[comp.org.fidonet] FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 4, # 29

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (08/05/87)

     Volume 4, Number 29                                 3 August 1987
     |                                                  _            |
     |                                                 /  \          |
     |                                                /|oo \         |
     |        - FidoNews -                           (_|  /_)        |
     |                                                _`@/_ \    _   |
     |        International                          |     | \   \\  |
     |     FidoNet Association                       | (*) |  \   )) |
     |         Newsletter               ______       |__U__| /  \//  |
     |                                 / FIDO \       _//|| _\   /   |
     |                                (________)     (_/(_|(____/    |
     |                                                     (jm)      |
     Editor in Chief:                                   Thom Henderson
     Chief Procrastinator Emeritus:                       Tom Jennings

     FidoNews  is  published  weekly  by  the  International   FidoNet
     Association  as  its  official newsletter.  You are encouraged to
     submit articles for publication in FidoNews.  Article  submission
     standards  are contained in the file ARTSPEC.DOC,  available from
     node 1:1/1.

     Copyright 1987 by  the  International  FidoNet  Association.  All
     rights  reserved.  Duplication  and/or distribution permitted for
     noncommercial purposes only.  For  use  in  other  circumstances,
     please contact IFNA at (314) 576-4067.

                           Two Weeks to FidoCon!

                             Table of Contents

     1. EDITORIAL  ................................................  1
        Logic Chopping: A Study in Censorship  ....................  1
     2. ARTICLES  .................................................  3
        FidoNet Conference Information  ...........................  3
        FIDO-FAM - FIDO BBS File Area Maintenance Utility  ........  4
        Hotline! (2)  .............................................  7
        FidoNet's Growing Pains -- A USENET Perspective  .......... 10
     3. NOTICES  .................................................. 12
        The Interrupt Stack  ...................................... 12
        COMPUTERFEST '87  ......................................... 12
        Special notice for FidoCon goers  ......................... 12
        Latest Software Versions  ................................. 13
        International FidoNet Conference Registration Form  ....... 14
        IFNA Order Form and Membership Application  ............... 15
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 1                    3 Aug 1987

                                 EDITORIAL

                               Logic Chopping
                           A Study in Censorship

     Most of you are  probably  aware  of  the  recent  brouhaha  over
     EchoChop.  Not  long ago I announced that EchoChop would function
     no more,  that it  was  all  just  an  experiment.  This  left  a
     question or two unaswered,  like what was the experiment, and how
     did it turn out?

     I didn't answer that question before because the  experiment  was
     still running.  It ran in two phases:

         Phase one:  Create EchoChop and announce to the world what it
         is  and  what  it's  for.  This  served  mainly  to encourage
         expression from those who are against the idea.

         Phase two:  Have EchoChop expire at a preset time,  and  then
         announce to the world that it is no more.  This served mainly
         to  encourage  expression  from those who are in favor of the
         idea.

     Phase one happened mainly in public in the echomail  conferences,
     and  is  thus  pretty  well  known.  Phase two happened mainly in
     private network mail,  and is thus less publicly known.  Is still
     happening,  I  should say.  I'm on the verge of creating a canned
     message that says, "No, you can't have it, it's gone."

     What did I learn from all this?  Quite a bit  actually.  For  one
     thing,  a  great many people feel a need for some sort of control
     over echomail content.  But EchoChop (or anything like it) is not
     the way to go.  Echomail is chaotic enough already without people
     using things like EchoChop.  People want more order, not less.

     This implies some sort of  central  control  over  echomail.  But
     that  is  a  cure  that  leads to problems in its own right.  For
     example,   there  are  many  conferences  where   none   of   the
     participants want anyone outside having anything to say about it.

     What  I  propose  is  a compromise approach based on the tools we
     already have at hand.  Each conference in theory has a  moderator
     who  oversees  the  conference.  But up until now a moderator has
     been pretty powerless to actually do anything.  I propose that we
     define failure to abide by the wishes of a  conference  moderator
     as  excessively  annoying  behaviour.   The  remedies  stated  in
     Policy3 then come  into  play  to  back  up  the  wishes  of  the
     moderator.

