[comp.mail.elm] Hey Syd, here's a couple of ideas!

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (06/20/91)

Please! Don't anyone confuse this with a flame! I love Elm and use it
daily, but one of the managers and a user or two here has complained
about a couple of things and I'd like to make a suggestion or two.

I looked at Cymail, that new commercial package being advertised, and
discussed it with them.  They seem to be responsive, but I ad some
complaints and have some reservations about waiting for a commercial
package to be ported to the platform I might move to someday. Therefore,
I'll look at it some more and see how the Elm community and developers
react to a suggestion or two.

Now for my users comments:

They complained that Elm doesn't have a "menu".  I'd call it a menu, but
I think what they are looking for is a point and shoot type of thing
with the current selection in reverse video and the arrow keys in
control.  Cymail even uses the Lotus-like technique of displaying a 1
liner explaining the currently highlighted option.  Nice, but I
personally like having more of the commands listed on one screen like
the expert level menu on Elm.  Maybe this other style of menu could be
and option?  Oh well, not so important.

Another complaint is no binary attachments.  I know this is easy for
those of us who are "experienced" mail users, but Cymail does have a
good approach for this too.  They make the attach action a command
separate from the composition of the message and attach the files using
uuencode when the message is sent.  Then they strip the attachments
before piping the message to the pager.  Elm could be modified easily
for this and the attachments ommand could be placed on the same menu as
the send command.  Well?

Finally, a nice touch is their editor.  I've seen lots of callsfor a
simple editor, but no great responses.  Cymail does have what seems to
be a good basic editor.  It does the basics and devotes the top four or
so lines of the screen to a list of those simple commands.  Maybe the
Elm development group could come up with something like this, or make a
suggestion of another simple editor like that in the docs to help admins
with naive users.

Another thing I have yet to see is a macro language or API for Elm.
That would be fantastic!

Any possibility of these types of things appearing soon?
--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki| The opinions expressed here are my own and are not

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/20/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>I'll look at it some more and see how the Elm community and developers
>react to a suggestion or two.
I have been told I react poorly to suggestions......

>They complained that Elm doesn't have a "menu".  I'd call it a menu, but
>I think what they are looking for is a point and shoot type of thing
>with the current selection in reverse video and the arrow keys in
>control.
Elm does not have that type of menu currently, but a character based
point and shoot menu is under consideration for the character based
front-end for Elm 3.0.

>Another complaint is no binary attachments.
This one has been under discussion since 2.2 was being developed.  We
even, internally, floated a proposal about it.  No one did anything
with it, partly because the AT&T method, Content-Type:/Content-Length:
for attachments didn't go anywhere and become a 'global' standard,
and at that time, not too much need, compared to now.  Plus, at that
time, most mail transports were not 8 bit clean, so the best
we could do would be a uuencoded attachment....

Now, the IAB is just starting the process of standardizing an attachment
interface/headers.  That work is going to take a while until the standard
becomes published.  I would like Elm 3.0 to honor that standard (and
perhaps also the older AT&T one), but I think it will come out too late
for use in 2.4.

>Finally, a nice touch is their editor.  I've seen lots of callsfor a
>simple editor, but no great responses.
I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
shortcoming.

>Another thing I have yet to see is a macro language or API for Elm.
I need some convincing here that an Elm macro language would really
do something and buy you something....   As for API, I am unsure
how that would be used.... I need some 'education' there.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>Finally, a nice touch is [Cymail's] editor.  I've seen lots of calls for a
>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>shortcoming.

How about MicroEMACS?  I picked it up off an FTP site (I don't remember which)
and set it up on our systems.  Many of our users here use it as an editor for
Elm, and they seem happy with it.  It's easy to learn the basics with it
(they had given up on "vi" long ago), and it's got enough power for more
experienced users.  I'm happy with it because it's small (disk space is at
a premium on our systems), and because it really cuts down on training time.

I patched version 3.8b to handle ANSI cursor keys, but I've heard that 3.10
supports cursor keys defined in termcap.

While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.
When users accidentally select something like (b)ounce or (r)eply, it would
be nice if they could quickly cancel the command, rather than having to step
through all the prompts until they finally get to tell Elm to (f)orget it.
--
Gilles Detillieux			<Gilles@scrc.UManitoba.CA>
Spinal Cord Research Centre		or <grdetil@ccu.UManitoba.CA>

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (06/21/91)

grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:

>In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>>Finally, a nice touch is [Cymail's] editor.  I've seen lots of calls for a
>>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>>shortcoming.

