[comp.org.fidonet] FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 6, # 2

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/12/89)

     Volume 6, Number  2                                9 January 1989
     |                                                  _            |
     |                                                 /  \          |
     |                                                /|oo \         |
     |        - FidoNews -                           (_|  /_)        |
     |                                                _`@/_ \    _   |
     |        International                          |     | \   \\  |
     |     FidoNet Association                       | (*) |  \   )) |
     |         Newsletter               ______       |__U__| /  \//  |
     |                                 / FIDO \       _//|| _\   /   |
     |                                (________)     (_/(_|(____/    |
     |                                                     (jm)      |
     Editor in Chief                                       Dale Lovell
     Editor Emeritus:                                   Thom Henderson
     Chief Procrastinator Emeritus:                       Tom Jennings
     Contributing Editors:                                   Al Arango

     FidoNews  is  published  weekly  by  the  International   FidoNet
     Association  as  its  official newsletter.  You are encouraged to
     submit articles for publication in FidoNews.  Article  submission
     standards  are contained in the file ARTSPEC.DOC,  available from
     node 1:1/1.  1:1/1 is available  for network  mail between  NMH-1
     hour to NMH+1 hour.  At all other times,  netmail is not accepted
     although submissions can be uploaded.

     Copyright 1988 by  the  International  FidoNet  Association.  All
     rights  reserved.  Duplication  and/or distribution permitted for
     noncommercial purposes only.  For  use  in  other  circumstances,
     please contact IFNA at (314) 576-4067. IFNA may also be contacted
     at PO Box 41143, St. Louis, MO 63141.

     Fido  and FidoNet  are registered  trademarks of  Tom Jennings of
     Fido Software,  164 Shipley Avenue,  San Francisco, CA  94107 and
     are used with permission.

     The  contents  of  the  articles  contained  here  are  not   our
     responsibility,   nor   do   we   necessarily  agree  with  them.
     Everything here is  subject  to  debate.  We  publish  EVERYTHING
     received.

                             Table of Contents

     1. ARTICLES  .................................................  1
        It has to cost SOME-one something!  .......................  1
        Hints on Writing Style for Usenet (or FidoNet)  ...........  3
        SDNet/Works!  .............................................  6
     2. COLUMNS  ..................................................  9
        RegComm - Communications From RegCon  .....................  9
        Rogel's Corner:  Tree86 2.0  .............................. 10
        Let's YACK about Letters to the Editor  ................... 15
     3. NOTICES  .................................................. 16
        The Interrupt Stack  ...................................... 16
        Latest Software Versions  ................................. 16
     And more!
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 1                    9 Jan 1989

                                 ARTICLES

                      It has to cost SOME-one something!

     Echomail does have a cost attached to it somewhere.

       I feel that the day of the free ride is just about over.
     People have become so accustomed to free delivery of echomail
     that many now take advantage of it. If it is free, let's get
     more!

       This network is a hobby for almost everyone in it. It services
     both the rich and the poor. There are some folks out there with
     money to burn that have no concept of how to keep things
     organized. There are some folks out there that are brilliant
     managers that barely can make ends meet. FidoNet should not
     suffer organizationally because the "poorer" sysops have no
     recourse to recoup some costs.

       Please rest assured that I am speaking for echomail only. This
     has nothing to do with netmail. There needs to be in place a
     system that is endorsed by anyone in a management position, a way
     for some costs to be re-imbursed. I propose that REC's, NEC's
     and/or any EchoMail hub be allowed to require that system feeds
     pay their share.

       It would still be the cheapest, most efficient way for echomail
     to be passed along. Let's take a look at a simple back-bone
     structure top down.

       A Star Hub's echomail portion of his bill is $400.00. He feeds
     10 REC's. In simplistic terms, each REC owes $40.00 to the Star
     Hub. An REC's bill is $250.00. Add the $40.00 of his share to
     that, making the total $290.00. Now, the REC feeds 15 NEC's. Each
     NEC share would be $19.33. One step further now. The local NEC
     pays about $175.00 in echo calls. (The PC Pursuit folk would
     figure flat rate of $25.00). Now, add the $19.33 to the 175.00,
     we get $194.33. The NEC feeds 20 nodes. Each nodes share breaks
     down to $9.72.

       Remember: the above takes into account each system doing the
     polling to the feed above him.

