2.2.16 and a beta of 2.3 someone scrounged from somewhere);
>occasionally, a user will get:
>
>	Warning: can't invoke "/usr/ucb/vi" for composition

>Is this fixed?  Can it be fixed?  Will Magic Johnson retire?  How can I
>get the "latest and greatest" of ELm?  What IS the latest and greatest of
>Elm?

Yes, this is fixed in the latest version of ELM, which is 2.3 PL11. The
problem is that vi is returning an non-zero result, which it may do for
almost any reason, perhaps for something as simple as trying to position
the cusor above the first line of text! As for how to get it, here's the
info from the latest monthly posting:

------------------------------%<  cut here  >%-----------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.mail.elm
Subject: Elm monthly posting for May/June 1991
Date: 21 May 91 18:39:00 GMT
Expires: Mon, 1 Jul 1991 00:00:00 GMT
Sender: syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein)

This is the monthly Elm Posting from the Elm Development Group and
your Elm Coordinator.  Please send all questions and comments about
this posting or Elm itself to elm@dsi.com (dsinc!elm).  This posting
generated:
Tue May 21 14:34:36 EDT 1991

Current release version: Elm 2.3 PL11
	This version was released at patch level 0.
	comp.sources.unix Posting-number: Volume 22, Issues 60-85
	Archive-name: elm2.3/part01 thru elm2.3/part26
	Patches are posted to comp.sources.bugs and comp.mail.elm
	After they are stable, patches are sent to comp.sources.unix
		Patches 1 through 11 have been sent to comp.sources.unix.
		Patches 1 through 11 are Volume 24 Issues 25-35.
		Archive-name: elm2.3patches/part01 thru elm2.3patches/part11
	Patches are available from the archive server at DSI.COM:
	send mail to archive-server@DSI.COM
	send elm index

Note: the archive server will not respond to users names root, daemon,
postmaster or mailer-daemon.  Please use your own login when requesting
information from the archive server.

The following sites have agreed to make Elm available via anonymous ftp.

	Site			Contact
	mthvax.cs.miami.edu	a.e.mossberg, aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
	  (129.171.32.5)
	wuarchive.wustl.edu	David J. Camp, david@wubios.WUstl.EDU
          (128.252.135.4)

	In Europe:
	archive.cs.ruu.nl	Edwin Kremer, edwin@cs.ruu.nl
	(131.211.80.5)

	In the UK:
	uk.ac.soton.ecs		T.Chown@ecs.soton.ac.uk (bitnet)
				T.Chown@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)

        In Australia:
        ftp.adelaide.edu.au     Mark Prior, mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au
          (129.127.40.3)

                           The Elm(tm) Mail System

	    (C) Copyright 1986, 1987, by Dave Taylor
            (C) Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, USENET Community Trust

			An Overview of the Elm Mail System
			----------------------------------

1. What is Elm?

	In the lingo of the mail guru, Elm is a "User Agent" system,  it's
designed to run with "sendmail" or "/bin/rmail" (according to what's on
your system) and is a full replacement of programs like "/bin/mail" and
"mailx".  The system is more than just a single program, however, and
includes programs like "frm" to list a 'table of contents' of your
mail, "printmail" to quickly paginate mail files (to allow 'clean'
printouts), and "autoreply", a systemwide daemon that can autoanswer
mail for people while they're on vacation without having multiple
copies spawned on the system.

2. What's New about Elm?

	The most significant difference between Elm and earlier mail
systems is that Elm is screen-oriented.  Upon further use, however,
users will find that Elm is also quite a bit easier to use, and quite
a bit more "intelligent" about sending mail and so on.

3. What systems does it work on?

	Elm was originally written on HP-UX, HP's proprietary version
of AT&T System V, with a little BSD thrown in.  Since then, it has been
ported to AT&T, Berkeley, Sun, UTS, Pyramid and Xenix and should run on
all these systems without any modifications.

4. Does it obey existing mail standards?

	Yes!  That's another of the basic reasons the program was
originally written!  To ensure that the date field, the "From:" line
and so on were all added in the correct format.  The program is 100%
correct according to the RFC-822 electronic mail header protocol
guide.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

------------------------------%<  cut here  >%-----------------------------

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!cbmvax!gvlv2!markw

barb@library.calpoly.edu (Barbara Nash) (06/15/91)

kevinf@informix.com (Kevin Franden) elucidates:

>There is a nasty problem in the couple of versions of Elm I have
>(2.2.16 and a beta of 2.3 someone scrounged from somewhere);
>occasionally, a user will get:
>
>	Warning: can't invoke "/usr/ucb/vi" for composition
>
>From which Elm promptly forgets the users (almost always) long mail that
>he/she was typing in.  I'm sure others have seen this as well.

We had a similar problem here, but only with certian users' accounts.
Unfortunately, I can't give you a solution, since the problem went away
when we installed 2.3.11.

>Is this fixed?  Can it be fixed?  Will Magic Johnson retire?  How can I
>get the "latest and greatest" of ELm?  What IS the latest and greatest of
>Elm?

Dunno, yes (of course!  =-) ), yes, ask elm@dsinc, 2.3.11 as far as I know.

Barbara Nash, Asst. System Administator            barb@library.calpoly.edu
Kennedy Library Computer Systems Support           bnash@polyslo.calpoly.edu
#include <std.disclaimer>                          polyslo!holodec!barb