>How about MicroEMACS?  I picked it up off an FTP site (I don't remember which)
>and set it up on our systems.  Many of our users here use it as an editor for
> [...........]
>I patched version 3.8b to handle ANSI cursor keys, but I've heard that 3.10
>supports cursor keys defined in termcap.

We also use uemacs (3.10) with elm and are very happy with it.

>While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.

I would second that one too.

Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/21/91)

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
>>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.
>I would second that one too.

Many will second it, including me, back from the 2.2 development days,
and its an oldy on the requested enhancements list... But, as Elm is
currently written, it keeps too little screen and state info to do this
properly.  As such it will have to wait for 3.0.

In article <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>>Another complaint is no binary attachments.
>This one has been under discussion since 2.2 was being developed.  We
>even, internally, floated a proposal about it.  No one did anything
>with it, partly because the AT&T method, Content-Type:/Content-Length:
>for attachments didn't go anywhere and become a 'global' standard,
>and at that time, not too much need, compared to now.  Plus, at that
>time, most mail transports were not 8 bit clean, so the best
>we could do would be a uuencoded attachment....

>Now, the IAB is just starting the process of standardizing an attachment
>interface/headers.  That work is going to take a while until the standard
>becomes published.  I would like Elm 3.0 to honor that standard (and
>perhaps also the older AT&T one), but I think it will come out too late
>for use in 2.4.

SysVr4 mail has the Content-Type:/Content-Length: headers and doesn't
escape lines starting with From in the body.  It's likely that there
will be a fairly large installed base of these around very soon.
How about working in at least a tolerance for these messages in the
next release?  At the very least, don't look for the start of a new
message within the bounds of a Content-Length: header, add a command
to save the body only which respects the Content-Length: header
(multi-part support would be nice, but just getting the entire multi-part
chunk into its own file would be a start), and don't barf when you
hit NULLs in the body of a message.  Actually I think the performace
gain of doing the initial read/copy of the mailbox with large
read()s and parsing the lines yourself would be worth the trouble
compared to the current fgets(), even aside from the fact that it
would work in the presence of nulls.

>>Another thing I have yet to see is a macro language or API for Elm.
>I need some convincing here that an Elm macro language would really
>do something and buy you something....   As for API, I am unsure
>how that would be used.... I need some 'education' there.

Maybe you should ask in the mush group whether macros and a script
language are useful, since those people would have the most experience
with them.  I think simple macros would be nice but I prefer elm
to mush because you can give most of the commands from within the
built-in pager.  I normally can't tell enough about a message to do
anything predictable without seeing at least the first screen.  One
other thing that I would find very useful would be a way to add and
edit headers when both sending and reading mail.  For example, it
would be nice to be able to add a Keywords: header on received
messages or edit the Subject: line.  Then a command like mush's "pick"
would become useful, where it typically isn't on the mail I receive.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (06/21/91)

While we're talking new ideas...  This is not actually a suggestion
for a new feature in elm, rather, I'd like to hear some comments on
the following:

Most mail UAs, including elm, use the concept of folders.  I find it
hard to utilize this properly.  I tend to save incoming (and outgoing)
mail in folders based on varying criteria.  Some items go into folders
named for the person I'm corresponding with, others by subject.  Right
now, there are 111 different folders in my Mail directory -- and it's
getting more and more difficult to remember exactly where a certain
piece of mail is.

What I'd really love to see, is a UA that uses a free text (inverted
index) database for storing mail items, and has a reasonably powerful
command set for selecting messages.  I'd like to be able to use
selection criteria like "all messages either to or from person a or b",
"all messages where the subject contains the word 'foo'", "the last
30 messages sent", "all messages with the word 'gargleblaster' in
the text", "all messages sent by me last monday", and so on...  (Of
course, the syntax would be different from these examples, and much
less verbose.)

So, comments, anyone?  And, to the elm developers:  How major would
such a change to the basic mail storage system be; would it mean a
more or less total rewrite, or is elm modularized in such a way that
it's possible to replace the storage and folder selection system
with a different mechanism?