     Of course,  we'll need some agreed upon way to determine just who
     the moderator of a given conference is,  since I'm assuming  here
     that  only  the  moderator  can  lodge  a  complaint for annoying
     behaviour.  So we pick some sucker,  er,  dedicated volunteer  to
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 2                    3 Aug 1987

     act  as  our  official  "Registrar  of Conferences" (Thomas Kenny
     comes to mind).  This would NOT mean that every  conference  must
     be  registered.  A conference would only have to be registered if
     its moderator wants to invoke  the  protection  of  Policy3.  The
     moderator  of  an  unregistered conference would simply be on his
     own when dealing with annoying behaviour (much  like  things  are
     now for all conferences).

     Does  this  mean that IFNA will finally get involved in echomail?
     Well,  yes it does.  I've heard that the  echomail  backbone  has
     sworn  to  go  on  strike  (or  some  such)  if IFNA ever touches
     echomail,  but  I'd like to point out that this approach involves
     IFNA in echomail only so far as the  participants  in  any  given
     conference desire -- and not really very far for all of that.

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 3                    3 Aug 1987

                                 ARTICLES

                       FidoNet Conference Information

     Your  participation  will  help  to  ensure  a   successful   and
     informative conference.  Send in your registration form NOW.

     The  registration  form for the conference does not include hotel
     accommodations.  The conference will be held at the Radisson Mark
     Plaza Hotel.  If you wish to stay  there  you  must  contact  the
     hotel directly.

                         Radisson Mark Plaza Hotel
                 5000 Seminary Road., Alexandria, VA  22311
                               1-800-228-9822

     Mention  that  you  are  with the FidoNet Conference and you will
     receive discounted room rates.  The Radisson has agreed to extend
     these rates for any who wish to stay on after the conference  and
     visit   our   nation's   capital.   The  Radisson  provides  free
     transportation to and from National Airport any time of the  day.
     A  Metro stop (subway) at the airport will give you access to the
     Smithsonian,  the  Zoo,  and  other  national  landmarks  in  the
     District.

     Room Rates for the Conference:

         Single or Double Occupancy:                   $80.00 /night
         One additional cot in a room:                 $20.00/night
         Children under 17 accompanied by an adult:    Free

     If  you wish to share a room and need a roommate,  please contact
     Brian Hughs at 109/634.  He will help you find someone to share a
     room with.

     There  are  four  restaurants  in  the  Radisson   ranging   from
     relatively "inexpensive" to "very,  very, expensive".  The sysops
     in net  109  are  compiling  a  list  of  establishments  in  the
     surrounding  neighborhood which will be available when you get to
     the conference.  During the Conference there will be a Banquet on
     Friday night and a luncheon on Saturday.  If you  are  interested
     in   attending   these,   don't  forget  to  mark  them  on  your
     registration form.

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 4                    3 Aug 1987

     FIDO-FAM Version 3 Release Announcement         by Dennis Glaeser

           filename       : FFAM301.ARC  (latest version is: 3.01)
           available from : Fido 100/10  (or any current user)

     FIDO-FAM is a FIDO BBS File Area Maintenance utility.  It allows
     the user to quickly and easily review, modify, and coordinate the
     files in any FIDO File Area with the appropriate FILES.BBS file.
     Version 3 also has some features to support OPUS BBSs (ver 0).

     This utility uses SYSTEMnn.BBS files to define the directories to
     use, and manages the files named: FILES.BBS, DIR.BBS, FILES.BAK,
     and DIR.BAK in each file area. FIDO-FAM will work with any system
     which uses these files as defined by FIDO (version 11w) specs.

     FIDO-FAM can be run locally on any computer running MSDOS or
     PCDOS 2.x or higher, and which has an ANSI terminal or device
     driver installed.

     FIDO-FAM can also be run remotely.  This allows authorized users
     to do file area maintenance from home.  The remote terminal, or
     modem program, being used MUST respond to the ANSI terminal
     control strings for:
                - Cursor Positioning
                - Clear Screen
                - Clear to End of Line
                - Set Colors - Note: color display not required.
     An 80 x 24 display is used, to support remote users who don't
     have 25 line screens.