       $9.72 is cheap any way you look at it to get echomail.
     Everyone's bill gets covered. It also assures that systems stay
     around. Experience teaches us that those that offer the "free
     lunch" in echomail tend to not be around for a long time.
     Co-operation and assistance makes things work.

     I welcome comments on this. I do not want to clog up any echo
     conference it, though. If you'd like to send comments, my address
     is 100/617. Even other sides of the issue. All netmail answered.

     Glen Jackson
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 2                    9 Jan 1989

     REC Region 14
     1/214
     100/617 Home of the New RIXS BBS

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 3                    9 Jan 1989

     Hints on Writing Style for Usenet (or FidoNet)

     Newsgroups:  news.announce.newusers
     Subject:  Hints  on  writing style for Usenet (or FidoNet)
     (Updated: 10 October 1988)

     change: 10 October 1988 by lmg@hoqaz.att.com (Larry Geary)]

     I would like  to take a moment  to share some of  my knowledge of
     writing style. If you read  the suggestions below, remember: it's
     easy to agree that they make  sense but it's much harder to apply
     them.

     of Work" Strunk & White, "Elements of Style"

     The above  references are both  excellent books. Cunningham  is a
     standard in  tech writing classes and  won an award for  the best
     tech writing book from the  Association for Teaching of Technical
     Writing.  I was  lucky enough  to  take a  class from  him as  an
     undergraduate.  Strunk  is  a  standard  in  college  composition
     classes. Other ideas here come from  my own experience on the net
     and hints from other people.

     This is  a "long  article." The rest  of it is  simply a  list of
     pointers.

                    Writing style:

      * Write *below*  the readers' reading level. The  avg. person in
      the US reads  at a 5th grade  level (11 years of  age). The avg.
      professional reads  at about the  12th grade level (18  years of
      age).

      * Keep  paragraphs short and  sweet. Keep sentences  shorter and
      sweeter. This means "concise," not cryptic.

      *  White  space is  not  wasted  space  -- it  greatly  improves
      clarity. A blank line only adds a byte to the article length, so
      don't be stingy if it will help make your meaning clearer.

      *  Pick your  words to  have  only *one*  meaning. Vagueness  is
      considered  artistic  by  literary  critics. We  are  not  being
      literary here.

      * People can  only grasp about seven things at  once. This means
      ideas in a paragraph, major sections, etc..

      * Avoid abbreviations and acronyms,  if possible, and define the
      ones you use.

      * There are  several variations on any one  sentence. A passive,
      questioning or negative sentence takes longer to read.

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 4                    9 Jan 1989

                    Net style:

      * Subtlety is not communicated well in written form - especially
      over a computer.

      * The above applies to humor as well. (rec.humor, of course, not
      included.)

      * When being especially "flame-boyant",  I find it helpful to go
      to the  bathroom before actually  sending. Then, I  often change
      the tone considerably. :-) Take a break before posting something
      in anger or that might hurt or anger others.

      * Subject  lines should  be used very  carefully. How  much time
      have you wasted reading articles with a misleading subject line?
      The  "Subject:" header  line can  be edited  in all  the various
      posting programs (as can  the "Distribution:", "Newsgroups:" and
      "Followup-To:" header lines).

      * References need to be made. When you answer mail, you have the
      original message fresh in your mind. When I receive your answer,
      I don't.

      * It's *much*  easier to read a mixture of  upper and lower case
      letters.

      *  Leaving out  articles (such  as "the,"  "a," "an,"  etc.) for
      "brevity" mangles the meaning of your sentences and takes longer
      to read. It saves you time at the expense of your reader.

      * Be  careful of contextual  meanings of words. For  instance, I
      used "articles"  just now. In the  context of netnews, it  has a
      different meaning than I intended.

      * Make an effort to  spell words correctly. Obvious misspellings
      are jarring and distract the  reader. Every news posting program
      allows you to edit your article before posting, and most systems
      have some kind  of spelling checker program that you  can use on
      your article.

      * Remember - this is an international network.

      * Remember - your future employers may be reading your articles.

     'Nuff said.

     These  suggestions  are all  easily  supported  by arguments  and
     research. There's  a lot  more to say,  but....
     --
     Gene Spafford
     NSF/Purdue/U of Florida Software Engineering Research Center,

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 5                    9 Jan 1989

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 6                    9 Jan 1989

     Ray Kaliss
     The SDN Project
     SYSOP/CONN! 141/840

       I  would like  to  tell all  the reader  of  Fido news,  about
     somthing  new that  is happening.   It is  called the  Shareware
     Distribution Network.   It's real  name is  SDNet/Works! and  we
     call it... SDN.

