[comp.mail.elm] Simple editor for elm

jon@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jon Bork) (09/16/89)

Does someone out there know of a simple editor that we could use with
Elm to ease the teaching of Elm to occasional users who are not UNIX
literate? All it needs to do is type, insert, delete. Nice to have
is auto-return on end of line and paragraph justification on deletion.

Any ideas???

Regards,

Jon Bork
Unisys Network Computing Group     (408)-435-3679
jon@Convergent.COM -or- {pyramid, sri-unix, pacbell}!ctnews!jon
--

sfreed@tesla.unm.edu (Steve Freed) (09/16/89)

jon@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jon Bork) writes:

>Does someone out there know of a simple editor that we could use with
>Elm to ease the teaching of Elm to occasional users who are not UNIX
>literate? All it needs to do is type, insert, delete.

Just use the builtin editor. Looks about like the Berkeley mail editor,
and that is what I have my occasional users use. The only thing
they complain about is that it would be nice if you could use arrow
keys to move around in the text, but that maks it a much more complicated
editor.

--
Steve.                sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (09/17/89)

jon@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jon Bork) writes:
+Does someone out there know of a simple editor that we could use with
+Elm to ease the teaching of Elm to occasional users who are not UNIX
+literate? All it needs to do is type, insert, delete.
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sfreed@tesla.unm.edu (Steve Freed) writes:
+Just use the builtin editor.

The builtin editor should have been called an "appender". You can type,
but you can't insert or delete.
--
Rob Bernardo      ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob -or- rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM
  Product engineer, UNIX/C Reusable Code Library        Editor, "Go `C' UNIX"

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/17/89)

jon@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jon Bork) writes:

>Does someone out there know of a simple editor that we could use with
>Elm to ease the teaching of Elm to occasional users who are not UNIX
>literate? All it needs to do is type, insert, delete. Nice to have
>is auto-return on end of line and paragraph justification on deletion.

You could use uEMACS, and just ignore all the extra stuff.  It is small
and works very well.  It would also give you the extra power if you
want/need it (for example, looking up another file and inserting text
into the current message)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) (08/07/90)

I am looking for a simple editor for use with elm...  vi is too difficult
for my novice users and the builtin doesnt provide the capabilities I would
like...  Full screen with arrow keys and NO insert mode...

Please email and let me know what some of you are using.

Thanks.  Rob.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International a

ellozy@farber.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) (06/24/91)

This must be a FAQ, but I do not recollect reading answers to it.

I have a community of users who dial in to my main computer basically
to send/read electronic mail.  They are rarely computer sophisticated,
and being offsite (often out of state) makes support very difficult.

We want to run elm, with an editor a bit more capable than the
non-editor that emulates /usr/ucb/mail.  We need the capability to
move around, preferably with arrow keys, and to insert/delete/change.

We feel that vi is totally unsuitable because of the command mode/insertion
mode dichotomy.  We also have problems with emacs key bindings, which make it
unsuitable for our target audiance.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Mohamed

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.120934.8813@Think.COM> ellozy@farber.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) writes:
>This must be a FAQ, but I do not recollect reading answers to it.
>
>I have a community of users who dial in to my main computer basically
>to send/read electronic mail.  They are rarely computer sophisticated,
>and being offsite (often out of state) makes support very difficult.
>
>We want to run elm, with an editor a bit more capable than the
>non-editor that emulates /usr/ucb/mail.  We need the capability to
>move around, preferably with arrow keys, and to insert/delete/change.
>
>We feel that vi is totally unsuitable because of the command mode/insertion
>mode dichotomy.  We also have problems with emacs key bindings, which make it
>unsuitable for our target audiance.
>
>Any help will be much appreciated.
>
>Mohamed

There has been a lot of talk lately about editors for elm and I thought I'd
throw in my $.03(inflation). We got gnome after some discussion on this forum
and are very pleased with it.  I got it from uunet and have it running under
XENIX and ULTRIX and use it a lot.  Our "unsophisticated" users like it because
all they really need to make it work is to remember ^Z to save the file and use
the arrow keys. (It obviously does a lot more and has built-in help but thats
all they need to know to use it.

Cliff