                              Program Summary

     The following is an abreviated summary of FIDO-FAM's features.
     The ARC file contains a complete User Manual, ready to print.

     Syntax : FIDO-FAM [a] [b] [d] [i] [n] [r] [k]
                       [path to system files]
                       [SEND nn [nn..[nn]] TO filename]

     Command Line Parameters:

     A - Auto Adopt mode. Upon entry to a file area, new files are
         automatically added to FILES.BBS.
     B - No Backups. This option defeats the creation of .BAK files
         for FILES.BBS and DIR.BBS.
     D - Show File Date (the way OPUS does).
     I - Make Insert mode the default when editing strings
         (otherwise Overwrite mode will be the default).
     N - No ANSI Color commands are used.
     R - Restore original colors (for PCDOS machines only).

     Any multi-char input on the command line, except that which
     begins with the keyword 'SEND', is interpreted as the path where
     the SYSTEMn.BBS files are to be found.

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 5                    3 Aug 1987

     An environment string named FAMOPT may also be used to invoke
     FIDO-FAM options EXCEPT the SEND option. The FAMOPT string has
     the same format as the command line.

     If the keyword SEND is found on the command line, FIDO-FAM
     operates in a Batch SEND mode, rather than interractively. This
     means the program creates the SEND file(s) requested and then
     terminates.

     A SEND file is a copy of FILES.BBS with the File Size, and
     optionally File Date included. It is a file 'snapshot' of an
     Area's contents, and is also what a user will see when Fido (or
     Opus) displays a Files list for the Area.

     A SEND command will contain a filename and a list of Area
     Numbers. FIDO-FAM will create either a single file which
     concatenates the Areas together, or multiple files, one in each
     Area.

     SEND files can also be created while running FIDO-FAM
     interractively.

     The following is a list of commands available in the File Area
     Editor:
               Display Controls (scrolling, paging)
               Mark/Unmark Lines (many of the following commands
                                  operate on single or multiple
                                  entries in FILES.BBS. Multiple
                                  entries may be either a range of
                                  lines or all Marked Lines)
               Abandon/Adopt file(s)
               Send a Command to DOS
               Line Editor (for file names and comments)
               Find
               Regenerate the Display
               Insert a comment
               Jump (to a new location)
               Kill/Delete Line(s)
               Move/Copy lines (within this area or to another area)
               Overwrite this Comment
               Quit the Editor
               Rename the File
               Sort files (by Name, Extent, or Date)
               Date the file description
               View a File
               Move current line to another area
               Display a 'help' screen
               Adopt all orphans
               Remove Date from Comment(s)
               Edit DIR.BBS (one line only)
               Touch (update File Date & Time)

     This version of FIDO-FAM underwent about 3 months of Beta testing
     by a number of Sysops from all over the country. The program's
     functionality and user interface were developed in response to
     their comments.
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 6                    3 Aug 1987

     FIDO-FAM's copyright allows unlimited non-commercial distribution
     and use. User comments, criticisms, suggestions and/or
     contributions are solicited.

     User support is available by sending messages to Dennis Glaeser
     on Fido 100/10 [phone (314) 232-6881].

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 7                    3 Aug 1987

     James Zachary
     Fido 115/537

                                Hotline! (2)
                                  (c) 1987
                               James Zachary

     The telephone at the water and sewage department is often busy
     with calls from customers concerned with public health matters.

     RING!

     Southeast Treatment Plant, this is Zack.

     "Is this the water department?"

     Yes Ma'am, for most of this area.

     "Good.  I have some very technical questions to ask you about
     the water."

     I'll try and help.

     "Why are my nipples getting so hard?"

     You're not really serious.

     "I AM SO!!  My nipples ... they're hard and they have this
     white coating on them!"

     Uhhhh, huh ... hard, uhhh, nipples with white, uhh ... stuff

     "Not only that, they're getting warped!"

     I see.

     "They used to be soft, pink and round!"

     I'm sure they were.

     "Now they really look disgusting!"

     I'm sure they do.

     "So I want to know what you're going to do about this!"

     I really don't think I can help you.  Have you discussed this
     with your personal physician?