       Probably  the  best way  is  for  you  to  read my  New  Years
     mesessage to the sysops already  participating in SDN.  Although
     it  won't give  you the  whole story,  perhaps it  is enough  to
     invite sysops and  shareware authors reading Fido  news, to find
     out more.

            (New Years Message from The SDN Project SYSOP/CONN!)

       I'd  like  to  take  this time  (oh,  grief  ...it  sounds  so
     professional <grin>)  to thank you all  again for joining  us in
     SDN.  You, the first sysops in, are very important to the future
     of the SDN concept.

       We should see ourselves as involved in something new, exciting
     and sure to work  in time.  I tried to get  something going like
     this two years ago, but it fell apart.  Timing was not right and
     we were guessing  at how to do  it.  A few months  ago, I passed
     the concept by Charlie, he was doing such a great job organizing
     the 800 Club and  had his little busy nose into  every other net
     activity.  Charlie turned  out to be the best  person to present
     it  to.  Now  that we  have the  start  and semblance  of a  net
     function, here  is my  "State Of  The Union",  address.  So  you
     guys, the first in, know what's going on.

     We are set out to accomplish two things.
      > Remove the threats of virus, trojans and and hacked programs.
      > Bring a little organization to the distribution of Shareware
        programs.
     We see this really, as a benefit to all.  Sysops, users and
     shareware authors.

       Shareware has matured in quality  and quantity.  It is really,
     a low cost  alternative to high priced  commercial software.  In
     many cases  I actually think  it fits  the needs of  the average
     user  better than  $600  software  designed to  accommodate  the
     complexities  of large  corporations.   This  may sound  like  a
     "goodie two-shoes"  stance, but  the high  corporate pricing  of
     application software  and the desire of  the average user  to do
     things  with  his computer,  is  the  cause  of what  some  call
     "pirating".  Shareware brings applications into the reach of the
     amateur, hobbyist...  home computer nut.

       We as  sysops, all know  that getting good  shareware programs
     for our users and ourselves is a  bit like throwing a small net,
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 7                    9 Jan 1989

     into a large lake, and sifting through the catch.  The method of
     distribution that we call "user osmosis" (users downloading from
     one  BBS and  uploading  to another)  will  always  be apart  of
     BBSing...  but in  comparison to the needs of  the present state
     of growth of amateur computer communications, it is lacking.

       I don't think any one of us  could venture a guess on how many
     good  shareware  programs  are out  there,  how  many  shareware
     authors.  With new ones popping in  and old ones fading away all
     the time.  My  guess (now that I'm talking  directly to authors)
     is there  are 200 - 400  authors spread around out  there.  I've
     been told  in a message to  SDN by the Association  of Shareware
     Authors, that the ASP is 100+ members  and growing by about 10 a
     months.   That  is  at  least   100+  programs  by  professional
     programers, our users and ourselves, should have to pick from.

       The  answer to  doing this,  is a  benefit  to us  and to  the
     shareware authors.  It is having meeting points, focal points so
     that users and other sysops know where these distribution points
     are...  and get authors to use  them.  An increase in the number
     of  people  who  have  access to  the  varieties  of  up-to-date
     shareware programs,  can only  do users  and authors  good.  The
     place for this  type of "clearing house", is  on-line.  It calls
     for  a managed  distribution  effort by  sysops.   Once all  the
     shareware programs we  can get - come down through  SDN, the SDN
     File area will  be like browsing through a book  store where all
     the  books  are safe,  up  to  date  and complete.   An  on-line
     shareware outlet.

       This  means not  only getting  sysops interested  in SDN,  but
     authors too.   Some authors have  their stomping grounds  in the
     big on-line services.  Some of them may not realize that amateur
     BBSing and communications has grown to  over 4000 BBS' with some
     kind  of  net affiliations  and  probably  a few  thousand  more
     independents.

       The other  side of SDN  is it is  time to have  some assurance
     that the  programs we recieve to  our systems, users  or sysops,
     are not trojans, not virus, not two versions old, not repackaged
     by some careless  user who left out doc's and  glitched the .com
     program.   For hobbist  and amateur  computing  to continue  its
     growth  and maturity,  we need  at  least one  safe conduit  for
     programs.  SDN  proposes just that  in its direct  connection to
     authors and sysops.