Ah, and while I'm posting anyway:  There is a simple change I'd
like to see in elm.  When viewing a mail item on screen, I'd really
like to be able to change to a different folder without having to go
back to the message list first.  (The 'c' key is not used in that
situation, so what I do now is something like "'c' <beep> [grumble]
'i' 'c' '=foldername' 'ret'".  :-)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
Postmaster for domain nhh.no.  Internet mail:  tih@barsoom.nhh.no

nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk (Nigel Metheringham) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun20.192712.26853@ccu.umanitoba.ca> grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:

>In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>>Finally, a nice touch is [Cymail's] editor.  I've seen lots of calls for a
>>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>>shortcoming.

>How about MicroEMACS?  I picked it up off an FTP site (I don't remember which)
>and set it up on our systems.  Many of our users here use it as an editor for
>Elm, and they seem happy with it.  It's easy to learn the basics with it
>(they had given up on "vi" long ago), and it's got enough power for more
>experienced users.  I'm happy with it because it's small (disk space is at
>a premium on our systems), and because it really cuts down on training time.

>I patched version 3.8b to handle ANSI cursor keys, but I've heard that 3.10
>supports cursor keys defined in termcap.

I'm not sure that MicroEMACS would be suitable for distribution as
a mail editor within elm - although we use it extensively here. The
reasons for my lack of enthusiasm are:-
  + It can be a pain to originally build (I am now using a much hacked
    version of ME 3.10, with code ripped out of the VMS function key
    parser and pasted into the Unix termcap driver).
  + Its quite big - it would make the elm distribution
    _significantly_ bigger
  + Its not that customised to handling mail
  + The syntax is, to non emacs-junkies, rather arcance.

My ideal, having had the job of supporting elm (and the general
concept of email) to a set of non-techies, is an editor with about a
dozen commands total, and those fairly clearly listed on screen.

The things that are needed (in no particular order, and with almost
certainly some ommisions) include:-
  + A screen editor with obvious cursor controls
  + A Find command
  + Cut & Paste commands
  + Commands that don't hang up some systems (ie no control-S).
  + Basic text fill/format (if you are going to be clever, then
    make it recognise and treat specially quoted text)
    this includes standard word wrap.
  + Curses or similar inteface so that the darn thing works on
    the vast majority of systems

I think I'll probably end up writing a script for MicroEMACS which
changes its key bindings to make it do what I want - I have already
partically done this by adding word wrap and a reformat key to the
Mail Editor startup.

>While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.
>When users accidentally select something like (b)ounce or (r)eply, it would
>be nice if they could quickly cancel the command, rather than having to step
>through all the prompts until they finally get to tell Elm to (f)orget it.

Agreed - but please not escape - thats the other thing that emacs
has really onfused the world with.  Programs have real trouble
parsing single escape characters if a function key may also be
valid.

	Nigel.

--
# Nigel Metheringham   # (NeXT) EMail: nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk #
# System Administrator #######  Phone: +44 904 432374        #

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun20.235134.18095@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:

>grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:

>>While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
>>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.

>I would second that one too.

That is a standard feature in many packages, including nn.  Spending
more time reading news (!) I keep finding myself hitting ESC in Elm
and getting beeped at ... :-)

As for a simple editor Micro Emacs would be my choice too;  it gives
you easy editing with arrow keys with default insertion and backspace
deleting for you.  All you need to know are the help and write/quit
key sequences.  Though on the face of it simple, it is quite powerful
and you can progress to full GNU Emacs after a while ...

Tim
--

cookc@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Chris Cook) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.192712.26853@ccu.umanitoba.ca> grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:
>While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.
>When users accidentally select something like (b)ounce or (r)eply, it would
>be nice if they could quickly cancel the command, rather than having to step
>through all the prompts until they finally get to tell Elm to (f)orget it.

Gets my vote.  It's really frustrating if you hit the "q" key, then decide you
don't want to quit.

	Chris

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (06/21/91)

grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:

|How about MicroEMACS?  I picked it up off an FTP site (I don't remember which)

I completely agree. MicroEmacs (3.10) is a great editor. But I think
it might be too powerful for Elm. As far as I am concerned, it should
be a small and very simple editor (like simped) because if you use
MicroEmacs, you can also use Vi or any other editor.

Well, here is another idea for ELM: what about a selection menu for the
different mailfolders that exist ? It often happens to me the I type
"+Oldmails" instead of "+OldMails" - a simple selection menu for all
the files would be very nice !