     "Yes I have!  He said I should call you because he thought it
     was from the water!"

     I see... uhhhh, just why and how does he think the water is
     causing this?

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 8                    3 Aug 1987

     "He said cleaning them in boiling water sometimes does that."

     Sounds painful.  Can't you just sponge them off?

     "Painful?!  THE BABY BOTTLE NIPPLES ARE THE ONES I'M TALKING
     ABOUT!"

     Now I understand.

     "Are you going to buy me new ones?"

     Why would we do that?

     "Because your water ruined these.  My baby won't suck them
     anymore.  He's been sick and I think it's from the white stuff
     ... he used to really suck ..."

     May I ask how old your baby is?

     "He's six, going on seven"

     Six ... and he refuses the bottle?  Maybe he's getting a little
     old for the bottle.

     "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MY CHILD!"

     I wasn't.  How long have you been using these nipples?

     "Since he was born."

     "Hmmmmm.  My guess is the white film is from the calcium
     carbonate in the water ... kind of like bathtub ring of the
     nipple ..."

     "AND?!"

     ... and they are hard and warped because of being boiled and
     bitten for six years.

     "So!  You are refusing to pay!"

     Well, that's not for me to decide.  I was only trying to
     suggest they might just be plain worn out.

     "THEY WOULDN'T BE WORN OUT IF YOUR WATER WAS ANY GOOD!"

     There is really nothing more I can do for you.

     "JUST HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MY MONEY?"

     Well, why not grab your nipples and run down to our main
     office.  There you can file an insurance claim.

     "What good would that do?  Will they give me the money?"

     They will investigate and make a judgement whether to settle or
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 9                    3 Aug 1987

     not.

     "Well, you sure haven't been any help!  How do I get them to
     pay more attention than you have?"

     Just show them your nipples.

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 10                   3 Aug 1987

                          FidoNet's Growing Pains
                            A USENET Perspective

     [The following was extracted  from  the  news.admin  USENET  news
      distributions.  This  message  was massaged to fit the format of
      the FidoNews,  but is otherwise unaltered.  - Kurt Reisler SYSOP
      109/74 - The Bear's Den]

     Article 621 of news.admin:
     From: allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery)
     Newsgroups: news.groups,news.admin
     Subject: Re: Fidonet (was Re: the USENET problems)
     Date: 17 Jul 87 03:52:35 GMT

     As quoted from <45@oresoft.UUCP> by randy@oresoft.UUCP:

     > Unfortunately,  Fidonet's 'governing body',  IFNA, met with the
     > same  kind of warm,  friendly,  cooperative attitude that  such
     > suggestions   meet   on  usenet.    Entire   echo   conferences
     > (=newsgroups) died from the flaming and stupidity.   Only about
     > 20% of the >1500 public Fidonet nodes have even joined IFNA.
     >
     > Note  that  the  FidoNews one reads on  usenet  is  the  weekly
     > newsletter  put   together  by  the  constructive  folk.    The
     > trashers prefer to occupy  net.bandwidth with rumors, innuendo,
     > ad hominem attack,  and the normal  flaming.   As Fidonet users
     > tend  to  be more amateur than those on usenet (no  implication
     > meant in either direction), the Fidonet trashers usually  don't
     > even make interesting reading.

     At  the  last few meetings of CASA (the  Cleveland/Akron  Sysops'
     Association),  I  had  a discussion with some Fido  sysops.   The
     similarities between Fidonet and Usenet were striking.

     Indeed, Fidonet is going through the same problems as the Usenet.
     In fact,  worse problems,  because they don't have any "backbone"
     sites,  in the Usenet sense:   no gatech,  no seismo (of  course,
     that's about to happen to us as well),  no UUNET,  nothing of the
     sort.   Excessively  low SNR could destroy the Fidonet much  more
     quickly than it would the Usenet: the current Usenet situation is
     untenable on the Fidonet.

     I've also become more involved with local Fido systems.  And seen
     this myself.

