[comp.mail.elm] Sendmail & SCO UNIX

larry@saruman.it.lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) (06/28/91)

das@trac2000.ueci.com (David Snyder) writes:

>Yup, even though you tell ELM to use /usr/lib/sendmail instead of
>/usr/mmdf/bin/submit to send mail, you must still answer YES to the
>question about your MTA using MMDF.  Strange, I know :-)

Thanks!

>Please let me know how you got sendmail to work on your machine.  I
>basically have two types of mail comming from my SCO machine, local
>mail and everything else.  Thanks.

Well, I installed sendmail as described in SCO TCP/IP Runtime System
Administrator's Guide. However, I had to make some changes, that have
not been documented in this section. For instance:

1) In TCP login script /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp the hostname is defined as
   host.domain. However, sendmail gets the host name from this
   'hostname' feature and adds the domain name after it. As the result,
   the local addresses will look like host.domain.domain.

   So, in TCP script the hostname should be defined like

   hostname `uname -n`

   (DOMAIN has been dropped)

2) In sendmail documentation it has been described that sendmail will
   use the config. file /usr/lib/sendmail.cf as default. This file
   includes the rulesets for sendmail to understand different kinds of
   mail addresses.

   However, this file name should be given in startup. Otherwise, your
   sendmail will behave very strangely (e.g. trying to deliver local mail
   using SMTP instead of lmail).

   In my /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp I have

   /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m -C/usr/lib/sendmail.cf

   and now everything works ok.

I hope this helps.

Lauri

Signature?  What signature?  Let me read the small print first!

kariy@vat-vai.valmet.com (Kari Yli-Kuha) (06/28/91)

We've started using sendmail as well - due to lack of DNS support
in the current version of MMDF. I'll try MMDF again after the DNS
version is available.

I think you'll need to do a bit more than what Lauri described.

-->In article <1991Jun28.101646.13319@lut.fi> larry@saruman.it.lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) writes:

|   >Please let me know how you got sendmail to work on your machine.  I
|   >basically have two types of mail coming from my SCO machine, local
|   >mail and everything else.  Thanks.
|
|   Well, I installed sendmail as described in SCO TCP/IP Runtime System
|   Administrator's Guide. However, I had to make some changes, that have
|   not been documented in this section. For instance:
|
|   1) In TCP login script /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp the hostname is defined as
|      host.domain. However, sendmail gets the host name from this
|      'hostname' feature and adds the domain name after it. As the result,
|      the local addresses will look like host.domain.domain.
|
|      So, in TCP script the hostname should be defined like
|
|      hostname `uname -n`
|
|      (DOMAIN has been dropped)
\---

Fine, that's just what I did.

/---
|   2) In sendmail documentation it has been described that sendmail will
|      use the config. file /usr/lib/sendmail.cf as default. This file
|      includes the rulesets for sendmail to understand different kinds of
|      mail addresses.
|
|      However, this file name should be given in startup. Otherwise, your
|      sendmail will behave very strangely (e.g. trying to deliver local mail
|      using SMTP instead of lmail).
|
|      In my /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp I have
|
|      /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m -C/usr/lib/sendmail.cf
|
|      and now everything works ok.
\---

I haven't noticed that. However, in TCP/IP 1.1.1 there's a bug in /etc/tcp
script start section, sendmail should be started with the "su root -c" to
get the LUID set. This is required since sendmail is a setuid program.
In TCP/IP 1.1.3 this seems to be fixed.

Another thing is that in 1.1.1 you have to prevent "/usr/mmdf/bin/deliver"
from being started during boot up - I've made it with "chmod -x deliver".
In 1.1.3 this is done by commenting out the smtpd in inetd.conf.

Plus, you'll have to configure host and domain names to
/usr/mmdf/mmdftailor. After all, some of the mail binaries belong to the
MMDF package and need the tailor file. So you'll have to introduce
them twice, in mmdftailor and sendmail.cf

Finally, the machines have to be introduced completely (hostname.domain)
in either /etc/hosts or DNS.

Plus, of course, if you are going to use DNS you'll have diddle a bit
with the cf file, DNS is not supported by default.

Piece of cake? Not to me, anyway. It took me quite some time to get the
whole thing working reliably. Well, it still doesn't, but for 99% of the
incoming mail it does, 100% for the outgoing.

I'm going to upgrade ELM to PL11 as Syd suggested.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
--
    _   ,                 Valmet Automation Inc., Tampere, Finland
   ' ) /                  e-mail: Kari.Yli-Kuha@vat-vai.valmet.com

kariy@vat-vai.valmet.com (Kari Yli-Kuha) (06/28/91)

We've started using sendmail as well - due to lack of DNS support
in the current version of MMDF. I'll try MMDF again after the DNS
version is available.

I think you'll need to do a bit more than what Lauri described.

-->In article <1991Jun28.101646.13319@lut.fi> larry@saruman.it.lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) writes:

|   >Please let me know how you got sendmail to work on your machine.  I
|   >basically have two types of mail coming from my SCO machine, local
|   >mail and everything else.  Thanks.
|
|   Well, I installed sendmail as described in SCO TCP/IP Runtime System
|   Administrator's Guide. However, I had to make some changes, that have
|   not been documented in this section. For instance:
|
|   1) In TCP login script /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp the hostname is defined as
|      host.domain. However, sendmail gets the host name from this
|      'hostname' feature and adds the domain name after it. As the result,
|      the local addresses will look like host.domain.domain.
|
|      So, in TCP script the hostname should be defined like
|
|      hostname `uname -n`
|
|      (DOMAIN has been dropped)
\---

Fine, that's just what I did.

/---
|   2) In sendmail documentation it has been described that sendmail will
|      use the config. file /usr/lib/sendmail.cf as default. This file
|      includes the rulesets for sendmail to understand different kinds of
|      mail addresses.
|
|      However, this file name should be given in startup. Otherwise, your
|      sendmail will behave very strangely (e.g. trying to deliver local mail
|      using SMTP instead of lmail).
|
|      In my /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp I have
|
|      /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m -C/usr/lib/sendmail.cf
|
|      and now everything works ok.
\---

[...]

incoming mail it does, 100% of the outgoing.