Cheers,
Frank
--
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org | Starnberg, Germany |
| Compuserve: 72427,2101   | Internet: fkk@Germany.Sun.COM   |

fred@compu.com (Fred Rump) (06/21/91)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

        >>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>>Finally, a nice touch is their editor.  I've seen lots of callsfor a
>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>shortcoming.

        I simply don't understand why this request keeps coming up for an
        editor. Doesn't the world out there have a word processor out
        there that can simply be used in text mode?

        My point is always NOT to use some other editor. Stay away from
        vi and use the one thing that you always use to write with. To do
        otherwise confuses the hell out of ordinary joe/jane user.

        News, mail and any other written note or letter needs to want the
        same or very similar functions to keep users using the system.

        Somehow, doing every task with a different tool escapes me as a
        goal.

        fred
--
Fred Rump              | 'A little learning is a dangerous thing/Drink deep
CompuData, Inc.        | or taste not the Pierian spring'    Alexander Pope

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>SysVr4 mail has the Content-Type:/Content-Length: headers and doesn't
>escape lines starting with From in the body.  It's likely that there
>will be a fairly large installed base of these around very soon.
>How about working in at least a tolerance for these messages in the
>next release?
This was supposed to be in 2.3 (We had a pre-release of the
SVR4 concept available to us) but for some reason or another it never
made it in.  It WILL be in 2.4, and it is one of the things holding
up 2.4.  Elm will support generation and use of those headers for
overall message, but not for attachments (in 2.4).  Attachments
will have to wait for attachment support in Elm.

schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod) (06/21/91)

In article <2371@stasys.sta.sub.org>, fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org
(Frank Kaefer) writes:

|> Well, here is another idea for ELM: what about a selection menu for the
|> different mailfolders that exist ? It often happens to me the I type
|> "+Oldmails" instead of "+OldMails" - a simple selection menu for all
|> the files would be very nice !

And another one: List only plain files in ~/Mail, no directories.
Or tag the files like ls -F does.

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/21/91)

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) writes:
>Well, here is another idea for ELM: what about a selection menu for the
>different mailfolders that exist ? It often happens to me the I type
>"+Oldmails" instead of "+OldMails" - a simple selection menu for all
>the files would be very nice !
Elm 2.4 has a wild card listing option on the change folder prompt.

If the folder to change to has a wild card in it, 2.4 will
run ls -C "%s" (the file name) on it (=prefixes will change
dirs to the folder directory first)

This will scroll (not page) out the list of possible files.

This was added by Steve Simmons

rsk@juniper.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>product.

Well, I'm bucking the trend here, but I'd rather *not* see any editor
as part of Elm.  Elm is a mail-reader/sender -- not an editor, not a
news reader, not a reminder service, etc.  I'd like to see it stay
that way rather than have it contract "Emacs disease".  As things stand,
Elm is capable of calling vi/ex/whatever to the editing work; that seems
to be just fine, since it leaves the task of editing to programs designed
explicitly for that job.

--

---Rsk
rsk@gynko.circ.upenn.edu

adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>Another complaint is no binary attachments.
>
>This one has been under discussion since 2.2 was being developed.  We
>even, internally, floated a proposal about it.  No one did anything
>with it, partly because the AT&T method, Content-Type:/Content-Length:
>for attachments didn't go anywhere and become a 'global' standard,
>and at that time, not too much need, compared to now.  Plus, at that
>time, most mail transports were not 8 bit clean, so the best
>we could do would be a uuencoded attachment....

Isn't uuencode a defacto standard?  Perhaps a way of improving its interface
to Elm would be for the pager to recognise and skip uuencoded files on
display, but to tag these as attachments and offer appropriate options (like
being able to mkdir/cd to the desired place to park them, from within Elm).

My only really major beef with the pager in the current release is the lack
of a page-backup key.  A line-backup would be nice too.  I tried using less
as my pager for awhile, but losing the "d" and "j" commands made this a
temporary thing.
--
Anthony DeBoer  NAUI#Z8800                             adeboer@gjetor.geac.com
Geac Canada Ltd., Toronto                             uunet!geac!gjetor!adeboer

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/22/91)

rsk@juniper.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
>Well, I'm bucking the trend here, but I'd rather *not* see any editor
>as part of Elm.
Let me clarify... I have no intention of making any editor
the only editor Elm supports.  I just get lots of requests for
a small, simple editor that can be used with Elm and would like
to be able to distribute one with Elm.

john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (06/22/91)

rsk@juniper.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:

>In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>>product.