     When  it  comes  down  to  it,  anarchy  doesn't  work  when  the
     population is too high.  Fidonet is rapidly approaching the line,
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 11                   3 Aug 1987

     Usenet  passed it long ago but continues on sheer blind  inertia.
     (The  loss  of  seismo may well blow Usenet  sky-high.   Add  the
     possibility  that Gene Spafford may leave the net,  and  it  gets
     worse.   If  UUNET  fails (still possible) on top  of  everything
     else, the loss of coordinated effort may damage the Usenet beyond
     all hope of recovery.)

     It's  time to open our eyes and look at the world.   Part of this
     may involve the "backbone cabal" meeting with the IFNA "board  of
     directors"  (if and when) and comparing notes;  maybe together we
     can come up with a solution for both networks.   As it is,  it is
     certain that the current situation is teetering on the brink.
     --
     [Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast
     216-781-6201  Redistributable  only  if   redistribution   is

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 12                   3 Aug 1987

                                  NOTICES

                          The Interrupt Stack

        Start of the Fourth International FidoNet Conference, to be
        held at the Radisson Mark Plaza Hotel in Alexandria, VA.
        Contact Brian Hughes at 109/634 for more information.  This is
        FidoNet's big annual get-together, and is your chance to meet
        all the people you've been talking with all this time.  We're
        hoping to see you there!

        Voyager 2 passes Neptune.

     If you have something which you would like to see on this
     calendar, please send a message to FidoNet node 1:1/1.

                              COMPUTERFEST '87
                             August 22-23 1987
                            Saturday 10am to 6pm
                             Sunday 10am to 5pm
                             Dayton Hara Arena

     Speakers, Seminars, User Group information, Product
     demonstrations, Flea Market.

     Drawing each day for a personal computer.  Hourly door prize
     drawing.

     Tickets $3.00 at the door for each day.  Parking is FREE and
     there is a lot of it.

                     Fourth International FidoNet Conference

     With  the  conference  rapidly  approaching,  I  want  to  remind
     everyone  to  send  in  your  registration  forms.   Even  though
     registrations will be accepted on  Thursday  Evening  and  Friday
     Morning at the Conference, It will not be possible to sign up for
     the  Banquet  on Friday or the Luncheon on Saturday if you do not
     pre-register.  We need to have  a  final  head  count  for  these
     functions   by  Tuesday,   August  18th.   Please  send  in  your
     registration forms before that date.

     Anyone wishing to charge their registration fees on  either  Visa
     or  MasterCard,  feel  free to contact Brian Hughes at the number
     listed below.  Remember,  your participation will help  insure  a
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 13                   3 Aug 1987

     successful conference.

     Brian Hughes:    202-543-4200    (work)
                      202-546-0883    (home)

                          Latest Software Versions

     BBS Systems            Node List              Other
     & Mailers   Version    Utilities   Version    Utilities   Version

     Dutchie        2.51    EDITNL          3.3    ARC            5.21
     Fido            11w    LISTGEN    05.25.86    ARCmail        1.00*
     Opus           1.00*   Prune          1.40    ConfMail       3.00*
     SEAdog         4.00    TestList        8.3    EchoMail       1.31
     TBBS           2.0M    XlatList       2.81    Renum          3.30

     * Recently changed

     Utility authors:  Please help  keep  this  list  up  to  date  by
     reporting  new  versions  to 1:1/1.  It is not our intent to list
     all utilities here, only those which verge on necessity.

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 14                   3 Aug 1987

                         OFFICIAL REGISTRATION FORM
                  FOURTH INTERNATIONAL FIDONET CONFERENCE
                         RADISSON MARK PLAZA HOTEL
                              ALEXANDRIA, VA.
                            AUGUST 20 - 23, 1987

         Name _________________________________     Date _____________
         Address ______________________________
         City & State _________________________
         Phone (Voice) ________________________
         Net/Node Number ______________________
         Phone (Data) _________________________

         Number in Your Party _________________
         Staying at the Radisson? _____________
         Number of Rooms? _____________________
         Arrival Date? ________________________
         Departure Date? ______________________

     Registration Fees:                         How Many        Total

         Full Conference        $60.00 each     ________    $________
         Late registration      $10.00 each     ________    $________
              (after Aug. 1)

         Friday Night Banquet   $30.00 each     ________    $________
         Saturday Luncheon      $16.50 each     ________    $________

         Total Amount Included (Registration and Meals)     $________

     IFNA MEMBERS ONLY:
         How many in your party will
         be attending the Sunday morning
         Board of Directors meeting?            ________

     Send your registration form and a check or money order to:

                  Fourth International FidoNet Conference
                 212 E. Capitol St., Washington, D.C. 20003
               Attn: Brian H. Hughes -- voice: (202) 543-4200

     This registration form does not include hotel  accomodations.  If
     you wish to stay at the Radisson Mark Plaza Hotel, please contact
     them  directly  and  mention you are with the FidoNet Conference.
     Conference  room  rates  are  $80/night  for  single  or   double
     occupancy, and $20/night for an extra cot.

                         Radisson Mark Plaza Hotel
                 5000 Seminary Rd., Alexandria, Va.  22311
                               1-800-228-9822

     FidoNews 4-29                Page 15                   3 Aug 1987

                     INTERNATIONAL FIDONET ASSOCIATION
                                 ORDER FORM

                                Publications

     The IFNA publications can be obtained by  downloading  from  Fido
     1/10  or other FidoNet compatible systems,  or by purchasing them
     directly from IFNA.  We ask that all our IFNA Committee  Chairmen
     provide  us with the latest versions of each publication,  but we
     can make no written guarantees.

                   Hardcopy prices as of October 1, 1986

     IFNA Fido BBS listing                       $15.00    _____
     IFNA Administrative Policy DOCs             $10.00    _____
     IFNA FidoNet Standards Committee DOCs       $10.00    _____

                                               SUBTOTAL    _____

                      IFNA Member ONLY Special Offers

     System Enhancement Associates SEAdog        $60.00    _____
     SEAdog price as of March 1, 1987
     ONLY 1 copy SEAdog per IFNA Member

     International orders include $5.00 for
            surface shipping or $15.00 for air shipping    _____

                                               SUBTOTAL    _____

                    Mo. Residents add 5.725 % Sales tax    _____

                                               TOTAL       _____

        SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO:
              IFNA
         P.O. Box 41143
         St. Louis, Missouri 63141  USA

     Name________________________________
     Net/Node____/____
     Company_____________________________
     Address_____________________________
     City____________________  State____________  Zip_____
     Voice Phone_________________________

     Signature___________________________
     FidoNews 4-29                Page 16                   3 Aug 1987

                                      __
                 The World's First   /  \
                    BBS Network     /|oo \
                    * FidoNet *    (_|  /_)
                                    _`@/_ \    _
                                   |     | \   \\
                                   | (*) |  \   ))
                      ______       |__U__| /  \//
                     / Fido \       _//|| _\   /
                    (________)     (_/(_|(____/ (jm)

            Membership for the International FidoNet Association

     Membership in IFNA is open to any individual or organization that
     pays  an  annual  specified  membership  fee.   IFNA  serves  the
     international  FidoNet-compatible  electronic  mail  community to
     increase worldwide communications. **

          Name _________________________________    Date ________
          Address ______________________________
          City & State _________________________
          Country_______________________________
          Phone (Voice) ________________________

          Net/Node Number ______________________
          Board Name____________________________
          Phone (Data) _________________________
          Baud Rate Supported___________________
          Board Restrictions____________________
          Special Interests_____________________
          ______________________________________
          ______________________________________
          Is there some area where you would be
          willing to help out in FidoNet?_______
          ______________________________________
          ______________________________________

     Send your membership form and a check or money order for $25 to:

               International FidoNet Association
               P. O. Box 41143
               St Louis, Missouri 63141
               USA

     Thank you for your membership!  Your participation will  help  to
     insure the future of FidoNet.

     ** Please NOTE that IFNA is a general not-for-profit organization
     in formation and Articles of Association and By-Laws were adopted
     by  the  membership  in January 1987.  An Elections Committee has
     been established to fill positions outlined in  the  By-Laws  for
     the  Board  of  Directors.  An  IFNA Echomail Conference has been
     established on FidoNet to  assist  the  Elections  Committee.  We
     welcome your input on this Conference.

        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP
Fido    125/406