       In this regard  we are changing the way  distribution is done.
     Not for everything, but for one  valuable conduit.  We are going
     against the tide, and that takes time.

       Some  of   you  may   know,  The   Association  of   Shareware
     Professionals   read  an   ABOUTSDN.DOC  that   was  placed   on
     Comp-U-Serve,  and got  in touch  with  us weeks  ago.  We  have
     caused quite a bit of excitement.  It seems so much so with what
     they  see as  the potential  of  SDN, that  myself, Charlie  and
     Richard  Zorovich  have been  extended  a  first. We  have  been
     invited into the  on-line private conference area of  the ASP on
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 8                    9 Jan 1989

     Comp-U-Serve to discuss SDN and the concept with them.

       It has  been projected  to me  by some,  that because  of it's
     cross-Net nature, SDN  might become an eventual  unifying bridge
     to  all the  independent  Nets, a  kind  of  common ground  from
     which....  (Well...  maybe?)

       Really, the  SDN activity,  is just  another activity  on your
     boards.  It  should not  require much  time or  maintenance.  It
     does require  a few strict guidelines  for it to  accomplish its
     purpose, but these are few and simple.

       The SDN files you receive, will  be small in quantity at first
     but will begin to build up.  You probably will want to keep them
     all in that area rather than to shuffle them about.  The purpose
     of the  SDN file  area is  to say  to all  "this area  is clean,
     complete and up-to-date".

       You should all have a "pro-register" attitude toward shareware
     to your users.   All this means is that your  attitude should be
     one of "encouraging"  registration when dealing with  users over
     shareware.  We do not ask you to beat people or embarrass people
     or to make them go through any on-line "shareware training test"
     or anything  like that.  As members  of the hobby  community, an
     encouraging attitude is all that is proper for us.

       Official SDN  policy comes from  only one place  - SYSOP/CONN!
     BBS, the  home of the  SDN Project and  the holder of  all legal
     rights.  Until "recommendation committees" are eventually set up
     to deal with growth, policy is  short and simple but designed to
     protect myself and you from  legal liabilities or problems.  Any
     other policy  only has to do  with the bare mechanics  that make
     SDN function for its two goals.

     and with that...

     Happy New Year to everyone!

     *ray
         .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

      Sysops  interested  in  becoming  Distribution  Ponits  should
     contact 141/880 to  find out who your  SDN Regional Coordinator
     is.

      Shareware authors wishing to use SDN  for distribution  should
     contact 141/840

      SDNet/Works! is not an affiliation, but a cooperation.

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 9                    9 Jan 1989

     well we  will hear  more prior to  February 1 (this year) and  if
     that schedule is maintained we'll work at having full implementa-
     tion by March 1 (also this year).

     We have received  a rumor that  one of the  *C team was  having a
     real problem spending any time at his computer due to an  injury.
     Word has it that members of the net he is active in got  together
     and  purchased a portable computer and modem for him to allow him
     to be more active.   Until otherwise confirmed we'll continue  to
     treat this as a rumor.   The *C structure, according to some,  is
     to be avoided and ignored as much as possible as they have to  be
     up to something detrimental to  us all, so we know  this couldn't
     have really happened.  But it is nice to think there is some good
     news out there.  If you know of more good news, of people helping
     people, please share it with your RC so everyone knows.  Not only
     can we enjoy the good news but it might give others ideas.

     There  was  some  minor  confusion  over the announcement in last
     weeks column on `private' mail.  There was never anything said in
     that column  about setting  the `private'  bit in  a message, and
     that wasn't even considered in any of the messages we had read in
     any of  the echo  conferences.   Surely there  must be  a way  to
     declare a message `private' without having to set a bit.  Perhaps
     setting a bit  gives our software  something to react  to and the
     `private' bit  can help  our software  determine how  to handle a
     message.  No  one wants to  change that.   But we also  know that
     computers aren't  always guilty  of broadcasting  a message  sent
     with the intentions of it  being kept confidential.  At  least we
     haven't noticed a computer capable of such actions without  human
     intervention.  If we are going to try to come up with a technical
     answer to a human problem we might consider a `confidential'  bit
     to go  with the  `private' bit.   And  you are  correct, that  is
     ludicrous!  Why won't a  simple request within a message  to keep
     its  contents  confidential  be  effective?    The answer to that
     question is also simple.