>as part of Elm.  Elm is a mail-reader/sender -- not an editor, not a
>news reader, not a reminder service, etc.

If an editor was to be distributed with Elm, there is nothing that would
force you to use that editor, just as now there is nothing to force you
to use a specific external editor.

>Elm is capable of calling vi/ex/whatever to the editing work;

Right.  Just as it would still be able to if an editor was sent with
Elm.

At least I would hope so.

							john
--
| John R. Schutz                     | Email&NeXTmail:                       |
| A learning NeXTie                  |		john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |

sherman@unx.sas.com (Chris Sherman) (06/22/91)

In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>>They complained that Elm doesn't have a "menu".  I'd call it a menu, but
>>I think what they are looking for is a point and shoot type of thing
>>with the current selection in reverse video and the arrow keys in
>>control.
>Elm does not have that type of menu currently, but a character based
>point and shoot menu is under consideration for the character based
>front-end for Elm 3.0.

Sometimes point and click is fun, but mostly it gets in the way.  Elm
is something I use many, many times a day, everyday; it didn't take
me long to learn the keys.  Besides, I like to whip through mail without
any cumbersome commands to waste typing on nor complicated screen graphics
which fill up the screen or slow the program down.

If you add menus, please add a way to shut them off.

Other issues:

I would like to see one minor, little function added to the builtin pager,
a way to page up instead of just down.  You could use the Delete button,
like nn does.  (In fact, nn and elm look so similar, that I sometimes
confuse the buttons).

Also, for the esc button debate, how about making ^G the escape button (again,
like nn).

Thanx,
--
Chris Sherman .................... sherman@unx.sas.com   |
              ,-----------------------------------------'

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.215104.3204@DSI.COM>, syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
> rsk@juniper.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
> >Well, I'm bucking the trend here, but I'd rather *not* see any editor
> >as part of Elm.
> Let me clarify... I have no intention of making any editor
> the only editor Elm supports.  I just get lots of requests for
> a small, simple editor that can be used with Elm and would like
> to be able to distribute one with Elm.

Then allow this humble Admin to cast a vote for Simped as well. While
the version I have here is Jay's first release (V 1.0) and it DOES have
a few bugs, it still has the simplicity needed for people with no reason
to learn Emacs. I exchanged mail with Jay when Simped was released and
suggested a couple of enhancements, .sig inclusion for one and not
dropping to the command line when an existing file was encountered for
another. Both were suggested with an eye towards use with ELM.
Unfortunately I've not heard from Jay since the release of 1.0 and mail
to him goes unanswered or winds up in byte heaven.

Just my $.02 in the editor discussion.

          Dave

[------------------------------------------------------ Dave Ratcliffe -----]
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave                        | The Data Factory BBS  :
: dave@compnect.uucp                                |    (717)657-4997      :
: compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET                        |    (717)657-4992      :
[------------------------------------------------------ Harrisburg  Pa. ----]

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (06/23/91)

In <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>I'll look at it some more and see how the Elm community and developers
>>react to a suggestion or two.
>I have been told I react poorly to suggestions......

Who says!  This looks like a pretty good response to me.

>Elm does not have that type of menu currently, but a character based
>point and shoot menu is under consideration for the character based
>front-end for Elm 3.0.

Great.  Like I said, I like the current interface.  But the less
experienced users are crying for the P&S.  An option to switch between
the two would be a pain to develop and maintain, but would be nice.

>>Another complaint is no binary attachments.
>This one has been under discussion since 2.2 was being developed.  We
>even, internally, floated a proposal about it.  No one did anything
>with it, partly because the AT&T method, Content-Type:/Content-Length:
>for attachments didn't go anywhere and become a 'global' standard,
>and at that time, not too much need, compared to now.  Plus, at that
>time, most mail transports were not 8 bit clean, so the best
>we could do would be a uuencoded attachment....

But that's just what I was suggesting, a uuencoded attachment.  It
didn't adhere to any standards, but there were a few nice things about
it.

1.  It would survive most MTA's (except for size limitations).
2.  It could be unpacked almost anywhere.
3.  Attachments could be accessed even by non-Elm'ers.
4.  It should be a simple addition.

