[comp.mail.elm] elm under sco unix 3.2v2

adam@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (At these prices, I can't NAME names) (06/19/91)

	Hi, I have not been monitoring this newsgroup for a while
so if this is a FAQ please excuse me.

	I have compiled elm under sco unix and am trying to get it
to submit mail to mmdf properly. It reads mail that has arrived
just great but cannot mail out. This is puzzling because the Configure
script specifically asks if you are using mmdf and then seems to
chew on that info for a bit. So before I go in and spend a lot of time
on this, is there a prefabricated answer?

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/19/91)

adam@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (At these prices, I can't NAME names) writes:
>	I have compiled elm under sco unix and am trying to get it
>to submit mail to mmdf properly. It reads mail that has arrived
>just great but cannot mail out. This is puzzling because the Configure
>script specifically asks if you are using mmdf and then seems to
>chew on that info for a bit. So before I go in and spend a lot of time
>on this, is there a prefabricated answer?
This is probably one of two problems, one is a FAQ, the other is not...

Most likely:   SCO Distributes MMDF with a directory with the wrong
permissions.  Run the MMDF script checkup to determine which directory
has the wrong permissions and fix that directory.

Second item:   Elm 2.3 at PL0 did not work great with SCO's MMDF.  However
along the early patches SCO MMDF support got better and some of the
later pateches added MMDF support to some of the utils.  So, be sure
you are at Elm 2.3 PL11.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

bw@uecok.ecok.edu (Bill Walker CS Dept. Chairman) (06/20/91)

We had good luck having elm present the mail through "submit".  It
avoided some of the hassles associated with SCO's (really funny)
"security" system.

bw@cs.ecok.edu

martin@tibbs.uucp (Martin Walker) (06/29/91)

In <17201@darkstar.ucsc.edu> adam@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (At these prices, I can't NAME names) writes:
>	I have compiled elm under sco unix and am trying to get it
>to submit mail to mmdf properly. It reads mail that has arrived
>just great but cannot mail out. This is puzzling because the Configure
>script specifically asks if you are using mmdf and then seems to
>chew on that info for a bit. So before I go in and spend a lot of time
>on this, is there a prefabricated answer?

The config only asks you if you're using mmdf to keep the mailbox file
format straight. I got elm running nicely on SCO Unix 2.3v2 by specifying
/usr/lib/mail/execmail as the mail transport. execmail calls mmdf's
submit with all the correct parameters, so you won't have to worry about
them.

--
 Martin Walker   | ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!tibbs!martin
       @         |      "Heaven doesn't want me

djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) (06/30/91)

I have found that when non-SCO-provided programs can't send mail on
SCO Unix, the problem is usually wrong permissions on files or
directories in /usr/spool/mmdf.  Run /usr/mmdf/bin/checkup and see if
it reports any wrong permissions (look for "***" in the output).
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@eng.umd.edu> <djm@ai.mit.edu>