     ("RegComm" will be a weekly column in FidoNews and your  comments
     are  welcome.  Please  address  your  concerns  and  comments via
     NetMail to your Net  or Regional Coordinator, you  should receive
     an answer within a few days.  It's your net and we are in need of
     your input in order for us to fairly represent you.)

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 10                   9 Jan 1989

                    ROGEL'S CORNER:  TREE86 2.0 --
                  MAKING A GREAT PRODUCT EVEN BETTER

     Copyright @  1988, by  Todd S. Rogel.  [Permission is granted
     to copy this article  for noncommercial  purposes only.   Any
     other reproduction  or use is strictly prohibited without the
     express written permission of the author, Todd S. Rogel]

     There is  something  very  satisfying  about  watching  a new
     computer  product  compete  with  the "big boys" and emerge a
     winner.  For computer users, this  means that  development in
     the computer  industry will  not stagnate  and that the users
     will be the beneficiaries of such change and innovation. On a
     grander scale  of things,  it reconfirms  that David can beat
     Goliath and that real life stories can have happy endings.

     Forgive my philosophical excursion  in this  computer column.
     I have  just reviewed  The Aldridge Company's latest release,
     Tree86 2.0, though, and am awed  by their  achievement:  they
     and their program are winners!

     I  previously  reviewed  the  earlier  versions of Tree86 and
     found both versions to be great [2/88 and 3/88 issues of PC/2
     Newsletter;  posted  on  the  TIBMUG section of Micro Message
     Service (919) 779-6674].  Version2.0 is even better!

     Before discussing the new  features,  let  me  give  you some
     background,  so  you  will  better understand my perspective.

     Last October I was  leafing through  PC Magazine  when I came
     across an  advertisement for Tree86 1.0.  The ad implied that
     Tree86 offered newer  and  more  powerful  features  than its
     chief competitor, Xtree 2.0.

     Well, I  was a fan of Xtree 2.0 and suspected that the Tree86
     ad was wholly exaggerated as  well  as  presumptuous.   After
     all,  I  had  previously  evaluated  several  competitors  of
     Xtree86 -- some of which cost  far  more  than  Xtree  -- and
     felt that,  for various  reasons, none came close to stacking
     up to Xtree.  Why should Tree86 be any different?

     Tree86 was being offered at an  introductory price  under $30
     and The Aldridge Company assured me that I could return their
     product within 30-days if dissatisfied  for  any  reason.   I
     decided to  give Tree86 a test-drive, confirm my doubts about
     this Pretender, and send  its beaten  and battered  shell (no
     pun intended) back to its maker.

     Boy, was I wrong!

     The previous  Tree86 versions  offered all that was available
     on Xtree  and  then  several  additional  practical features,
     including: TreeDOS,  Tree86's DOS-like  environment, with DOS
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 11                   9 Jan 1989

     command recall;  a file  finder, which  will locate duplicate
     files  or  do  wild-card  file  searches in a flash; easy and
     quick switching between applications and Tree86; hot key disk
     navigation;  and  Xcopy,  which  permits copying of a file as
     well as its subdirectory structure.  Well, the new version is
     even better.

     I have  become a believer in The Aldridge Company and Tree86.
     When you see some of the new features offered in version 2.0,
     I  think  you  will  become  a  believer  as well.  Here is a
     sampling of the new goodies.

          1.   INSTANT  LOGGING:    This  "no  wait"   feature  is
               sensational!   Shell-type  programs ordinarily must
               read your drive every  time  you  access  the shell
               (i.e.,  going  from  an  application to the shell).
               This is an unacceptably time consuming process.

               I never operated my computer through  Xtree because
               it reads the disk whenever it is accessed.  Instead
               I only used Xtree for occasional  serious hard disk
               housecleaning.

               The  prior  Tree86  versions were faster than Xtree
               since they read the  disk only  when first executed
               and also whenever I switched drives.  To avoid disk
               reads when I switched drives with Tree86, I instead
               accessed  other  drives  through  TreeDOS (Tree86's
               DOS-like environment).    Obviously  this relogging
               problem somewhat limited Tree86's utility.

               Tree86  version  2.0  now  has  an  instant logging
               option.  You may easily select from 1  to 26 drives
               for this  instant access option.  Whenever you exit
               Tree86 a drive  data  file  is  updated.    You are
               immediately presented  with a  current tree display
               the next  time you  run Tree86.   I  can now switch
               drives through Tree86 without any wait whatsoever.