As I said.  The attach command could be offered on the same menu with
(s)end/(f)orget, and the files could be attached just before release to
the MTA.  Then the only other things to worry about would be a "(F)ile
attachment" command on the main menu, and stripping out the attachment
and replacing it with "Attached file:<filename>" at the end of the
letter before passing it on to the pager/editor.

>>Finally, a nice touch is their editor.  I've seen lots of callsfor a
>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>shortcoming.

Yeah, it seems that nobody's got the guts or time (including me) to
write such an editor.  I recently saw somebody in the PC binaries group
flame another person because the Pascal based editor they posted didn't
have enough features.  Sometimes people forget that there are some entry
level users out there to support.

>>Another thing I have yet to see is a macro language or API for Elm.
>I need some convincing here that an Elm macro language would really
>do something and buy you something....   As for API, I am unsure
>how that would be used.... I need some 'education' there.

Well, with a full featured macro language you could probably do away
with most of the wonderful little filters and daemons you include with
Elm yet leave the functionality.  People could write scripts to
THOROUGHLY filter their mail based on combinations of message content,
sender, user defined headers, and other combinations of conditions.

Another use for a macro language would be to create a mail server based
on Elm.  I'm sure there are lots of other uses for a macro language and
you'll probably hear several from the netters.  On the other hand, and
API would be nice too.  In fact, you could skip the macro language if
you had an API.

I think in many macro langauges the developers include lots of features
that do not deal with the application at hand, but rather things that
have to do with macro programming or application building.  For example,
with a macro language you might have commands to prompt for input,
compare logical expressions, display output, etc.  With an API you could
skip all of this.  Let the user get these features from whatever
language they are accessing the API from (ASM, C, Perl, etc.), and just
concentrate on the mail handling features.

Considering Elm is not a commercial product I think all of this is a bit
much to ask.  Don't think I'm being unreasonable without realizing it.
A nice approach to just about all these suggestions would be an Elm
engine.   This would be a kind of E-Mail UA engine that would form the
heart of Elm.  Mid-level features like "parse an address" or "get
message sender", and high-level features like "mail a message" and "save
a message" could be functions of the API.

Then the current Elm interface could be separated into a replaceable
front-end that would access that API to function exactly like it does
now.  Then when pesky users like me ask for a feature in the interface
you could just say "add it to the interface yourself" or "come up with
your own plug-and-play Elm interface".  This way the interface could be
modified and compatibility would only suffer at the interface.  The mail
handling features and heart of the application would remain the same.

As I said.  I know this is all unreasonable, but I thought I'd bring it
up.  Judging by the number of responses (I haven't read them yet) I'd
say that it stirred some discussion.  Sorry :-).  Thanks!
--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

In <tih.677489054@barsoom> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:

>What I'd really love to see, is a UA that uses a free text (inverted
>index) database for storing mail items, and has a reasonably powerful
>command set for selecting messages.  I'd like to be able to use
>selection criteria like "all messages either to or from person a or b",
>"all messages where the subject contains the word 'foo'", "the last
>30 messages sent", "all messages with the word 'gargleblaster' in
>the text", "all messages sent by me last monday", and so on...  (Of
>course, the syntax would be different from these examples, and much
>less verbose.)

>So, comments, anyone?  And, to the elm developers:  How major would
>such a change to the basic mail storage system be; would it mean a
>more or less total rewrite, or is elm modularized in such a way that
>it's possible to replace the storage and folder selection system
>with a different mechanism?

Well, I think with the API I suggested a user could do all of those
things with their own application.  The API could offer functions to
open_folder() (you could store all your mail in one folder if you
wanted), top_of_folder() to go to the first message, next_message() to
skip, and things like message_sender() and send_date() to return
whatever info you wanted.  Then it's just a matter of picking the types
of info you wanted to index and coming up with your interface.

I think when you start talking about "free text databases" and full
featured search engines you are really getting out of the E-Mail
business.  With the API though you could hook just about anything into
Elm and add E-Mail functionality to virtually any application.
--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

In <1991Jun21.184912.6954@gjetor.geac.COM> adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) writes:

>In article <1991Jun20.141539.16160@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>>>Another complaint is no binary attachments.
>>
>>This one has been under discussion since 2.2 was being developed.  We
>>even, internally, floated a proposal about it.  No one did anything
>>with it, partly because the AT&T method, Content-Type:/Content-Length:
>>for attachments didn't go anywhere and become a 'global' standard,
>>and at that time, not too much need, compared to now.  Plus, at that
>>time, most mail transports were not 8 bit clean, so the best
>>we could do would be a uuencoded attachment....

>Isn't uuencode a defacto standard?  Perhaps a way of improving its interface
>to Elm would be for the pager to recognise and skip uuencoded files on
>display, but to tag these as attachments and offer appropriate options (like
>being able to mkdir/cd to the desired place to park them, from within Elm).

Exactly what I was saying, and this is what Cymail does.

>My only really major beef with the pager in the current release is the lack
>of a page-backup key.  A line-backup would be nice too.  I tried using less
>as my pager for awhile, but losing the "d" and "j" commands made this a
>temporary thing.

Ditto.  I tried it and missed these features.  I'd love to see less
adapted to work smoothly with Elm.
--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

In <1991Jun21.215104.3204@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>rsk@juniper.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec) writes:
>>Well, I'm bucking the trend here, but I'd rather *not* see any editor
>>as part of Elm.
>Let me clarify... I have no intention of making any editor
>the only editor Elm supports.  I just get lots of requests for
>a small, simple editor that can be used with Elm and would like
>to be able to distribute one with Elm.

I believe my original suggestion was to EITHER include a simple editor,
or suggest one in the docs/README.  I do see the point that including an
editor would make the distribution larger, and that many people don't
want to use a different editor from the one they use now.  I also would
NEVER suggest (as some people have inferred) that Elm not allow the user
to select his/her own editor.  A better approach might be for the Elm
development group to write a small editor (VERY simple) that has an
interface consistant with Elm and post it separately.  Then suggest is
in the README as a possibility.

--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (06/23/91)

In <1991Jun21.124644.17668@compu.com> fred@compu.com (Fred Rump) writes:

>syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>        >>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>>>Finally, a nice touch is their editor.  I've seen lots of callsfor a
>>>simple editor, but no great responses.
>>I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm as a contributed
>>product.  I am even threatened myself to 'write one' but I don't really
>>have the time if I am to get 2.4 out.  I also view this as a major
>>shortcoming.

>        I simply don't understand why this request keeps coming up for an
>        editor. Doesn't the world out there have a word processor out
>        there that can simply be used in text mode?

I tell my users they can use their standard word processor--WordPerfect--
and show them how to do it.  Trouble is, they get right tired of sitting
waiting for WP, with all its features, to load, just to write a one-
line mail message.

MicroEmacs or Mg2a, or other similar programmable editor, seems to me
to be the way to go.  Just re-bind the basic editing functions so they
*look* like your favorite word processor.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/23/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>But that's just what I was suggesting, a uuencoded attachment.
>4.  It should be a simple addition.
If I remember correctly, from our discussions on this over two years
ago (it was a long time ago), it was not a simple addition....

Then, again, until 3.0 when we rewrite Elm, nothing necessarly
is a simple addition.  Due to its evolving and its non common
function based design Elm is currently very convoluted and desperately
needs the re-write.

>Well, with a full featured macro language you could probably do away
>with most of the wonderful little filters and daemons you include with
>Elm yet leave the functionality.
We have those daemons mostly to cut down on the overhead of running
them.  Elm is big, and relatively slow to start.  For all the
filters and daemons you don't necessarly want all the overhead of Elm.

>Considering Elm is not a commercial product I think all of this is a bit
>much to ask.  Don't think I'm being unreasonable without realizing it.
>A nice approach to just about all these suggestions would be an Elm
>engine.   This would be a kind of E-Mail UA engine that would form the
>heart of Elm.  Mid-level features like "parse an address" or "get
>message sender", and high-level features like "mail a message" and "save
>a message" could be functions of the API.
Gee, has he seen the 3.0 ideas?  Thats the only way we can have the
different front ends.  But having an API that is 'public' also leads to
other problems such as support...  I am still hesitant and wish to be
educated into the proper use for it.

john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (06/24/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>Yeah, it seems that nobody's got the guts or time (including me) to
>write such an editor.

