[comp.org.fidonet] FidoNET Newsletter, Volume 6, # 5

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/01/89)

     Volume 6, Number  5                               30 January 1989
     |                                                  _            |
     |                                                 /  \          |
     |                                                /|oo \         |
     |        - FidoNews -                           (_|  /_)        |
     |                                                _`@/_ \    _   |
     |        International                          |     | \   \\  |
     |     FidoNet Association                       | (*) |  \   )) |
     |         Newsletter               ______       |__U__| /  \//  |
     |                                 / FIDO \       _//|| _\   /   |
     |                                (________)     (_/(_|(____/    |
     |                                                     (jm)      |
     Editor in Chief                                       Dale Lovell
     Editor Emeritus:                                   Thom Henderson
     Chief Procrastinator Emeritus:                       Tom Jennings
     Contributing Editors:                                   Al Arango

     FidoNews  is  published  weekly  by  the  International   FidoNet
     Association  as  its  official newsletter.  You are encouraged to
     submit articles for publication in FidoNews.  Article  submission
     standards  are contained in the file ARTSPEC.DOC,  available from
     node 1:1/1.  1:1/1 is available  for network  mail between  NMH-1
     hour to NMH+1 hour.  At all other times,  netmail is not accepted
     although submissions can be uploaded.

     Copyright 1989 by  the  International  FidoNet  Association.  All
     rights  reserved.  Duplication  and/or distribution permitted for
     noncommercial purposes only.  For  use  in  other  circumstances,
     please contact IFNA at (314) 576-4067. IFNA may also be contacted
     at PO Box 41143, St. Louis, MO 63141.

     Fido  and FidoNet  are registered  trademarks of  Tom Jennings of
     Fido Software,  164 Shipley Avenue,  San Francisco, CA  94107 and
     are used with permission.

     The  contents  of  the  articles  contained  here  are  not   our
     responsibility,   nor   do   we   necessarily  agree  with  them.
     Everything here is  subject  to  debate.  We  publish  EVERYTHING
     received.

                        Table of Contents
     1. IMPORTANT NEWS FLASHES  ...................................  1
        New version of MakeNews  ..................................  1
     2. ARTICLES  .................................................  4
        A Primer on How to Work With the Usenet (or FidoNet) Co  ..  4
        Judy Getts, Phil Katz, and PC World  ...................... 10
        2 cents on Fidonews  ...................................... 12
        VETNet is ALIVE!!!!!  ..................................... 15
     3. COLUMNS  .................................................. 22
        The Old Frog's Almanac - Topical Extraction System (I)  ... 22
     4. LATEST VERSIONS  .......................................... 26
        Product Announcement -- SEAdog 4.50  ...................... 26
     And more!
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 1                   30 Jan 1989

                          IMPORTANT NEWS FLASHES

                          New version of MakeNews

     Starting with  this issue,  FidoNews is  being generated by a new
     version of MakeNews from  System Enhancement  Associates. Version
     3.00  lets  me  set  up  (and  remove)  sections from FidoNews by
     editing a control file as opposed  to  editing  a  C  program and
     recompiling  it  (never  did  have the right compiler).Because of
     this, several new sections are being added to FidoNews.

     First off is  the  Important  News  Flashes.  Something important
     happen? Something  important about to happen? Any major bugs been
     found and/or fixed  (the  problem  with  QuickBBS  echomail being
     dated 1988  comes to  mind, although it has been fixed). Also any
     major changes in net policy will all be appearing up top.

     Following the INFs will come the existing sections for words from
     your Editor (Editorial), Articles, Columns, For Sale, and Wanted.
     A  Latest  Versions  section  comes next. If you develop software
     that's meant to be used within FidoNet, this section is  for you.
     In addition  to the  Latest Versions being listed here, it's also
     the place for you to put a 1 or 2 page notice on a new version
     you've just  released  (please,  no  Vaporware).  This submission
     would  contain  information  on  enhancements  and  bug fixes. It
     should also tell people where and how they can get an upgrade.

     Another new section is the Letter's to the  Editor. I  won't tell
     you where  it's appearing inside of FidoNews, you'll have to wait
     and find  out  for  yourself.  This  is  meant  for  some ongoing
     discussions  on  what  you  think  FidoNews should be, what we're
     doing right, and how you think it could be improved.

     I'd like to take a moment  and thank  Thom Henderson  and SEA for
     releasing this  improvement to  MakeNews. I  know I appreciate it
     greatly, and  so  will  anyone  out  there  who  is  currently or
     planning to generate a newsletter using MakeNews.

                         Current List of Sections
                                    and
                      Their matching File Extensions

            File         Section Name or
          Extension      Type of Submission
          ---------      -------------------------------
             ART         Article
             COL         Column or other Regularly Appearing Feature
             LET         Letters to the Editor
             NEW         Important News Flashes
             NOT         Notices
             SAL         For Sale - got something to sell
             VER         Latest Versions
             WAN         Wanted - looking for something/someone/etc.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 2                   30 Jan 1989

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 3                   30 Jan 1989

                          New Product Announcement

                                SEAdog 4.50

     System Enhancement Associates,  Inc.  is pleased to announce  the
     release  of  version  4.50  of the SEAdog electronic mail system.
     Version 4.50 adds many new features to the  SEAdog  mail  system.

     The  complete  SEAdog package is available for $99.95 from System
     Enhancement Assciates, Inc.  We can be reached by phone between 9
     AM and 5 PM Eastern time at (201) 473-5153, or by mail at:

                    System Enhancement Associates, Inc.
                       21 New Street, Wayne NJ  07470

     Anyone with an earlier version of SEAdog who wishes to upgrade to
     version 4.50 can do so by mailing us $50 plus your original  disk
     (the green one with our label on it).