          2.   FILE  VIEW:    Version  1.0  offered a lame viewing
               utility. Version  1.1  thoughtfully  allowed  me to
               substitute my  own viewing  utility.  Version 2.0's
               viewing program is wonderful.   I  have scrapped my
               public-domain program  in favor of this beauty.  As
               you can  see below,  Tree86's viewing  utility is a
               full-featured   program   which  permits  line/page
               scrolling,  text   search,   and   mark/print  text

                 TREE86  =  VIEW A FILE KEY REFERENCE
     [Illustration  omitted  because  of  conflict  with FidoNews'
     formatting requirements;  For  those who  are interested, the
     original Rogel's  Corner, with the illustration included, may
     be   reviewed   on   or   downloaded   from   MMS   [151/102]
     919-779-6674.    Look  at  the August, 1988 Issue of TIBMUG's
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 12                   9 Jan 1989

     Newsletter, PC/2, which is located in the TIBMUG  area of the
     Special Interest Groups section of MMS]

          3.   HELP:  Tree86 now offers context-sensitive help.

          4.   COPY AND MOVE: [A]  Files may be copied or moved by
               the point-and-shoot method.  No more typing in full
               paths.   [B]  Automatic overwriting of files is now
               available as an option.

          5.   EXPANDED  MEMORY  SUPPORT:     Tree86  version  2.0
               automatically uses  expanded memory  (LIM v.3+), if
               present.  For some  reason,  Tree86  shows  that my
               system  contains  "Extended:-31,457,280";  alas, my
               8088 system contains neither  expanded nor extended
               memory and  I am  puzzled as  to why this obviously
               incorrect information is shown by Tree86.

          6.   MULTIPLE DRIVES: You can read as many as  26 drives
               simultaneously.

          7.   ADJUSTABLE MEMORY USAGE:  Tree86 version 2.0 offers
               3 "memory models" for  buffers to  hold information
               about logged drives:

              (a)   Small:    4,096 bytes reserved.  Capacity:  82
                              subdirectories  (on  largest drive);
                              26 simultaneous drives.

              (b)   Medium:   8,192  bytes  reserved.    Capacity:
                              166   subdirectories   (on   largest
                              drive).  15 simultaneous drives.

              (c)   Large:    12,288   bytes  reserved.  Capacity:
                              254   subdirectories   (on   largest
                              drive); 10  simultaneous drives.

           8.  SORT:   A "reverse"  order option  is now available
               for  sorting  files  by name, extension, size, date
               and time, time, path, or attribute.

          9.   ALTER ATTRIBUTES:  There are now  three methods for
               changing    file    attributes   (i.e.,   [h]idden,
               [r]ead/only, [s]ystem, and  [a]rchive)  by  using a
               simple device called an "attribute mask":

          10.  EDITOR:    An  easier  method  has  been  added for
               integrating your favorite  word  processing program
               with Tree86.   Then  you can  load both your editor
               and the file you wish to  edit, by  pointing to the
               subject file and pressing [E]ditor.

          11.  QUIT:  Now you can quit Tree86 from TreeDOS as well
               as from Tree86.   This  is  a  nice  little feature
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 13                   9 Jan 1989

               since  when  you  quit  from TreeDOS, you end up at
               the subdirectory shown at the TreeDOS prompt.

          12.  FILE TAGGING:  Even this has  been made  easier, so
               that when you tag a file by pressing the space bar,
               the cursor automatically  moves  down  to  the next
               file.

     Tree86   offers   something   for  everyone.    For  computer
     neophytes, Tree86 virtually eliminates the DOS  barrier.  For
     those who  know and  love DOS  (or, at  least, know DOS), you
     have a  multi-purpose, extremely  practical, and  easy to use
     power tool  at your  complete command  -- and  you get all of
     this without your typical tradeoffs of speed, access  to DOS,
     costs, etc..

     Sure, there  is room  for improvement  (isn't there always?).
     It would be nice  to be  able to  load TSR's  from Tree86; it
     would be  even nicer  to be able to manage TSR's from Tree86,
     so that you  could  swap  memory-resident  programs  back and
     forth  when  necessary.    Fortunately  The  Aldridge Company
     always seems to stay several steps ahead of the market.  They
     have  an  excellent  product  and  are  continually trying to
     improve upon it.   Indeed, they  already are  working on TSRs
     for an upcoming edition.

     Tree86 is  an unqualified winner.  With its useful assortment
     of features, its integration with my word processing program,
     its "no  wait" accessibility,  and its powerful view program,
     Tree86 has become my computer's first-team quarterback.

                            Rogel's Wrap-Up
     +===========================================================+
     |    Product:  Tree86 v. 2.0 by The Aldridge Company        |
     |    Price:    Lists for $89.95                             |
     |    Product description:                                   |
     |         Graphic Disk Navigation and Management Program    |
     |    System Requirements:                                   |
     |         IBM version reviewed; MacIntosh version available |
     |    Comments:                                              |
     |         Excellent easy-to-use program; integrates with    |
     |         your favorite word processor; superb view/text    |
     |         retrieval utility; instant no-disk-read access;   |
     |         capacity to read 26 drives simultaneously;        |
     |         adjustable memory.  Offers DOS-power without      |
     |         DOS-headaches                                     |
     |    For more information, contact:                         |
     |         The Aldridge Company, 2500 CityWest Boulevard,    |
     |         Suite 575, Houston, Texas 77042 713-953-1940      |
     +===========================================================+

     Sincerely,

     Todd S. Rogel
     Raleigh, North Carolina
     July 28, 1988
     FidoNews 6-02                Page 14                   9 Jan 1989

     Home      (919)     851-2103
     MMS       (919)     779-6674 [151/102]
     NCC       (919)     851-8460 [151/100]

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 15                   9 Jan 1989

                                    YACK
                      Yet Another Complicated Komment

                            by Steven K. Hoskin
                        ( STEVE HOSKIN at 1:128/31 )

                     Episode 21:  Letter to the Editor

     This is the sort of  subject  that  Dale,  our  honorable Editor,
     should probably  be  addressing,  but,  what  the  heck, I have a
     column to fill.

     There seem to be at least  a  few  people who objected to some of
     the content of one of the  articles  that was published in one of
     the issues of FidoNews (generic  enough  for you?).  Now how, you
     ask, do I know this?  Well, I read the IFNA EchoMail conference.

     Now, at first glance,  that  doesn't  seem  to  be an appropriate
     answer; after some thought, it does, and then after some more, it
     doesn't again.  Let me explain.

     FidoNews -- you  got  a  problem  with  it?    Write  the editor!
     Posting in IFNA doesn't immediately  appear to be the appropriate
     channel.

     IFNA -- it runs, perhaps even  "owns" -- FidoNews.  Says right on
     the cover that

          FidoNews  is  published    weekly    by   the  International
          FidoNet Association  as  its  official newsletter.

     Therefore,  reading  about  problems  with  FidoNews  in the IFNA
     EchoMail conference  seems,  after  some  thought,  to be an okay
     thing.

     Dale Lovell -- the Editor of FidoNews doesn't read the IFNA Echo.
     Seems fair to say  that  posting  your  complaints about FidoNews
     there isn't wise -- the only way Dale is going to hear your bitch
     is if somebody else relays  it  to  him.   Now what is any normal
     person going to think  of  someone  who  can't  come out and talk
     directly about their problems?  Once again, posting complaints in
     IFNA seems to be fruitless.

     If you want something done about it, that is.

     So if you've got  a  problem  with  something  that  comes out in
     FidoNews; distasteful  language,  non-FidoNet  subject  material,
     whatever - write  a  "Letter  to  the  Editor".   Maybe it'll get
     published.  And maybe you'll actually change something.

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 16                   9 Jan 1989

                                  NOTICES

                          The Interrupt Stack

        Voyager 2 passes Neptune.

        20th Anniversary of "Monty Python's Flying Circus"

     If you have something which you would like to see on this
     calendar, please send a message to FidoNet node 1:1/1.

                          Latest Software Versions

                           Bulletin Board Software
     Name        Version    Name        Version    Name       Version

     Fido            12i    Opus          1.03b    TBBS           2.1*
     QuickBBS       2.03    TPBoard         4.2    TComm/TCommNet 3.2
     Lynx           1.10    Phoenix         1.3    RBBS         1.71C

     Network                Node List              Other
     Mailers     Version    Utilities   Version    Utilities  Version

     Dutchie       2.90b    EditNL         4.00    ARC           5.32
     SEAdog         4.10    MakeNL         2.12    ARCmail        1.1
     BinkleyTerm    2.00    Prune          1.40    ConfMail      4.00
     D'Bridge       1.10    XlatList       2.86    TPB Editor    1.21
     FrontDoor       2.0    XlaxNode       2.31*   TCOMMail       2.0*
     PRENM          1.40    XlaxDiff       2.31*   TMail         8812*
                            ParseList      1.30*   UFGATE        1.02*
                                                   GROUP         2.04*
                                                   EMM           1.40
                                                   MSGED         1.96

     * Recently changed

     Utility authors:  Please help  keep  this  list  up  to  date  by
     reporting  new  versions  to 1:1/1.  It is not our intent to list
     all utilities here, only those which verge on necessity.

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 17                   9 Jan 1989

                             COMMITTEE REPORTS

     Bylaws and Rules Committee
     1:107/210

            Reminder: IFNA Bylaws Ballot due back by Jan. 16!

     This is just a reminder for those of you who have not yet
     returned your ballots to do so now!  They must be in the hands of
     the CPA by the 16th of January.

     And, wexpex}u fill out your ballot, remember: there are some
     complicated or subtle nuances in quite a few of the amendments
     and some of them are contradictory.  This is by no means a
     "rubber stamp" situation, so check each item carefully to decide
     whether it's support or defeat is best for IFNA and FidoNet.

     If you have questions, direct then to the committee.  We'll do
     our best to present and explain both sides of any issue.

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 18                   9 Jan 1989

            OFFICERS OF THE INTERNATIONAL FIDONET ASSOCIATION

     Hal DuPrie     1:101/106  Chairman of the Board
     Bob Rudolph    1:261/628  President
     Matt Whelan    3:3/1      Vice President
     Ray Gwinn      1:109/639  Vice President - Technical Coordinator
     David Garrett  1:103/501  Secretary
     Steve Bonine   1:115/777  Treasurer

                         IFNA BOARD OF DIRECTORS

         DIVISION                               AT-LARGE

     10  Courtney Harris   1:102/732?    Don Daniels     1:107/210
     11  Bill Allbritten   1:11/301      Hal DuPrie      1:101/106
     12  Bill Bolton       3:711/403     Mark Grennan    1:147/1
     13  Rick Siegel       1:107/27      Steve Bonine    1:115/777
     14  Ken Kaplan        1:100/22      Ted Polczyinski 1:154/5
     15  Larry Kayser      1:104/739?    Matt Whelan     3:3/1
     16  Ivan Schaffel     1:141/390     Robert Rudolph  1:261/628
     17  Rob Barker        1:138/34      Steve Jordan    1:102/2871
     18  Christopher Baker 1:135/14      Bob Swift       1:140/24
     19  David Drexler     1:19/1        Larry Wall      1:15/18
      2  Henk Wevers       2:500/1       David Melnik    1:107/233

     FidoNews 6-02                Page 19                   9 Jan 1989

                                      __
                 The World's First   /  \
                    BBS Network     /|oo \
                    * FidoNet *    (_|  /_)
                                    _`@/_ \    _
                                   |     | \   \\
                                   | (*) |  \   ))
                      ______       |__U__| /  \//
                     / Fido \       _//|| _\   /
                    (________)     (_/(_|(____/ (tm)

            Membership for the International FidoNet Association

     Membership in IFNA is open to any individual or organization that
     pays  a  specified  annual   membership  fee.   IFNA  serves  the
     international  FidoNet-compatible  electronic  mail  community to
     increase worldwide communications.

     Member Name _______________________________  Date _______________
     Address _________________________________________________________
     City ____________________________________________________________
     State ________________________________  Zip _____________________
     Country _________________________________________________________
     Home Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________
     Work Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________

     Zone:Net/Node Number ____________________________________________
     BBS Name ________________________________________________________
     BBS Phone Number ________________________________________________
     Baud Rates Supported ____________________________________________
     Board Restrictions ______________________________________________

     Your Special Interests __________________________________________
     In what areas would you be willing to help in FidoNet? __________
     Send this membership form and a check or money order for $25 in
     US Funds to:
                   International FidoNet Association
                   PO Box 41143
                   St Louis, Missouri 63141
                   USA

     Thank you for your membership!  Your participation will help to
     insure the future of FidoNet.

     Please NOTE that IFNA is a general not-for-profit organization
     and Articles of Association and By-Laws were adopted by the
     membership in January 1987.  The second elected Board of Directors
     was filled in August 1988.  The IFNA Echomail Conference has been
     established on FidoNet to assist the Board.  We welcome your
     input to this Conference.

 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108