I am currently working on one.  I have no idea whether it will be included
with Elm upon completion, but it will be out there.  I also really don't
know when it will be completed (hopefully soon), due to time limitations.

								john
--
| John R. Schutz                     | Email&NeXTmail:                       |
| A learning NeXTie                  |		john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |
| (512)328-0587                      | The 23rd periodic element is Vanadium |
| 3009 Hatley Dr., Austin, TX  78746 | 'V'.  V is roman numeral for 5. Hmmm  |

In article <1991Jun20.192712.26853@ccu.umanitoba.ca> grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) writes:

>While I'm at it, Syd, I'll get my $.02 in for suggested changes to Elm.
>I would really like a simple way to abort any command, like hitting Esc.
>When users accidentally select something like (b)ounce or (r)eply, it would
>be nice if they could quickly cancel the command, rather than having to step
>through all the prompts until they finally get to tell Elm to (f)orget it.

Most of the comands that prompt for something will automatically abort if
you simply leave the field blank.  For example, if you hit "b", Elm will
prompt with "Send the message to:".  If you just hit return, the command
will be cancelled.  Likewise, "r" will prompt with "Subject: Re: original
subject".  If you backspace over the proposed subject and hit return,
you get a "No subject, continue with message? (y/n)" where you can easily
cancel the command.  The main exception is hitting "q", where you don't
have any way back.
I'd agree, though, that it would nice to have Escape cancel any command.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1991Jun21.130158.19374@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>It WILL be in 2.4, and it is one of the things holding
>up 2.4.  Elm will support generation and use of those headers for
>overall message, but not for attachments (in 2.4).  Attachments
>will have to wait for attachment support in Elm.

How about an rn-like pipe-to-process for saving/detaching?  If Elm
itself just observes the "outer" Content-Length: header, it could
pipe the entire message off to another program that would know how
to extract the pieces and interactively prompt for filenames.
The low-level support is already there for pipe-to-process anyway,
but it would be nice to have a dedicated command for it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

fred@compu.com (Fred Rump) (06/24/91)

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>I tell my users they can use their standard word processor--WordPerfect--
>and show them how to do it.  Trouble is, they get right tired of sitting
>waiting for WP, with all its features, to load, just to write a one-
>line mail message.

        I guess our customers write more than a one line message 99% of
        the time. We do customer support via e-mail and usually the
        questions need explaining to some extent.

        Not sure if anyone is using WordPerfect, I doubt it. It may be a
        hog. 95% use the text mode of Lyrix, the rest MS Word. Lyrix is
        easy and fast. Even those who upgraded to WORD still use the
        lyrix text mode for mail and news. Takes about a second or so to
        bring it up.
        fred
--

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.145828.3137@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>How about an rn-like pipe-to-process for saving/detaching?  If Elm
>itself just observes the "outer" Content-Length: header, it could
>pipe the entire message off to another program that would know how
>to extract the pieces and interactively prompt for filenames.
>The low-level support is already there for pipe-to-process anyway,
>but it would be nice to have a dedicated command for it.
There is already a dedicated command for it.  Its called | and it
pipes the message, headers and all to any process you'd like.

In article <1991Jun24.175945.392@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>>How about an rn-like pipe-to-process for saving/detaching?
>>The low-level support is already there for pipe-to-process anyway,
>>but it would be nice to have a dedicated command for it.

>There is already a dedicated command for it.  Its called | and it
>pipes the message, headers and all to any process you'd like.

First, it won't work as-is because ELM needs modifications to allow
imbedded nulls, and to ignore lines starting with From within the
bounds of a Content-Length: header.  That aside, it's not very
ELM-like to require the user to know anything about other processes,
at least after the initial options are set up.  You wouldn't suggest
that everyone start using |lp -Dwhatever to print instead of the dedicated
"p" command, would you?

This would be a good argument for putting macros in ELM, since
"bind-key-to" would provide equal or greater functionality compared
to coding in a dedicated command and action.  A variation of the
"|" command that processed tagged messages with a separate invocation
of the specified program per message would be nice too.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

tanner@cdis-1.compu.com (Dr. T. Andrews) (06/25/91)

sw-) I would love a 'simple' editor to distribute with Elm  ...
fr-) I simply don't understand why this request keeps coming up ...
Easy.  The user's word-processing editor tends to leave huge ugly
chunks  around,  or indent things which it shouldn't, or generate
``long'' lines.  Some people don't normally use an editor.

For these folks,  we  need   an  alternative.   The  most  common
editor,  ``vi'', is lousy.  EMACS is too {large, slow, difficult,
good for users:-pick one}.  You don't want to know about ``ed''.
--
uflorida!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner