[comp.org.fidonet] FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 5, # 5

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/09/88)

     Volume 5, Number  5                               1 February 1988
     |                                                  _            |
     |                                                 /  \          |
     |                                                /|oo \         |
     |        - FidoNews -                           (_|  /_)        |
     |                                                _`@/_ \    _   |
     |        International                          |     | \   \\  |
     |     FidoNet Association                       | (*) |  \   )) |
     |         Newsletter               ______       |__U__| /  \//  |
     |                                 / FIDO \       _//|| _\   /   |
     |                                (________)     (_/(_|(____/    |
     |                                                     (jm)      |
     Editor in Chief                                       Dale Lovell
     Editor Emeritus:                                   Thom Henderson
     Chief Procrastinator Emeritus:                       Tom Jennings
     Contributing Editors:                                   Al Arango

     FidoNews  is  published  weekly  by  the  International   FidoNet
     Association  as  its  official newsletter.  You are encouraged to
     submit articles for publication in FidoNews.  Article  submission
     standards  are contained in the file ARTSPEC.DOC,  available from
     node 1:1/1.

     Copyright 1987 by  the  International  FidoNet  Association.  All
     rights  reserved.  Duplication  and/or distribution permitted for
     noncommercial purposes only.  For  use  in  other  circumstances,
     please contact IFNA at (314) 576-4067. IFNA may also be contacted
     at PO Box 41143, St. Louis, MO 63141.

     The  contents  of  the  articles  contained  here  are  not   our
     responsibility,   nor   do   we   necessarily  agree  with  them.
     Everything here is  subject  to  debate.  We  publish  EVERYTHING
     received.

                             Table of Contents

     1. ARTICLES  .................................................  1
        A Message off Usenet  .....................................  1
        AUTOECHO A ECHOMAIL Utility Version 1.00  .................  2
        The Binkley Chronicles  ...................................  3
        The Search For The BitNet Gateway  ........................ 11
        Fido's Net, Would he have wanted it this way?  ............ 12
        Como Obtener un Numero de Nodo  ........................... 14
        POLICY4 Suggestions from Bob Hartman  ..................... 16
     2. WANTED  ................................................... 19
     3. NOTICES  .................................................. 21
        The Interrupt Stack  ...................................... 21
        Latest Software Versions  ................................. 21
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 1                    1 Feb 1988

                                 ARTICLES

     From ptsfa!vixie!uunet!steinmetz!davidsen
     Fri Dec 18 10:05:56 1987
     Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 12:30:20 est
     From: uunet!steinmetz!davidsen(William E. Davidsen Jr)
     To: hoptoad!pozar

     Subject: Re: FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 4, # 46
     Newsgroups: comp.org.fidonet

     I really  must point  out the incomplete nature of the article on
     archivers, and  question  the  concluson  reached.  There  may be
     people  who  have  disks  full  of  EXE  and COM files, but after
     checking a few home machines and some business  machines at work,
     I conclude  that many people have at most 50% files of this type.
     These  files  are  very  dense  and  show  little  improvement by
     compression, as the tests show.

     A  more  meaningful  test  would include databases, lots of text,
     both letters and source  code,  and  a  representative  sample of
     other non-executable  files. This  would be  more informative and
     useful.

     The  issue  of  portability  was  very  lightly  mentioned.  Some
     archivers are  limited to  MS-DOS by  virtue of  being written in
     assembler. Some will not run  on  OS/2  (except  in compatibility
     mode). If  the intension  was to present information on which the
     reader could base a decision, I feel that it was  inadequate. The
     user interface was not mentioned.

     Finally, the DWC archiver was not even considered. As PKARC it is
     limited to DOS currently, but the source is  available and  it is
     not shareware.  My benchmarks  show that  it slightly faster than
     PKARC and produces slightly smaller archives, but I would like to
     see  a  test  on  the  specific  test  files  used  for the other
     programs.

     I can't claim the the conclusions in the article were  wrong, but
     I do  believe that they were based on a very small number of data
     points, omitting both file type and  programs. The  tst should be
     repeated and the results posted.
     --
             bill davidsen           (wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 2                    1 Feb 1988

     Ben Mann / Paul Pappas
     OPUS 151/1000

                        AUTOECHO(tm)

          AutoEcho version  1.00 has  now been released. Thanks to all
     the "beta" testers. Your bug reports and suggestions have made it
     all worth while.

          AutoEcho  is  a  program  that  stems  from the needs of all
     ECHOMAIL HOST and HUB sysops. It allows a NODE to  send a message
     to the  HOST system  and turn on and off ECHO's that he/she would
     like to  recieve  or  not  recieve  without  the  intervention of
     the HOST system sysop.

          A message is sent to AUTOECHO with a password in the subject
     field. This password MUST agree with  a password  the HOST system
     defines in  a file  called AUTOECHO.PWD.  The body of the message
     contains the ECHO's the requester  wants  turned  on  or  off. If
     the ECHO  is preceeded by a minus sign the ECHO is turned off. If
     no sign is there the ECHO is turned on.

          AutoEcho  then  modifies  the  HOST  systems   AREAS.BBS  or
     ECHO.CTL  file  and  adds/deletes  the  ECHO  being  sent to that
     requestor.

          It also send a  message to  the requestor  informing him/her
     what action  was taken.  A message is also send to the "SYSOP" of
     the HOST system or to  his  "real  name"  if  environment varable
     SYSOP=[your name] is set.

          The  orginal  message  is  marked  RECEIVED  and will NOT be
     procesed by AutoEcho again.

          If the requestor enters  QUERY  on  the  first  line  of the
     message, AutoEcho send the requestor a list of echos available.

          AutoEcho  now  supports  "levels"  in the AUTOECHO.PWD file.
     This makes it  so  you  can  make  certain  echos  unavailable if
     desired.

          All actions  taken by  AUTOECHO can  be redirected to a log,
     AUTOECHO >> AUTOECHO.LOG, so  the HOST  sysop can  tell what ECHO
     has been picked up or deleted.

          AUTOECHO.A00 may  be requested  from 151/1000  or 151/100. A
     .DOC file and examples are included.

          Can you say "AUTOECHO?", I thought you could.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 3                    1 Feb 1988

     Cards on the table

     This is  about Binkley from a personal perspective.  It would
     not be fair to call it  a  review,  because  I  am  hardly an
     unbiased observer.  I use Binkley, and beta test it.

     Hopefully,  this  will  be  the  first  column of a series on
     Binkley and Opus related information.    We  are  looking for
     volunteers!    Get  in  touch  with  me at 321/202 if you are
     interested.

     Yet another front end

     You've probably heard people  talking about  BinkleyTerm as a
     front  end.    You've  probably asked yourself: "Why would we
     WANT another front end?"

     Binkley is a terminal program  or  BBS/Point  front  end that
     unifies the two different technologies of session protocol in
     the network -Bark, and WaZoo.   It handles  WaZoo flawlessly,
     and handles  Bark quite  well.    Binkley  is descendant from
     OpusLink, by Wynn Wagner  III,  which  was  incorporated into
     OConnect, by  Bob Hartman,  which eventually was gobbled into
     BinkleyTerm,  by  Vince  Perriello,  later  re-joined  by Bob
     Hartman.   The package  draws heavily  on sources released by
     Wynn  Wagner,  with  contributions   by   others.      It  is
     distributed on about the same terms as Opus - that it must be
     used in a lawful and friendly manner.

     Rather than say what  Binkley is,  perhaps we  should spend a
     little time  saying what  it is  not.   Binkley is NOT a full
     featured mail package, or point system.   It  is a  mailer in
     the purest  sense.  It has no packing, unpacking, routing, or
     message browsing/composition features.   You  will  need some
     sort of a message editor: RoverMsg, Dutched, Sirius, Mail, or
     anything similar.

     Binkley is a terminal  plus a  whole lot  more.   To quote an
     opening  screen,  BinkleyTerm  is  "A  Companion  Package for
     communicating with  the Opus  CBCS".   But that's  not all ..
     it's also "A Public Domain FidoNet Compatible Mail Utility".

     General Features

     Full Screen Interface

     One  of  the  major  features  of  Binkley  is  a full screen
     interface while in mailer mode.    While  most  other mailers
     just scrolls information by, Binkley puts it in windows.

     Full Source Code

     Perhaps the  most important feature of Binkley is the release
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 4                    1 Feb 1988

     of 100% of the source code with the package.

     Be warned, however, that  Binkley  was  developed  using MS-C
     4.0.   Due to  some size differences in the MS-C 5.0 library,
     the program will not link under 5.0.  The program,  which was
     done in small model, is VERY close to the edge of memory, and
     the differences push it  over.   Bob and  Vince eagerly await
     some person  taking the source and solving the problem!  (The
     next  "official"  version  of   Binkley   will   probably  be
     overlaid.)

     Unlike Opus,  very little  of Binkley is in assembly.  And it
     uses the MS-C libraries, not the WWIII version thereof!

     Improved Documentation

     Alan  Applegate  reworked  the  documentation.    Where  even
     experienced users had problems with the old docs, they should
     find the 1.20 docs to be quite usable.  (I  have talked  to a
     couple of  other sysops  who have  said that  as good as they
     are, they are still not what a beginning sysop would need.)

     Multitasker Aware

     Binkley  detects  a  number  of  popular   multitaskers,  and
     releases time slices to them.

     Session Level Information

     Protocols, etc. Supported

     Bark

     Binkley  supports  Bark  file  requests  100%, on the inbound
     side.  Since Binkley  uses Opus'  outbound message structure,
     there is no mechanism for initiating an update request.

     Depending on your definition, Binkley does qualify for the XP
     flag.

     WaZOO

     This will come as no news to someone who runs pure Opus - but
     for those  of us  who ran SEADog over Opus, or TBBS, (or RBBS
     ...) the difference  is  breathtaking.    Especially  at 9600
     baud.

     SEALink with Overdrive

     This  is  one  of  the  weaker features of Binkley.  For some
     connections, it works  fine.    In  others,  it  breaks down.
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 5                    1 Feb 1988

     According  to  Bob  Hartman,  the  timing  problems between a
     SEADog  (in  SLO)  and  Binkley  are   largely  due   to  the
     differences in  code, mandated  by the flexibility maintained
     on the Binkley side.

     Remember, though, that SLO only kicks in at 9600, and  it can
     be disabled in Binkley.Cfg.

     Restartable Transfers

     Binkley  supports  restartable  file  transfers  in  a  WaZOO
     session.  If you get 200K of a  300K file,  and lose carrier,
     so  long  as  the  chunk  you  have and the file sent are not
     changed, Binkley will pick up where it left off.

     This will be supported in Opus 1.10 as well, and is partially
     supported by  Opus 1.03.   The method used is NOT the same as
     is being used  by  Dutchie  2.80,  and  is  not  known  to be
     compatible with any other mailers on the streets.

     Scripting

     Binkley also  supports scripting.   I  am not at all familiar
     with this, we are hoping that  in  a  future  version  of the
     "Binkley Chronicles",  we will  have an  extensive example of
     how to use Bink's scripting.

     Magic File Names

     Binkley  supports  "magic  file  names".    For  example, the
     current version  of Binkley (executable) can be obtained from
     most any Binkley distribution point under the name "BINKLEY".
     Magic file  names may  expand to  more than one file, and may
     have passwords associated with them.

     Security

     Binkley uses Opus style session security.   If  passwords are
     being used  between two  nodes, they are exchanged before ANY
     mail is transferred, and if they  are incorrect,  the session
     is terminated.

     Configuration

     A Hybridization of Control Style and Operation

     Binkley  is   in  most   respects,  a  hybridization  of  the
     technologies extent in the network.  Binkley is potent partly
     because its  authors have  had the  value of 20/20 hindsight-
     they have been able to look over the design decisions in this
     product  and  that,  and  combine  the  best of them into one
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 6                    1 Feb 1988

     product.

     Binkley has a very nice, simple set of controls.  The primary
     one  is  Binkley.Cfg,  which  is  very  similar  to  SEADog's
     Config.Dog.  There are  some differences,  however.   For the
     most part, "security related" information is isolated outside
     of the primary files.  For  example, session  level passwords
     are contained  in OpusNode.Pwd,  and file level passwords are
     contained in the OKFile.Lst file.  This makes it much simpler
     to package  a copy of one's files to give to another sysop as
     an example.

     While  this  SEADog  user  was  far   more  comfortable  with
     Binkley's style of defining and running events (as opposed to
     Opus'), there are some  important  and  powerful differences.
     Binkley  gives  you  the  ability  to  exit  with a specified
     errorlevel  the  first  time  an  event   is  encountered,  a
     different one  when mail  is taken  in, and  yet another when
     arcmail is taken  in.    These  errorlevels  can  be uniquely
     specified on an event by event basis, or omitted.

     There  is  also  more  control  over  the  handling of events
     "passed over" due to a  long  transfer,  or  some  other down
     time.   Where SEADog  will execute each and every event (very
     time consuming with all  the packing  and unpacking), Binkley
     will  only  execute  those  events  classified  as  "forced".
     Otherwise,  it  simply  jumps   into  the   "current"  event.
     Combined  with  less  time  spent  packing  and unpacking, my
     system is left with  (much) more  uptime, and  much less wear
     and tear.   (Although  in all  fairness, my system is weirder
     than most.  When it was running SEADog,  it ran  events every
     20 minutes, 24 hours a day.)

     Binkley.Cfg

     The Binkley.Cfg  file is  editable with a simple text editor,
     much the same as SEADog's (and  the  new  Fido's,  or  so I'm
     told.)   This is  ALL that  Binkley proper  needs to operate,
     other than an Opus format  nodelist.

     BT_CTL

     A program is provided with Binkley,  BT_CTL, which  takes the
     Binkley.Cfg file  and cranks  out the .PRM and Mail.Sys files
     you need to run echomail and oMMM.  You can live without this
     if you are running Opus proper.

     FOSSIL driver

     Like Opus, Binkley has no inboard ability to talk to the comm
     ports (or the screen or keyboard, for that matter.)  All such
     processing  is  handled  by  an  externally  installed FOSSIL
     driver.  The FOSSIL  driver of  choice for  most PC  users is
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 7                    1 Feb 1988

     X00, by Ray Gwinn.

     oMMM as a packer

     As mentioned  before, you  need some kind of a packer to take
     the messages out of the mail  area(s) and  put them  into the
     holding directory that Binkley uses.  Binkley works just like
     Opus in this  respect  -  it  looks  for  files  with various
     extensions, and sends them on the basis of the file name part
     or the contents.  All scheduling and routing  is accomplished
     by  changing  the  extensions  and arcing packets bound for a
     common destination into a single arc.

     oMMM (the Opus Matrix Message Masher)  is the  tool generally
     used to do this.

     There have  been some  efforts made to allow other packers to
     be used, particularly Dutchie's, but there  are some problems
     on that front.

     OpusNode flavor nodelists

     Binkley uses Opus flavor nodelists.  This means you will need
     OpusNode to compile your nodelists, and either the latest and
     greatest XlatList, or the quasi-released ParseList.

     The  session  level  security  is handled using OpusNode.Pwd,
     just as it is with Opus.

     If you are using Dutched or Mail as your message  editor, you
     will need  nodelists for them, in addition to your Opus style
     list.  If you are running in a  true point  configuration, it
     is worth  your while  to have  a "dummied" nodelist with just
     your Boss for OpusNode, and a full nodelist  for your editor.
     Otherwise, you will need to kiss off an extra quarter to half
     a megabyte.

     Opus Style File Access Controls

     The file request  information  is  handled  Opus  style.   An
     "OKFile.Lst" style  file is  used to determine what files may
     be downloaded, and what  passwords  must  be  used  for them.
     There is an extension for "magic file names", where the magic
     name is prefixed with an @ sign.

     Binkley also supports the "ABOUT" file, and the "FILES" files
     in the same manner as Opus.

     Terminal Features

     ANSI Terminal Emulation

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 8                    1 Feb 1988

     Binkley will  do a very good job of emulating a VT-100 if you
     have a complete  ANSI  driver  installed.    FANSI-CONSOLE is
     mentioned  as  the  driver  of  choice,  as  it takes care of
     remapping keys as well as remapping video strings.

     Many file transfer protocols

     In the terminal mode, Binkley supports  a wide  range of file
     transfer  protocols  -  all  the protocols that are "core" to
     network mail transfers in any flavor.

     Who should use Binkley, and who should not?

     People who should consider Binkley

     Any system serving both Bark and WaZoo systems

     If you run a system that supports a mixture of Bark and WaZoo
     systems,  you  would  do  well to consider running Binkley as
     your front end.  By doing  so, the  systems you  support will
     have to do that much less work to request files, etc.

     Power Point talking to a barefoot Opus

     If you  have a  "power user"  acting as  a point, and you are
     running Opus or Binkley over Opus, you might  consider having
     that point  use Binkley  as his mailer.  This is particularly
     true if high speed modems are  involved.   Dutchie is written
     in Turbo  Pascal, and is not fast enough to support 9600 baud
     transfers at full speed.

     Anyone wanting more security than SEADog offers

     Currently, SEADog ONLY secures the handing  out of  mail.  It
     will TAKE  mail from anyone.  With Binkley, as with Opus, any
     and all sessions can be secured.  Although  relatively minor,
     every little bit helps.

     People who might be better off with something else

     Most point users

     At the  current time,  most point  users would  be better off
     using  an  integrated,  fully  functional  package,  such  as
     Dutchie or  SEADog.   Being a  point is a complex enough task
     without having to integrate a whole bunch of different tools,
     some of  which are not documented quite as well as they could
     be.

     Highly mobile point users
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 9                    1 Feb 1988

     SEADog has a wonderful ability -  to handle  phone number de-
     prefixing  (stripping  the  1-  and  1-aaa) at the MAILER, as
     opposed to nodelist compilation phase.  Binkley does not have
     this ability,  and I've  been told  it never will.  While you
     can override the number for your boss node in the Binkley.Cfg
     file, if  you want  to be  truly and correctly mobile without
     recompiling nodelists  all the  time, you're  better off with
     SEADog.

     Anyone happy running Opus barefoot

     Any sysop  who is  happy running  a barefoot Opus is probably
     better off staying  that  way.    If  Bark  requests  are not
     important  to  you,  all  you  will  add with Binkley is a 20
     second loading the Opus software delay to annoy your users.

     Anyone using their system for Real Business

     Binkley is part of the BBS project.  As such, it is available
     on an  as-is basis.  If you are using your system to do real,
     commercial work that requires 100% functionality,  you should
     think twice about using ANY unsupported tools.

     People who are still in a quandary

     TBBS Users

     There  have  been  varying  reports on whether or not Binkley
     works with TBBS.  There is reputedly at  least one  system on
     the net  that is  running this combination, but MANY who have
     tried it and failed.  There is apparently  a conflict between
     some FOSSIL drivers and TBBSDVR.

     The authors are very interested in supporting TBBS.  They are
     looking for a few good beta testers on that front.  If you're
     interested,  send  netmail  here  -  Bob and Vince are in the
     crunch phase now, in more ways than one.

     Other "Funny" BBS's

     Most of the gateways to  other  BBS's  make  some assumptions
     along  the   lines  of  Fido/SEADog  style  message  packing.
     Adaptations have to  be  made  somewhere  along  the  line to
     compensate  for  these  assumptions.    To  the  best  of  my
     knowledge, Binkley is not yet being used as  a front  end for
     anything  other  than  "traditional"  net  compatible  BBS's.
     (PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!)  It's only a matter of time ...

     Conclusions and the sad state of political affairs

     Binkley is a superb technical  statement.    It's  actually a
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 10                   1 Feb 1988

     shame  that  it  is  also  a  point  of controversy, posed as
     competition for this package or that.  It's rather depressing
     that one  must consider political positions in viewing such a
     wonderful technical statement.  Binkley is not a "third camp"
     of mailer.   Binkley  is not  "something different" that some
     accuse the "WaZoo types" of trying to do.  It's an attempt to
     demonstrate that quite a bit can be accomodated in 100K or so
     of code.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 11                   1 Feb 1988

                     The Search for the BitNet Gateway
                             By Chris Candreva
                                  107/35

         I've got this little problem: I'm addicted to FidoMail.
     This was no problem until last September, when I went to
     college. See, us lowly Freshmen can't have phone lines in our
     rooms, which makes it almost impossible to call BBSs.

         But, it seems there is a possible solution! Stevens (the
     college I attend) has a rather large networked VAX system,
     which is hooked into Bitnet. Now, rumor has it that there is a
     FidoNet <=> Bitnet Gateway. This would be great! I could send
     mail to my friends on PHALSE and Excalibur back home. The
     computer dept. would even allow me to have the space to receive
     Echo conferences, assuming we could work out the technical
     problems of routing. Fantastic!

         Except, I can't for the life of me FIND this gateway! I
     remember reading FidoNews articles on it a while ago, but my
     collection of old FidoNews is a little unorganized, and I
     haven't been able to find the article I am thinking of. If
     someone out there knows where the nearest FidoNet<=>Bitnet
     gateway is in the New York/New Jersey area (or if you actually
     ARE this gateway), would you please drop me a line at PHALSE
     QBBS 107/35? I would be very grateful!

         Thanks for taking the time to read this. And have fun --
     that's what we're here for, right?

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 12                   1 Feb 1988

     Ben Mann
     151/0

                         FIDOSNET

          As alot  of you know region 18 went thru alot of flexing
     and turnoil in the last several  months. For  those who don't
     know, our  regional coordinator was replaced without hardly a
     wisper in the middle of the  night. We  had no  say. The zone
     coordinator said it and it was done.

          The new  region 18 coordinator is a nice guy. Means well
     and all that, but I have to wonder if FIDO  would have wanted
     it that  way. I  mean you  know what  happened in Boston some
     years ago. Something about the rights of the governed.

          Well I didn't like  it AND  don't like  it now.  I would
     like a say in who I work with AND who I don't.

          If the  regional coordinator  wasn't doing  his job then
     don't you think that I should have know? I was one of  the 28
     network coordinator  that work  with him  for the  last three
     years. 22 of which  still support  him as  being the regional
     coordinator. And I was always satisfied of the responce times
     and decisions made, even if I didn't agree with them.

          I thought FidoNet was a sort of big club. Run by and for
     the  members.  NOT  a  dictatorship.  Run  from the top, with
     little, or no, reguard for the members.

          Well I found out real F-A-S-T.

     I just have to ponder:

         "Would Fido have wanted it that way?".

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 13                   1 Feb 1988

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 14                   1 Feb 1988

     Editor's note: While FidoNews articles only include the ASCII
                    characters space through tilde, I am allowing
                    this one to be printed due to its nature.

     Juan Davila
     Node 367/1

     The article below is meant for a new  sysop and  describes how to
     go about getting a node address in Net 367.      It is written in
     Spanish and is an example of the type of work we are doing in the
     LatinoNet.  We are engaged in many  other projects as well,  some
     of which we'll be telling you all about during the coming weeks.

     Most of our work is coordinated through our echo, LATINO.  We are
     passing messages  twice weekly and if you would be  interested in
     participating please let me know.     You can also contact either
     Pablo Kleinman (368/1)  or  Travis Good (102/851) for more infor-
     mation.

                    Como obtener un n#mero de Nodo
                  en FidoNet 367 (RED de Puerto Rico)
                  ===================================

     FidoNet 367  en  la actualidad tiene 5 Nodos activos alrededor de
     todo Puerto Rico.  Si usted esta comenzando un sistema FIDO o uno
     compatible en  Puerto Rico  o areas limitrofes y tiene interes en
     obtener un n#mero de Nodo, env!e un mensaje privado v!a FIDOmail,
     desde su  sistema  al  Operador  del  Nodo  367/1.    Si necesita
     cambiar  el  n#mero de Nodo inicial (-1/-1) porque su programa no
     le  permite  utilizar  este  n#mero,  entonces  utilice el n#mero
     (367/-1), #nicamente con el prop"sito de enviar este mensaje.  No
     utilice un n#mero de Nodo ya existente  o previamente otorgados a
     otro Nodo.

     Su mensaje debe incluir la siguiente informaci"n:

                  El nombre de sus sistema (14 letras m ximo)
                  El nombre del operador (su Verdadero nombre)
                  El n#mero telef"nico del Sistema (data)
                  Localizaci"n del sistema (Ciudad y Estado)
                  Su n#mero telef"nico de voz
                  Horas en que su sistema funcionar
                  La velocidad m xima que puede aceptar su sistema
                  Que equipo utiliza su sistema
                  Cualquier otra cosa que usted crea importante

     Cuando  envie  su  mensaje  tiene  que  enviarlo  con  un archivo
     "FALSO"  adjunto,  para  poder  evitar  la rutina interna de FIDO
     que  evitara  que  dicho  mensaje  llegue directo al 367/1.  Para
     adjuntar  un  archivo  "FALSO",  conteste que "Si" a la pregunta,
     "Attach File?", del FIDO, y asigne un nombre de un archivo que no
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 15                   1 Feb 1988

     exista.  Esto  instruir   a  FIDO que envie el mensaje directo en
     lugar de enviarlo por las rutas al  "Host", donde quedar  como un
     mensaje  huerfano  porque  no  contiene un n#mero de Nodo v lido.
     Eventualmente  me  ser   enviado  pero esto tomar  mas tiempo del
     necesario.

     Una vez yo reciba su petici"n, verificare los n#meros telef"nicos
     de  su FIDO y le  eviare  su  nuevo  n#mero de Nodo por FIDOmail.
     Cualquier petici"n procesada  antes del miercoles de cada semana,
     aparecer  en el nuevo listado de Nodos de ese viernes.

     Si tiene alguna pregunta adicional sobre este procedimiento, deje
     un mensaje dirigido al Operador.

     Juan D vila
     Operador y Coordinador
     RED 367 de Puerto Rico

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 16                   1 Feb 1988

     Ed note: This is one of several proposals consisting of
              suggestions for the new POLICY4 document which is being
              published for review by FidoNet Sysops and the
              subcommittee of Membership Services. Publication of
              these proposals will take place in FidoNews weekly
              until they have all been seen.

              Discussion regarding the new POLICY4 is taking place in
              the POLICY4 EchoMail conference.

                          EZ-POLICY FOR FIDONET
                                    by
                      Bob Hartman, Sysop 1:132/101

     This document is meant to be a starting point for further
     discussion on FidoNet Policy and Procedures.  It is a draft of
     what could later be accepted as the official FidoNet Policy and
     Procedures Guide, and comments/suggestions are not only welcome,
     but encouraged.

     SECTION I: LEVELS OF FIDONET

     The FidoNet Network is broken down into many different levels
     much as the hierarchy within any efficient organization.  Thru
     past history, the following hierarchy has developed:

     1.  All System Operators (SysOps) taken collectively (FidoNet).
     This is the topmost level of the structure, and represents the
     entirety of FidoNet.

     [NOTE: During the resolution of a dispute involving the
     expenditure of money, only those Sysops representing the
     minority that would have to spend the money are allowed to vote
     on the issue.  An example would be a dispute on whether or not
     Network Coordinators are responsible for forwarding the NODELIST
     to all of the nodes in their network, or whether it is
     acceptable to have the nodes poll to get the NODELIST.  This
     issue clearly is a dispute that involves money being spent by
     the Network Coordinators or other SysOps.  The Network
     Coordinators are the smaller group, and therefore only SysOps in
     that position are eligible to vote on the outcome.  If the
     reverse were true, the larger number would almost inevitably
     vote not to spend their money, but rather have the smaller group
     shoulder the burden.]

     2.  International FidoNet Association (IFNA) Board of Directors.
     This group is elected so as to be broadly representative of the
     views of the SysOps of FidoNet.

     3.  IFNA Executive Committee.  Because of the size of the IFNA
     Board of Directors (necessary to maintain reasonable
     representation for all parts of the world), it is necessary to
     have this small working group to take on the everyday operations
     of IFNA.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 17                   1 Feb 1988

     4.  IFNA Vice President - Technical Coordinator (VP-TC).  This
     is an Officer of IFNA position that is filled in accordance with
     the Articles and By-Laws of IFNA.  This Officer is responsible
     for the maintenance and distribution of the master FidoNet
     nodelist, and ensuring the smooth operation of FidoNet.

     6.  Zone Coordinator (ZC).  This position oversees one Zone of
     FidoNet and is responsible for the smooth functioning of FidoNet
     within that Zone.

     7.  Regional Coordinator (RC).  This position oversees one
     Region within a Zone and is responsible for the smooth
     functioning of FidoNet within that Region.

     8.  Network Coordinator (NC).  This position oversees one
     Network in one Region and is responsible for the smooth
     functioning of FidoNet within that Network.

     9.  SysOp.  This is the singular unit of FidoNet.  The SysOp
     runs his or her own FidoNet capable software such that their
     system can function as part of FidoNet within the guidelines
     imposed by the various levels of FidoNet above the SysOp level.
     Those guidelines are formulated over time as defined in this
     document.

     SECTION II: RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES

     In FidoNet it is very often necessary to resolve a dispute
     between SysOps at various levels of the hierarchy.  For the
     purposes of this section, the following terms need to be
     defined:

     PLAINTIFF - The SysOp lodging a complaint against another SysOp.

     DEFENDANT - The SysOp against whom a complaint has been lodged
     by a plaintiff.

     MEDIATION LEVEL - One level in the FidoNet hierarchy ABOVE the
     level of the defendant.

     All disputes in FidoNet have the parties defined above.  Using a
     "sliding window" of authority, any dispute can be heard and
     solved at any level of the hierarchy.  The procedure is as
     follows:

     1.  Plaintiff files an official complaint against the Defendant
     by informing the Mediation Level of the problem.

     2.  The Mediation Level hears the complaint and asks for as much
     information as possible from all concerned parties before making
     a judgement.

     3.  The Mediation Level issues a "verdict" in the case.

     4.  If the Plaintiff feels slighted by the "verdict", the case
     may be appealed with the new Defendant being the combination of
     FidoNews 5-05                Page 18                   1 Feb 1988

     the original Defendant, and the original Mediation Level, and
     the process starts over again at number 1.  At this point the
     complaint is being heard two levels above the original Defendent
     - effectively the authority for making the decision has been
     shifted via a "sliding window" to the next level.

     5.  If the Defendant feels slighted by the "verdict", the case
     may be appealed with the new Defendant being the original
     Mediation Level, and the process starts over again at number 1.
     Both 4 and 5 have the effect of moving the outcome of the
     complaint up the chain of command.

     All decisions at the topmost level are final and can no longer
     be appealed.  All disputes are solved in this manner.

     SECTION III: POLICIES

     The Policy at each level of the FidoNet hierarchy is formed
     through the resolution of disputes.  When a dispute is finally
     resolved, the policies of all levels below the level making the
     final compromise are affected.  For this reason, each level of
     the hierarchy is responsible for maintaining a "Case Law"
     document of policies and procedures that have been created at
     that level.  In no case may a "Case Law" document from one level
     be in conflict with any of the "Case Law" documents at higher
     levels.  However, "Case Law" documents at the same level need
     not be the same.  For example, Region 16 may have it in their
     case law that each Network Coordinator must have the latest
     issue of FidoNews available for pickup by any of the nodes in
     the network, while Region 10 case law may say that it is not
     necessary for the Network Coordinators to have FidoNews on-line.
     If however, FidoNet acting as a whole has in the case law book
     at the top level that Network Coordinators must have FidoNews
     available for pickup, then the rule in Region 10 is in conflict
     and is therefore superceded.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 19                   1 Feb 1988

                                  WANTED

                             -- VIRUS QUERY --

     Reporter writing  an article  for the  NY Times  on the threat of
     "virus'  ("mole,)  "worm"  and/or  trojan  horse   "attack  code"
     programs  seeks  reports  of  real  experiences  with these often
     distructive, sometimes playful, devices.  I'm  interested  in any
     reports about incidents involving PCs, minis or micros.

     Please forward  replies to Vin  McLellan at Fido 101/154, (voice)
     617-426-2487, or Snail
     : 125 Kingston St., Boston, Ma. 02111.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 20                   1 Feb 1988

     TRW Real Estate Information Systems, in Anaheim, CA is seeking a
     creative Senior Programmer/Analyst to aid in the analysis,
     design and implementation of a new generation of micro/mainframe
     systems running in an IBM PC-AT compatible multitasking
     environment.

     We are looking for motivated, independent thinker with a minimum
     of two years MS-DOS micro programming in C or Macro Assembler
     and two years mini/mainframe programming.  Experience in
     structured development techniques and systems analysis/design
     required.  Familiarity with micro-mainframe communications,
     micro hardware, and networks is desirable.  Direct customer
     interface is common, so good written and oral communication
     skills are needed.

     Please forward your resume with work history and references to:
     TRW Real Estate Information Systems, Professional Employment,
     Dept. DL-101, 2000 S. Anaheim Blvd., Suite 100, Anaheim, CA
     92805.  An equal opportunity employer.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 21                   1 Feb 1988

                                  NOTICES

     The Area Code for Southern Colorado changes to 719.  Be sure to
     change your script files as necessary.

                          The Interrupt Stack

        Start  of  the  International  FidoNet  Associations  Board of
        Directors meeting in St. Louis. Meeting runs through the 21st.

        Start  of  the  Fifth  International FidoNet Conference, to be
        held  at the Drawbridge Inn  in Cincinnatti, OH.  Contact  Tim
        Sullivan at 108/62 for more information. This is FidoNet's big
        annual get-together, and is your chance to meet all the people
        you've  been talking with  all this time.  We're hoping to see
        you there!

        Voyager 2 passes Neptune.

     If you have something which you would like to see on this
     calendar, please send a message to FidoNet node 1:1/1.

                          Latest Software Versions

     BBS Systems            Node List              Other
     & Mailers   Version    Utilities   Version    Utilities   Version

     Dutchie        2.80*   EditNL          3.3    ARC            5.21
     Fido            12e*   MakeNL         1.10    ARCmail         1.1
     Opus          1.03a    Prune          1.40    ConfMail       3.31*
     SEAdog         4.10    XlatList       2.85*   EchoMail       1.31
     TBBS           2.0M                           MGM             1.1
     BinkleyTerm    1.30*

     * Recently changed

     Utility authors:  Please help  keep  this  list  up  to  date  by
     reporting  new  versions  to 1:1/1.  It is not our intent to list
     all utilities here, only those which verge on necessity.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 22                   1 Feb 1988

                                      __
                 The World's First   /  \
                    BBS Network     /|oo \
                    * FidoNet *    (_|  /_)
                                    _`@/_ \    _
                                   |     | \   \\
                                   | (*) |  \   ))
                      ______       |__U__| /  \//
                     / Fido \       _//|| _\   /
                    (________)     (_/(_|(____/ (tm)

            Membership for the International FidoNet Association

     Membership in IFNA is open to any individual or organization that
     pays  a  specified  annual   membership  fee.   IFNA  serves  the
     international  FidoNet-compatible  electronic  mail  community to
     increase worldwide communications.

     Member Name _______________________________  Date _______________
     Address _________________________________________________________
     City ____________________________________________________________
     State ________________________________  Zip _____________________
     Country _________________________________________________________
     Home Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________
     Work Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________
     Zone:Net/Node Number ____________________________________________
     BBS Name ________________________________________________________
     BBS Phone Number ________________________________________________
     Baud Rates Supported ____________________________________________
     Board Restrictions ______________________________________________
     Your Special Interests __________________________________________
     In what areas would you be willing to help in FidoNet? __________
     Send this membership form and a check or money order for $25 in
     US Funds to:
                   International FidoNet Association
                   c/o Leonard Mednick, MBA, CPA
                   700 Bishop Street, #1014
                   Honolulu, Hawaii 96813-4112
                   USA

     Thank you for your membership!  Your participation will  help  to
     insure the future of FidoNet.

     Please  NOTE  that  IFNA is a general not-for-profit organization
     and Articles of Association  and  By-Laws  were  adopted  by  the
     membership in January 1987.  The first elected Board of Directors
     was filled in August 1987.  The IFNA Echomail Conference has been
     established  on  FidoNet  to  assist  the Board.  We welcome your
     input to this Conference.

     FidoNews 5-05                Page 23                   1 Feb 1988

                     INTERNATIONAL FIDONET ASSOCIATION
                                 ORDER FORM

                                Publications

     The IFNA publications can be obtained by downloading from Fido
     1:1/10 or  other FidoNet compatible  systems, or by purchasing
     them directly from IFNA.  We ask that  all our  IFNA Committee
     Chairmen   provide  us   with  the  latest  versions  of  each
     publication, but we can make no written guarantees.

     Hardcopy prices as of October 1, 1986

        IFNA Fido BBS listing                       $15.00    _____
        IFNA Administrative Policy DOCs             $10.00    _____
        IFNA FidoNet Standards Committee DOCs       $10.00    _____

                                                  SUBTOTAL    _____

                      IFNA Member ONLY Special Offers

        System Enhancement Associates SEAdog        $60.00    _____
        SEAdog price as of March 1, 1987
        ONLY 1 copy SEAdog per IFNA Member

        Fido Software's Fido/FidoNet               $100.00    _____
        Fido/FidoNet price as of November 1, 1987
        ONLY 1 copy Fido/FidoNet per IFNA Member

        International orders include $10.00 for
               surface shipping or $20.00 for air shipping    _____

                                                  SUBTOTAL    _____

                    HI. Residents add 4.0 % Sales tax         _____

                                                  TOTAL       _____

        SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER IN US FUNDS:
        International FidoNet Association
        c/o Leonard Mednick, MBA, CPA
        700 Bishop Street, #1014
        Honolulu, HI.  96813-4112
        USA

     Name________________________________
     Zone:Net/Node____:____/____

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |