[comp.mail.elm] Elm under SCO UNIX 3.2

larry@lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) (06/27/91)

I have just installed elm to our SCO Unix 3.2. After a long (and
desperate) configuration of sendmail, everything finally seems to work
OK. There's just this one exception:

SCO local mailer seems to add a delimeter string of 4 CTRL-A's before
and after each message it delivers to the incoming mailbox files. For
instance, /usr/spool/mail/larry looks like

^A^A^A^A
From ...
<header lines>
<message body>
^A^A^A^A

The trouble is that elm is not able to read this file because of those
control characters. Instead, it gives the following error message:

Folder is corrupt!!  I can't read it!!

So, what next? Are these CTRL-A's a feature specified exclusively by
SCO? Should I use a different local mailer (right now it is lmail)? Or
is it possible to configure elm to ignore these characters?

Any ideas?

Lauri
--

Signature?  What signature?  Let me read the small print first!

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/27/91)

larry@lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) writes:
>I have just installed elm to our SCO Unix 3.2. After a long (and
>desperate) configuration of sendmail, everything finally seems to work
>OK. There's just this one exception:

>SCO local mailer seems to add a delimeter string of 4 CTRL-A's before
>and after each message it delivers to the incoming mailbox files.
Back to Configure folks.  SCO UNIX uses MMDF, if you tell Elm that
you are using MMDF it will understand and generate the ^A^A^A^A
just fine.

However, I wonder if this user is trying to use Elm 2.2, not that
MMDF support is part of Elm 2.3, and the current PL is 11.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

das@trac2000.ueci.com (David Snyder) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.102645.21572@lut.fi>, larry@lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) writes:
-> I have just installed elm to our SCO Unix 3.2. After a long (and
-> desperate) configuration of sendmail, everything finally seems to work
-> OK. There's just this one exception:
->
Well, you're just the person I need to talk to.  I'd really like to
hear what you did to dump MMDF and start using sendmail.  Anyway...

-> SCO local mailer seems to add a delimeter string of 4 CTRL-A's before
-> and after each message it delivers to the incoming mailbox files. For
-> instance, /usr/spool/mail/larry looks like
->
-> ^A^A^A^A
-> From ...
-> <header lines>
-> <message body>
-> ^A^A^A^A
->
Yup, even though you tell ELM to use /usr/lib/sendmail instead of
/usr/mmdf/bin/submit to send mail, you must still answer YES to the
question about your MTA using MMDF.  Strange, I know :-)

Please let me know how you got sendmail to work on your machine.  I
basically have two types of mail comming from my SCO machine, local
mail and everything else.  Thanks.

DAS
--
David A. Snyder @ UE&C - Catalytic in Philadelphia, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das     INTERNET:  das@trac2000.ueci.com

bill@iccdev.indcomp.com (Bill Gaines) (06/28/91)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>larry@lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) writes:
>>I have just installed elm to our SCO Unix 3.2. After a long (and
>>desperate) configuration of sendmail, everything finally seems to work
>>OK. There's just this one exception:

>>SCO local mailer seems to add a delimeter string of 4 CTRL-A's before
>>and after each message it delivers to the incoming mailbox files.
>Back to Configure folks.  SCO UNIX uses MMDF, if you tell Elm that
>you are using MMDF it will understand and generate the ^A^A^A^A
>just fine.

That is all fine and good if you are using MMDF.  If you "mkdev sendmail", it
is supposed to get rid of MMDF and switch to using sendmail.  However, after
you do this, the mail files still have the ^A^A^A^A in between messages even
though you are no longer using MMDF.  It is obvious that you can't get
rid of all remaints of MMDF.

--
Bill Gaines                      Internet: bill@indcomp.com
Industrial Computer Corp.            UUCP: ...!{gatech,emory}!iccdev!bill