[comp.mail.elm] ONE more filter question...

greg@athena.cs.uga.edu (Greg Whitlock) (06/18/91)

Okay, I have one more filter question.  I have all my "rules" set up
but I am now having trouble getting filter to work.  It seems to be
expecting input from stdin.  How do I actually get filter to work
(after I have logged off and while I am on)?

Thanks in advance...

Greg Whitlock                          | Hey! It's the Gregster...Gregarino..
Department of Computer Science         | ...the Greg-meister...Greginsky..the
ACM chairman of UGA                    | man from Greg...Gregatollah...Greg-a
University of Georgia, Athens          | -loo...General Gregkopf...the Greg-
E-mail: greg@athena.cs.uga.edu         | man...Grego..come to do some Unix...
_______________________________________|_____________________________________

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/18/91)

greg@athena.cs.uga.edu wrote:
>Okay, I have one more filter question.  I have all my "rules" set up
>but I am now having trouble getting filter to work.  It seems to be
>expecting input from stdin.  How do I actually get filter to work
>(after I have logged off and while I am on)?

Assuming your MTA is sendmail, just put this in your .forward file in
your login directory:

		"|/usr/local/bin/filter"

(changing the path to it as appropriate)
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

pravin@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (06/26/91)

In a previous article brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>Assuming your MTA is sendmail, just put this in your .forward file in
>your login directory:
>
>		"|/usr/local/bin/filter"

I have a question at this point.  My biff stopped working when I
starting using filter, I assume due to the preesence of the .forward
file.  Is there anyway to get my biff back.  I tried using newmail
giving it the name of the file to which my filter rule saves some
messages.  That too doesn't seem to work..

Can someone help me..  or the only solution is to take off the
filter..

thanks..

pravin

--
This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.
Your message will cost the net enough to bankrupt your entire planet, and