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 4                   30 Jan 1989

                                 ARTICLES

     Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
     Subject:
       A Primer on How to Work With the Usenet (or FidoNet) Community

     change: 10 October 1988 by msb@sq.com (Mark Brader)]

        A Primer on  How to Work With  the USENET Community
            (98% of this applies to FidoNet as well)

                        Chuq Von Rospach

     *** You now have access to  Usenet, a big network of thousands of
     computers.  Other documents  or  your  system administrator  will
     provide detailed technical  documentation. This message describes
     the Usenet culture and customs that have developed over time. All
     new users should read this message  to find out how Usenet works.
     ***  ***  (Old  users  could  read  it,  too,  to  refresh  their
     memories.) ***

     USENET is  a large collection  of computers that share  data with
     each other. It is the people  on these computers that make USENET
     worth  the effort,  and  for USENET  to  function properly  those
     people must be able to interact in productive ways. This document
     is intended  as a  guide to using  the net in  ways that  will be
     pleasant and productive for everyone.

     This document  is not intended  to teach  you how to  use USENET.
     Instead,  it is  a guide  to using  it politely,  effectively and
     efficiently.  Communication   by  computer   is  new   to  almost
     everybody,  and there  are certain  aspects  that can  make it  a
     frustrating experience until you get  used to them. This document
     should help you avoid the worst traps.

     The easiest way to learn how to use USENET is to watch how others
     use it. Start reading the news  and try to figure out what people
     are  doing and  why.  After  a couple  of  weeks  you will  start
     understanding  why  certain  things  are  done  and  what  things
     shouldn't be  done. There are documents  available describing the
     technical details of how to use the software. These are different
     depending on which  programs you use to access the  news. You can
     get copies of these from your system administrator. If you do not
     know who that person is, they can be contacted on most systems by
     mailing to account "usenet".

      - Never Forget that the Person on the Other Side is Human

     Because your interaction  with the network is  through a computer
     it  is  easy  to  forget  that  there  are  people  "out  there."
     Situations arise where emotions  erupt into a verbal free-for-all
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 5                   30 Jan 1989

     that can lead to hurt feelings.

     Please remember that  people all over the world  are reading your
     words. Do not attack people if you cannot persuade them with your
     presentation of the facts. Screaming, cursing, and abusing others
     only serves to make people think  less of you and less willing to
     help you when you need it.

     If you are upset at something or someone, wait until you have had
     a chance to  calm down and think  about it. A cup of  coffee or a
     good night's sleep works wonders on your perspective. Hasty words
     create more problems than they solve.  Try not to say anything to
     others you  would not  say to them  in person in  a room  full of
     people.

      - Be Brief

     Never  say  in ten  words  what  you can  say  in  fewer. Say  it
     succinctly and it  will have a greater impact.  Remember that the
     longer you  make your  article, the fewer  people will  bother to
     read it.

      - Your Postings Reflect Upon You -- Be Proud of Them

     Most people on USENET will know you  only by what you say and how
     well you say it. They may  someday be your co-workers or friends.
     Take some time  to make sure each posting is  something that will
     not embarrass you  later. Minimize your spelling  errors and make
     sure that the article is easy  to read and understand. Writing is
     an art  and to do  it well requires  practice. Since much  of how
     people judge you  on the net is based on  your writing, such time
     is well spent.

      - Use Descriptive Titles

     The subject line of an article is there to enable a person with a
     limited amount  of time  to decide  whether or  not to  read your
     article. Tell people  what the article is about  before they read
     it. A  title like "Car  for Sale" to  rec.autos does not  help as
     much  as "66  MG Midget  for  sale: Beaverton  OR." Don't  expect
     people to read your article to  find out what it is about because
     many of them won't bother. Some  sites truncate the length of the
     subject line to 40 characters so  keep your subjects short and to
     the point.

      - Think About Your Audience

     When you post  an article, think about the people  you are trying
     to reach. Asking UNIX(*) questions on rec.autos will not reach as
     many of  the people  you want to  reach as if  you asked  them on
     comp.unix.questions  or comp.unix.wizards.  Try to  get the  most
     appropriate audience for your message, not the widest.

     It  is   considered  bad   form  to   post  both   to  misc.misc,
     soc.net-people, or misc.wanted and to some other newsgroup. If it
     belongs in that other newsgroup, it does not belong in misc.misc,
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 6                   30 Jan 1989

     soc.net-people, or misc.wanted.

     If  your message  is of  interest  to a  limited geographic  area
     (apartments, car sales, meetings, concerts, etc...), restrict the
     distribution of the  message to your local area.  Some areas have
     special newsgroups with geographical  limitations, and the recent
     versions of the news software allow you to limit the distribution
     of material sent to world-wide newsgroups. Check with your system
     administrator to see what newsgroups are available and how to use
     them.

     If you want to  try a test of something, do  not use a world-wide
     newsgroup! Messages  in misc.misc that  say "This is a  test" are
     likely to  cause large numbers  of caustic messages to  flow into
     your  mailbox.  There  are  newsgroups that  are  local  to  your
     computer or area  that should be used.  Your system administrator
     can tell you what they are.

     Be familiar  with the group you  are posting to before  you post!
     You shouldn't post  to groups you do not read,  or post to groups
     you've only  read a few articles  from -- you may  not be familar
     with  the  on-going conventions  and  themes  of the  group.  One
     normally  does not  join a  conversation by  just walking  up and
     talking. Instead, you  listen first and then join in  if you have
     something pertinent to contribute.

      - Be Careful with Humor and Sarcasm

     Without  the  voice inflections  and  body  language of  personal
     communications, it is  easy for a remark meant to  be funny to be
     misinterpreted. Subtle humor tends to  get lost, so take steps to
     make sure that people realize you are trying to be funny. The net
     has  developed a  symbol called  the smiley  face. It  looks like
     ":-)" and points  out sections of articles  with humorous intent.
     No matter  how broad the humor  or satire, it is  safer to remind
     people that you are being funny.

     But also be aware that  quite frequently satire is posted without
     any explicit  indications. If  an article outrages  you strongly,
     you should ask yourself if it just may have been unmarked satire.
     Several self-proclaimed connoisseurs refuse  to use smiley faces,
     so take heed or you may make a temporary fool of yourself.

      - Only Post a Message Once

     Avoid posting messages to more  than one newsgroup unless you are
     sure it is appropriate. If you do post to multiple newsgroups, do
     not  post to  each  group separately.  Instead,  specify all  the
     groups  on a  single copy  of the  message. This  reduces network
     overhead and lets people who subscribe  to more than one of those
     groups see  the message  once instead of  having to  wade through
     each copy.

      - Please Rotate Messages With Questionable Content

     Certain newsgroups (such as rec.humor) have messages in them that
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 7                   30 Jan 1989

     may be offensive to some people. To make sure that these messages
     are not read unless they are explicitly requested, these messages
     should be encrypted. The standard  encryption method is to rotate
     each letter by thirteen characters so that an "a" becomes an "n".
     This is  known on the  network as "rot13"  and when you  rotate a
     message the word  "rot13" should be in the  "Subject:" line. Most
     of the  software used to  read usenet  articles have some  way of
     encrypting and decrypting messages. Your system administrator can
     tell you  how the software on  your system works, or  you can use
     the Unix command "tr [a-z][A-Z] [n-z][a-m][N-Z][A-M]". (Note that
     some versions of  Unix don't require the [] in  the "tr" command.
     In  fact, some  systems will  get  upset if  you use  them in  an
     unquoted manner. The following should  work for everyone, but may
     be shortened on some systems:

             tr '[a-m][n-z][A-M][N-Z]' '[n-z][a-m][N-Z][A-M]'

     Don't forget the single quotes!)

      - Summarize What You are Following Up

     When you are following up someone's article, please summarize the
     parts of  the article  to which you  are responding.  This allows
     readers  to  appreciate  your  comments  rather  than  trying  to
     remember what the original article  said. It is also possible for
     your response to get to some sites before the original article.

     Summarization is  best done by including  appropriate quotes from
     the original article. Do not  include the entire article since it
     will irritate  the people who have  already seen it. Even  if you
     are responding  to the entire  article, summarize only  the major
     points you are discussing.

      - When Summarizing, Summarize!

     When  you request  information  from the  network,  it is  common
     courtesy to  report your findings  so that others can  benefit as
     well. The  best way of  doing this is  to take all  the responses
     that you  received and edit  them into  a single article  that is
     posted to the  places where you originally  posted your question.
     Take the  time to  strip headers, combine  duplicate information,
     and write a  short summary. Try to credit the  information to the
     people that sent it to you, where possible.

      - Use Mail, Don't Post a Follow-up

     One of the  biggest problems we have on the  network is that when
     someone asks a question, many  people send out identical answers.
     When this happens,  dozens of identical answers  pour through the
     net.  Mail  your answer  to  the  person  and suggest  that  they
     summarize to the network. This way the net will only see a single
     copy  of  the answers,  no  matter  how  many people  answer  the
     question.

     If you  post a  question, please  remind people  to send  you the
     answers by mail and offer to summarize them to the network.
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 8                   30 Jan 1989

      - Read All Follow-ups and Don't Repeat What Has Already
        Been Said

     Before you submit a follow-up to  a message, read the rest of the
     messages in the newsgroup to see whether someone has already said
     what you want to say. If someone has, don't repeat it.

      - Be Careful About Copyrights and Licenses

     Once something is  posted onto the network, it  is effectively in
     the public domain. When posting  material to the network, keep in
     mind that material that is  UNIX-related may be restricted by the
     license you or  your company signed with AT&T and  be careful not
     to  violate it.  You  should  also be  aware  that posting  movie
     reviews,  song  lyrics,  or   anything  else  published  under  a
     copyright could cause you, your company,  or the net itself to be
     held liable for damages, so  we highly recommend caution in using
     this material.

      - Cite Appropriate References

     If you are using facts to  support a cause, state where they came
     from. Don't take  someone else's ideas and use them  as your own.
     You don't  want someone  pretending that  your ideas  are theirs;
     show them the same respect.

      - Mark or Rotate Answers and Spoilers

     When you  post something  (like a movie  review that  discusses a
     detail  of the  plot)  which  might spoil  a  surprise for  other
     people, please mark your message with  a warning so that they can
     skip the message. Another alternative would be to use the "rot13"
     protocol  to   encrypt  the   message  so   it  cannot   be  read
     accidentally. When you  post a message with a spoiler  in it make
     sure the word "spoiler" is part of the "Subject:" line.

      - Spelling Flames Considered Harmful

     Every few months a plague  descends on USENET called the spelling
     flame. It starts out when someone posts an article correcting the
     spelling or grammar  in some article. The  immediate result seems
     to be for  everyone on the net  to turn into a  6th grade English
     teacher and  pick apart  each other's postings  for a  few weeks.
     This is not  productive and tends to cause people  who used to be
     friends to get angry with each other.

     It is important  to remember that we all make  mistakes, and that
     there  are many  users on  the net  who use  English as  a second
     language. If you feel that you must make a comment on the quality
     of a posting, please do so by mail, not on the network.

      - Don't Overdo Signatures

     Signatures are nice,  and many people can have  a signature added
     to their  postings automatically by  placing it in a  file called
     "$HOME/.signature".  Don't overdo  it.  Signatures  can tell  the
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 9                   30 Jan 1989

     world something about you, but  keep them short. A signature that
     is longer  than the  message itself  is considered  to be  in bad
     taste. The main  purpose of a signature is to  help people locate
     you, not to tell your  life story. Every signature should include
     at least your return address relative to a well known site on the
     network  and/or  a  proper  domain-format  address.  Your  system
     administrator can give this to  you. Some news posters attempt to
     enforce  a 4  line limit  on signature  files --  an amount  that
     should be  more than sufficient  to provide a return  address and
     attribution.

                   Summary of Things to Remember

            - Never forget that the person on the other side is human
            - Be brief
            - Your postings reflect upon you; be proud of them
            - Use descriptive titles
            - Think about your audience
            - Be careful with humor and sarcasm
            - Only post a message once
            - Please rotate material with questionable content
            - Summarize what you are following up
            - Use mail, don't post a follow-up
            - Read all follow-ups and don't repeat what has already
              been said
            - Be careful about copyrights and licenses
            - Cite appropriate references
            - When summarizing, summarize
            - Mark or rotate answers or spoilers
            - Spelling flames considered harmful
            - Don't overdo signatures

     (*)UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.

     -----------

           This document is in the public domain and may be reproduced
           or excerpted by anyone wishing to do so.

     --

     Gene Spafford
     NSF/Purdue/U of Florida Software Engineering Research Center,

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 10                  30 Jan 1989

     Judy Getts, Phil Katz, and PC World

     This message was received by every node in FIDOnet 107 recently:

     A recent article by Judy Getts, contributing editor,
     telecommunications, PC WORLD magazine, unfairly reporting on the
     events leading up to, and the terms of settlement regarding
     System Enhancements Associates' (SEA) lawsuit against Phil Katz
     (PKWARE), alledging copyright infringement of SEA's ARC archive
     utility software, and subsequent contempt of court and breach of
     settlement by Katz, has been regarded as biased, unethical,
     opinionated, and uncharacteristic of a professional journalist.

     Even those critical of SEA's actions in the lawsuit have
     fairly dubbed the article as "anti-SEA."

     It is now alledged that Getts is also a part-time employee of
     Phil Katz's PKWARE, and obtained an un-authorized copy of the
     sealed court document containing the settlement terms, typed  it
     into a file and uploaded it into several Bulletin Board Systems
     along with a copy of her own biased, editorial opinion  on the
     case and its settlement terms. That biased editorial opinion
     irresponsibly and unprofessionally advocated the boycott of SEA's
     software products.

     The underlying goal and objective of such editorial bias is now
     more readily apparent: advocate the boycott of SEA's software in
     promotion of a part-time employer's PKWARE to the  benefit of
     one's own personal gain.

     A truly professional journalist would have reported the facts,
     based on documented proceedings and interviews, and then let the
     reader formulate his/her own opinions and course of actions
     regarding the matter, as was excellently reported in Hal
     Nieburg's, December 1988, COMPUTER SHOPPER article on the
     lawsuit. (Page 536).

     Regardless of individual opinion's formulated regarding the SEA
     lawsuit, we the members of the BBS community, both Sysop's  and
     Patrons alike, must stand up for our rights to demand
     professional, unbiased, unopinionated, ethical, factual
     journalism regarding articles concerning BBS systems and BBS
     shareware, appearing in the paid periodicals to which we
     subscribe or purchase as single-issue, and will not tolerate  the
     likes of such bias as published by Getts in PC WORLD magazine.

     The abuse of one's position as a so-called 'journalist' on the
     staff of an international PC magazine, as well as utilization of
     public BBS systems, to blatently advocate the boycott of a
     vendor's product for the personal gain of oneself, while
     simultaneously holding a position on a competitor's payroll might
     well be ethically considered "conflict-of-interest".

     Conversely, we the Patrons and Sysops of the BBS community must
     unite and utilize the BBS facilities afforded us to exercise our
     right in protesting the public injustices inflicted by Getts and
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 11                  30 Jan 1989

     PC WORLD magazine on both the BBS and  Shareware communities by
     similarly advocating a boycott of PC WORLD magazine:

     (1) Cancel all currently paid subscriptions to PC WORLD magazine.

     (2) Refuse single-issue purchases of future editions of PC WORLD
     magazine.

     (3) As a BBS Sysop, remove all copies of Phil Katz's PKARC,
     PKXARC, PKPAK, PKUNPAK, etc., from the public download areas of
     your BBS system.

     (4) Post a notice in the logon bulletin of your BBS system:

      (a) Advising of the removal of Phil Katz's software
      from your system.

      (b) Expressing dis-satisfaction with the likes of
      Getts' article.

      (c) Advocating the cancellation of paid subscriptions to, and
      avoidance of future single-issue purchases of PC WORLD magazine.

     (3) Post a letter to David Bunnell, Editor-in-Chief, PC WORLD
     magazine, expressing your dis-satisfaction with the likes of
     Getts' unethical actions and article, and recommend her removal
     from PC WORLD magazine's editorial  staff:

     Mr. David Bunnell, Editor-in-Chief
      PC WORLD Magazine
      PCW Communications. Inc.
      501 Second Street
      San Francisco, California 94107

      CompuServe: 74055,412
      The Source: STE908
      MCI Mail: PCWORLD

      (A forwarded or transmitted copy of this notice should
     suffice to convey your message.)

     (4) Upload, or E-Mail a copy of this notice for posting on as
     many other public BBS systems as possible.

     (5) As a BBS Sysop, make a copy of this notice and accompanying
     rebuttal available to your Patrons for downloading.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 12                  30 Jan 1989

     James Zachary, 445/2

                      2 cents on Fidonews

     To those that would like to change Fidonews submission
     requirements;

                 (with the author's permission)
                        An excerpt from
                          CHOLO!
                    Copyright (c) 1988

     "Remember, for every soul you wish to silence,
     for whatever reason, there will be greater
     numbers of those who will wish a silence upon
     you.  However enlightened, sacred, benign or
     benevolent your views, they will affront those
     who will demand your censor.  Beware, for you
     must someday abide the terms of your own laws.
     Remember them then as you know them now."

     Kick back with a mug of cold, foamy, amber liquid and just
     think about that for a while.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 13                  30 Jan 1989

     Tim Pozar
     Fido 1:125/555

             Late Night Software is proud to announce UFGATE.

          UFGATE is a package that will move files, mail, and news-
     groups back and forth between UUCP/USENET and MS-DOS machines.
     The package will gate between UUCP/USENET and FidoNet or you can
     just run the package stand-alone, effectively being a leaf site
     in UUCP/USENET.

          UFGATE runs on IBM-PC/XT/AT or PS/2 machines or compatibles.
     UFGATE will also work with MS-DOS or PC-DOS machines that are not
     100 percent IBM-PC hardware compatible with an appropriate FOSSIL
     (a communications device driver).  This is needed for the UUCICO
     clone, GNUUCP (aka. UUSLAVE).

          The GNUUCP program has been brought up to a full implementa-
     tion of UUCICO with routines so it can run with the MS-DOS file
     structure.  You can initiate or receive UUCP connections and
     there is full support for l.sys files.  You can even use it with
     PC Pursuit.

          The package will handle the importing, exporting of UUCP
     messages, and also the automatic deletion of old USENET newsgroup
     messages.  UFGATE will also handle mail/newsgroups that have been
     either 12 or 16 bit compressed.

          UFGATE can handle either UUCP bang-style, ARPA/INTERNET
     domain style, or a hybrid of both.  It can also handle aliases
     for individuals or machine names.  Message forwarding is also
     built in.  UFGATE can handle multiple hosts.

          Message formatting, like the automatic appending of
     individual signature files, is supported.

          Detailed debugging is available, so setup is easier.

          UFGATE is free to non-commercial, non-supported users.  If
     you are interested in support, which includes updates for a year,
     the Late Night Software telephone support service, and a hard
     copy of the manual, a $35 fee is asked.  If you are a commercial
     site, you will automatically get the support described above, and
     the manual for $195.  Support is available to all users via the
     UFGATE echo on FidoNet.

          You can download the UFGATE package from the Late Night
     Software BBS at:
                          +1 415 695 0759.

          Currently we have a 9600b/s V-Series Hayes modem.  The time
     to transfer the file (UFGATE.ARC) at 9600b/s is 10 minutes, or at
     2400b/s, it would be about 40 minutes.

          We also accept floppies.  You can send either 360Kbyte or
     1.2Mbyte, five and a quarter inch floppies.  If you send 360Kbyte
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 14                  30 Jan 1989

     floppies, send four.  The package will fit completely on one
     1.2Mbyte floppy.  The floppies should be pre-formatted on your
     machine.

          Send the floppies in a standard floppy mailer with a return
     label, and return postage to:
             Late Night Software
             Tim Pozar
             671 28th Street
             San Francisco, CA 94131

          If you have further questions, you can write us at the above
     address, or call us at +1 415 695 7727, or write to the Email
     address below.

      FidoNet: 1:125/555
     Internet: lns@f555.n125.z1.fidonet.org
         UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!lns

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 15                  30 Jan 1989

                           VETNet is ALIVE!!!!!
     By:  Todd C. Looney
          Vietnam Veterans' Valhalla
          1:143/27  300/1200/2400 Bauds
          (408) 293-7894

          The sysops  of the  Vietnam Veterans Valhalla bulletin board
     are both  Vietnam combat  veterans; I  served during the war as a
     Medical Field  Surgeon in  the U.S. Navy attached to an Emergency
     Field Evac  Hospital and  later a  long-range recon team near Dac
     To, and  spent more than my fair share of time in a VC/NVA prison
     camp across  the border  in Laos,  and Nancy  my wife,  who is  a
     veteran of a different sort having fought HER war *years* after I
     returned to  the   United States,   battling   the    problems  I
     brought   back   from   that   little country tucked thousands of
     miles away  in Southeast  Asia.    Nancy and I have, for the most
     part, conquered  all of  the  problems  of  that  traumatic  past
     through years of hard work!
          Many   of the  men and  women who  returned  from  that  war
     continue   to carry it's memories and nightmares with them today.
     Although most  Vietnam veterans  live a  successful, happy  life,
     there are  those whose every day is a bitter struggle to survive,
     trying to  find some  way to either escape the horrible memories,
     or to  come to  terms with  themselves so they and their families
     can begin to live a normal life!!
          We feel  it is  our responsibility  as caring and empathetic
     individuals    to  share  ourselves  with  those  Vietnam  combat
     veterans of  both kinds;  the  ex-military  soldier-at-arms,  and
     their wives,  friends, and lovers, with the hope that somehow the
     knowledge    and    understanding    we  gained  from  the  years
     encompassing our own struggle might be of some help to those who
     are still fighting their war!!!

               THE VIETNAM VETERANS' VALHALLA BULLETIN BOARD
                     IS DEDICATED TO VIETNAM VETERANS,
                      THEIR WIVES, FRIENDS, & LOVERS!

     And to the memory of the 58,000 men and women who never came home

          Our system  has been  successfully operating  for  nearly  3
     years now,  and received well over 37,000 calls!  We also founded
     and   coordinated    the    International    Vietnam    Veterans'
     EchoConference (IVVEC)  which  can  be  seen  on  more  than  200
     bulletin boards  across the United States, Canada, and Australia.
     Please contact  our system,  or one of the nodes listed below who
     carry our conference and join in.  You don't need to be a veteran
     of any  kind to  participate.   We welcome  you with open arms to
     learn who we are and what we are all about!
          Nancy and  I are  looking forward to meeting you all, as are
     the Sysops of the nearly 200 VETNet BBs systems below:

                              VETNet NODELIST
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 16                  30 Jan 1989

                Compiled by the Vietnam Veterans In Canada

     As of  25 November  88 these are the net/nodes that are currently
     listed as  receiving the  International Vietnam Veterans Echo. If
     your local  BBS is  not listed,  please send  a message  to Woody
     Carmack 153/130  (1-604-462-8753)  or  leave  a  message  in  the
     IVVEC.

     NET/                                                     MAX
     NODE    BBS NAME          City/State/Country  Phone      BAUD

     632/350 Yarra Valley BBS Melbourne Austr AU 61-3-848-331 1200

     114/113 Corwin's Keep Tempe AZ 1-602-894-1470 2400

     114/13  Corwin's Keep Tempe AZ 1-602-894-1470 2400

     153/123 DAETECH Burnaby BC 1-604-420-2641 9600

     153/130 Vietnam Veterans In Canada Vancouver_BC 1-604-462-8753

     153/501 Valley Hub Clearbrook BC 1-604-850-0021 2400

     153/133 Hot Line Data Network Langley BC 1-604-533-0421 2400

     220/20  Old Frog's Almanac Nanaimo BC 1-604-758-3072 2400

     103/507 Philosopher's Log Anaheim CA 1-714-535-1258 9600

     402/100 The Board Room Belmont Shores CA 1-213-498-6425 2400

     161/502 Wildcat Benicia CA 1-707-746-5820 2400

     161/66  Generic BBS Citrus Heights CA 1-916-722-3659 2400

     203/66  Generic BBS Citrus Heights CA 1-916-722-3659 2400

     161/1   Nerd's Nook Concord CA 1-415-672-2504 9600

     202/401 jabberWOCky Escondido CA 1-619-743-9935 2400

     161/34  Now and Zen OPUS Fair Oaks CA 1-916-962-1952 9600

     161/56  Nat'l Family Forum Freemont, CA 1-415-651-4147 2400

     161/7   Mover Mouse BBS Fremont, CA 1-415-883-1644 2400

     161/39  Nightline Mather AFB, CA 1-916-362-1755 2400

     161/509 Enterprize Pinole, CA 1-415-758-1650 2400

     161/11  The Byte Boutique Sacramento CA 1-916-483-8032 2400

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 17                  30 Jan 1989

     161/5   River City II OPUS Sacramento, CA 1-916-646-9678 9600

     161/943 Eagle's Nest Sacramento, CA 1-916-334-2822 9600

     10/215  Silver BBS San Diego, CA 1-619-226-4502 2400

     125/31  Echo Coord San Francisco CA 1-415-621-5206 9600

     143/27  Vietnam Veterans Valhalla San Jose CA 1-408-293-7894 2400

     143/86  Cat's Tail BBS S T O P San Mateo CA 1-415-349-8245 2400

     125/78  Living Sober BBS San Mateo, CA 1-415-342-2859 2400

     125/12  The Grape Vine Santa Rosa, CA 1-707-546-4938 2400

     125/7   Survival Forum Santa Rosa, CA 1-707-545-0746 2400

     103/501 Mount Silverthorn Tustin, CA 1-714-544-3369 2400

     104/28  Pinecliff BBS Boulder, CO 1-303-444-7073 2400

     128/13  COSUG-Colorado's User Clrdo Spg CO 1-404-548-0726 2400

     128/16  Firenet Leader Colorado Spring CO 1-303-591-9600 2400

     104/739 The Phoenix Parker, CO 1-303-841-9570 2400

     104/51  P2 B2 South Denver, CO 1-303-329-3337 2400

     141/488 Alice's Restaurant Branford CT 1-203-488-1115 2400

     141/250 Wilton Woods Wilton, CT 1-203=762-8481 9600

     135/27  Bitsy's Place Miami Beach FL 1-305-865-0495 1200

     135/35  The Way Out BBS Miami, FL 1-305-665-3283 1200

     363/9   Wit's End Orlanda, FL 1-305-894-0807 1200

     363/10  Midas Touch Orlando, FL 1-305-648-1133 1200

     366/38  Jolly Green Giant Shalimar, FL 1-904-651-3875 9600

     18/43   Athens Echo Athens, GA 1-404-546-7857 9600

     370/10  OnLine OPUS Athens, GA 1-404-548-0726 2400

     370/5   Athens Forum Athens, GA 1-404-546-7857 9600

     12/7    HPCUA Honolulu HI 1-808-422-8406 9600

     12/1    Aura Net Honolulu, HI 1-808-533-0190 2400

     115/761 ICS/TRIX 1 OPUS Chicago, IL 1-312-761-7887 2400

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 18                  30 Jan 1989

     115/529 Elk Grove Repeater Elk Grove Vlg IL 1-312-529-1586 2400

     115/20  North Shore BBS Evanston, IL 1-312-491-2611 2400

     115/429 Chicago Business Evanston, IL 1-312-491-2611 2400

     11/109  Peoria OPUS Net Peoria, IL 1-309-691-5416 2400

     11/202  The SouthSide BBS Indianapolis, IN 1-317-882-9330 1200

     227/1   Michiana TechLine Mishawaka, IN 1-219-258-0286 9600

     227/150 The SX Project Whiting IN 1-219-659-2711 2400

     108/90  DATANET Information Syste Erlanger KY 1-606-727-3638 2400

     108/50  The ZOO BBS Independence, KY 1-606-283-2040 2400

     321/109 Pioneer Valley PCUG-1 Amherst, MA 1-413-256-1037 9600

     321/201 Mountain Top Dalton, MA 1-413-684-2886 2400

     321/202 Jones' Nose Great Barringto MA 1-413-243-0034 9600

     321/203 VETLink #1 Pittsfield, MA 1-413-443-6313 2400

     109/722 Ronnie's Roadies BBS Camp Springs MD 1-301-736-0135 1200

     109/648 Falcon's Rock College Park, MD 1-301-345-7459 2400

     13/29   Berkshire Board Essex, MD 1-301-574-1984 9600

     13/33   Avi-Technic Lutherville, MD 1-301-252-0717 9600

     13/30   The Futurists BBS Perry Hall, MD 1-301-529-0716 9600

     261/628 Liberty Hall Reisterstown, MD 1-301-833-8933 2400

     261/628.1 Systemhouse Link Reisterstown, MD 1-301-833-8933 2400

     109/717 The Tin Badge BBS Silver Spring, MD 1-301-589-2016 1200

     1/214   Region 14 Echo Coor Minneapolis, MN 1-612-377-3398 2400

     1/314   Software Dist Minneapolis, MN 1-612-377-3469 2400

     282/1   Midwest Echo Star Minneapolis, MN 1-612-377-3469 9600

     151/20  Metro Link Charlotte, NC 1-704-541-8626 2400

     151/60  VMC-BBS Lewisville, NC 1-919-945-4850 2400

     151/100 NC Central Raleigh, NC 1-919-851-8460 9600

     151/1000 REDCON Raleigh, NC 1-919-859-3353 2400

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 19                  30 Jan 1989

     143/99  Friend's BBS Omaha, NE 1-402-896-2669 2400

     132/101 BBS Source Archive Nashua, NH 1-603-888-8179 2400

     150/803 Jersey Vertex Moorestown, NJ 1-609-869-0139 2400

     15/4    NASW New Mexico Las Cruces, NM 1-505-646-2868 2400

     381/401 Border Connection Santa Fe NM 1-505-678-1318 2400

     107/105 NY Transfer Staten Island, NY 1-718-442-1056 2400

     108/105 Global Time Systems Cincinnati, OH 1-606-341-7910 2400

     157/1   Auer Register Cleveland, OH 1-216-883-0578 2400

     157/504 The Revelstone TBBS Cleveland, OH 1-216-642-1034 9600

     110/20  EDS Data Dayton, OH 1-513-455-2431 2400

     157/501 The PC-Key BBS Girard OH 1-216-545-9205 2400

     385/4   Info-Net Lawton, OK 1-405-357-6181 2400

     385/6   Bink's Barn Lawton, OK 1-405-357-2473 2400

     147/14  Dark Star TBBS Oklahoma City, OK 1-405-691-0863 9600

     148/120 Genetic Research Vat Toronto ON 1-416-480-0551 2400

     11/700  FCAU IBM Net Toronto, ON 1-416-427-0682 9600

     221/156 Waterloo CBCS PUBLIC Waterloo, ON 1-519-746-5020 9600

     221/157 Waterloo CBCS Echomail Waterloo, ON Unpublished 9600

     105/16  Net 105 EchoMail Hub Portland, OR 1-503-761-3003 2400

     105/61  Shotgun OPUS Portland, OR 1-503-760-4521 2400

     157/506 Beacon Hill OPUS Transfer, PA 1-412-962-9514 2400

     362/1   The Mines of Moria Chattanooga, TN 1-615-344-9601 2400

     362/501 Coconut Telegraph Chattanooga, TN 1-615-698-4858 2400

     18/7    Flash Port Memphis TN 1-901-525-2710 2400

     18/6    The Burnout Board Memphis, TN 1-901-353-4563 2400

     130/5   CUSSNET UTA Arlington, TX 1-817-273-3966 2400

     136/200 The Chai Way II Austin, TX 1-214-358-3738 2400

     124/210 Hardwired Dallas TX 1-214-437-4075 9600

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 20                  30 Jan 1989

     124/214 *CHRYSALIS* Dallas TX 1-214-895-9054 2400

     124/106 CHAI Way II Dallas, TX 1-214-250-3323 9600

     124/110 Flying Dutchman Dallas, TX 1-214-642-3436 9600

     124/117 NCC-1701 Node 1 Dallas, TX 1-214-240-8821 2400

     124/117 NCC-1701 Dallas, TX 1-214-240-8821 2400

     124/14  Chrysalis Dallas, TX 1-214-985-9054 2400

     124/200 Dallas Outbound Dallas, TX 1-214-437-4075 2400

     124/201 Hardweird Dallas, TX 1-204-931-2987 2400

     19/5    Micro Application El Paso TX 1-915-594-9738 2400

     106/386 Information Center Exchan Houston TX 1-713-872-4429 2400

     106/108 Stormy Weather I Houston, TX 1-713-644-4345 9600

     106/111 Shutterbug's OPUS Houston, TX 1-713-880-4329 2400

     106/113 The Opus Network Houston, TX 1-713-780-4153 2400

     106/114 The Fireside Houston, TX 1-713-496-6319 2400

     106/357 TMBBS Houston, TX 1-713-497-5433 2400

     106/666 Anything Goes OPUS Houston, TX 1-713-997-2624 2400

     106/132 Fast BBS OPUS Katy, TX 1-713-392-0093 2400

     382/1   Crystal Palace Lake Travis, TX 1-512-339-8037 2400

     382/14  Corona Del Mar Rockport, TX 1-512-729-7026 9600

     381/201 Pro Link San Angelo, TX 1-915-944-2952 2400

     387/401 Comp-U-Gen II San Antonio TX 1-512-496-9373 2400

     387/601 NCOA International BBS San Antonio TX 1-512-653-0409 2400

     387/800 NCOA International BBS San Antonio TX 1-800-365-6262 2400

     109/604 ShanErin Alexandria, VA 1-703-941-8291 2400

     109/639 The RENEX BBS Woodbridge, VA 1-703-494-8331 2400

     343/111 Lessor Puget TB Edmonds, WA 1-206-742-8067 2400

     343/9   Everett OPUS Everett, WA 1-206-355-1295 1200

     138/4   PTC Net Mount Vernon, WA 1-206-757-5248 2400

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 21                  30 Jan 1989

     1/217   Region 17 Echo Coord Puyallup, WA 1-206-848-5317 2400

     138/101 Story Board Puyallup, WA 1-206-848-5317 9600

     138/3   Puget Sound Gateway Puyallup, WA 1-206-848-9232 2400

     138/49  The Cohort Puyallup, WA 1-206-848-2646 9600

     138/35  US HDS Human Service Seattle, WA 1-206-442-8127 2400

     138/52  Burrell's Ballpark Tacoma, WA 1-206-752-4672 2400

     139/640 Fox Valley Tech Appleton, WI 1-414-735-2513 2400

     154/200 PC-Express Greenfield, WI 1-414-327-5300 2400

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 22                  30 Jan 1989

                                  COLUMNS

                          The Old Frog's Almanac
           (or "What the hell do we do with all that ECHOMAIL?")
                           by Ken McVay, 153/20

     I remember when echomail hit the nets...Ken Yerex, my N/C at  the
     time,  called me voice to warn me that 300 BLOCKS of  mail  would
     arrive that night...I remember shuddering a bit at the thought of
     the  1200-baud nightmare that would create if it  continued  (how
     little  we  knew,  eh?), and the painful addition  to  the  phone
     bill (Would it hit $30 this month?).

     (Lots  of water under the proverbial bridge since then...and  the
     phone bill is well over $200 now, even with an HST....)

     After  reading TECH for a few days, and taking lessons in  system
     management from Rob Barker (then the R/C of RGN17) via his  well-
     known  "RAMBLES,"  it  occurred  to me that  all  this  mail  was
     probably  worth saving (yes, Rob, I still have your RAMBLES  :-))
     and I began the laborious task of doing just that.

     There  were several utilities appearing at that time (late  1986)
     which made it easy to save the mail - they converted the  message
     format to ASCII, message by message, and then I concatenated  all
     of  them,  edited them with WordStar, and then  ran  CLEAN_WS  to
     strip  the 8th. bit and convert (again) back to ASCII. It  wasn't
     long  before I had lots of these files cluttering up my poor  20-
     meg,  covering  a  wide  range of topics,  and  "The  Old  Frog's
     Almanac" was born.

     Why "Old Frog?" Because the guy that really got me into this mess
     was the Venerable Amphibian Hisse'f, Ryugen Fisher. His  postings
     in TECH were not only precise and informative, but full of humour
     that  only  Ryugen seemed to be able to generate. (I  still  have
     them, and still enjoy reading them...)

     In time, the collection grew, and the methods employed to extract
     and process the files changed as software improved. I  discovered
     Bob Klahn's fantastic Sirius package about a year ago, and  began
     using  it to automate what had become a painfully  time-consuming
     and  difficult  process. Sirius just looked in the  area  it  was
     directed to, grabbed the first 25 messages, and dumped them  into
     a  flat  file. All I had to do then was edit the  flat  file  and
     remove  SEEN-BY  lines, message numbers,  blank  lines,  etc....I
     didn't  really  enjoy it, but the savings in storage  space  were
     substantial,  and I didn't have much choice. Hour after hour  was
     devoted to this boring and tedious task, and I went to the Sirius
     echo  in the hope I could find some help, and eliminate  all  the
     edits.

     Tim  Evans  (138/102.1)  proved more than up  to  the  task,  and
     provided  me  with EGREP100.ARC and sample batch  file  routines.
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 23                  30 Jan 1989

     After playing around with them for a few hours, I added EGREP  to
     my  SEAdog  batch file and ended the tedious  edits  permanently.

     Things  sort of took care of themselves for a week or  two  after
     that,  until I took a look at the text files and discovered  that
     some  of them exceeded 1.2 MEGS in a single MONTH! Not only  were
     the  resulting  archives  too big for anyone without  an  HST  to
     download,  but the whole damned file was just too big for  anyone
     to  bother  with  trying  to  gain  anything  from  reading   it!
     Obviously, it was time to get back to SIRECHO and see if  someone
     could  tell me how to do selective topical searches by SUBJECT  -
     if I could do that, I could not only break the huge files down to
     manageable size, but provide much more useful information.

     Enter Dave Hart (150/311), who sent me some sample Sirius scripts
     which extracted by subject, looped back to the beginning, and did
     it all over again. Dave's samples wouldn't work for me, but  they
     did provide all the syntax samples that my feeble brain needed to
     write  something that would work, and I have spent endless  hours
     since creating Sirius scripts and EGREP routines which break each
     message  base  down into as many topics as possible,  edit  them,
     archive  them,  and  carry on to the next area.  The  Old  Frog's
     Almanac  has come of age, and the impossible task of "keeping  up
     with the mail" has become a readily manageable and pleasant  one,
     since virtually any message of interest, in any message area, can
     now be compiled into a single text file, to be read at leisure.

     Here's a representative look at what's available from Volume  III
     (1989):

                        The Old Frog's Almanac
                               Volume III
     ------------------------>> 1989 <<------------------------
     - Applications and Programming Extracts
     ASM0189.PAK  Assembly Language extracts, Jan '89
     CLIP0189.PAK CLIPPER Extracts, Jan. '89
     DB0189.PAK   dBASE extracts, Jan '89
     MTSK0189.PAK MultiTasking extracts, Jan '89
     SIR0189.PAK  Sirius extracts, Jan. '89
     WPER0189.PAK Word Perfect extracts, Jan. 89

     - BBS-Related Extracts (MEADOW/PNW_MEADOW/SEADOG)
     EGRD0189.PAK ECHOGUARD - 01/89
     EMBD0189.PAK OECC/Embedded Commands, 01/89
     JMDM0189.PAK JMODEM. 01/89
     LUSR0189.PAK LASTUSER.BBS, 01/89
     MCHK0189.PAK Mail Checking Util's, 01/89
     MODM0189.PAK Modem SETUP, 01/89
     ODV0189.PAK  Opus & DesqView, 01/89
     OKFL0189.PAK FileList compilation, 01/89
     OPXP0189.PAK Opus Express Extracts, 01/89
     OZMD0189.PAK Opus & ZModem, 01/89
     PRIV0189.PAK *PRIV.BBS Files, 01/89
     STCK0189.PAK STACK, 01/89
     XLAX0189.PAK NODELIST processing, 01/89

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 24                  30 Jan 1989

     - DeskTop Publishing Extracts
     APM0189.PAK  PAGEMAKER, 01/89
     DPUB0189.PAK DeskTop Publishing extracts, Jan '89
     FONT0189.PAK FONTS, 01/89
     GEM0189.PAK  GEM Extracts, 01/89
     LPTR0189.PAK LASER PRINTERS, 01/89
     PFSF0189.PAK PFS FIRST PUBLISHER, 01/89
     VENT0189.PAK VENTURA, 01/89

     - Hard Drive-related HDCONF Extracts
     ADAP0189.PAK ADAPTEC Controllers, Jan. '89
     CDCW0189.PAK CDC WREN Drives, 01/89
     CPMQ0189.PAK COMPAQ Drive Extracts, 01/89
     FLPY0189.PAK Floppy Drive extracts, Jan. '89
     HD0189.PAK   Hard Drive extracts, Jan '89
     MAXT0189.PAK Maxtor Hard Drives, January, 1989
     MCRP0189.PAK Micropolis Hard Drives, January, 1989
     OPTI0189.PAK Optimizing! 01/89
     PARK0189.PAK HD PARK, 01/89
     PERS0189.PAK Perstor Controllers, January, '89
     SPIN0189.PAK SpinRite Disk Management, January, 1989
     TAPE0189.PAK TAPE BACKUP, 01/89
     THD0189.PAK  TANDY Hard Drive Extracts, January, 1989
     TOSH0189.PAK TOSHIBA Drives, 01/89
     VRTX0189.PAK VERTEX Drives, 01/89
     WDHC0189.PAK WD Controllers, 01/89

     - Hardware-Related Extracts
     HST0189.PAK  USR Courier HST extracts, Jan '89
     PS2_0189.PAK IBM PS2 Series Extracts, Jan. '89
     UART0189.PAK 16550/UART/HST Extracts, Jan. '89

     - Local Area Network Extracts
     ARCN0189.PAK ARCNET, 01/89
     DECN0189.PAK DEC-NET, 01/89
     LAN0189.PAK  LAN extracts, January, 1989
     LANT0189.PAK LANTASTIC, 01/89
     MLAN0189.PAK MAINLAN, 01/89
     NOVL0189.PAK NOVELL, 01/89

     - Lotus 1-2-3 Extracts
     3PRN0189.PAK Printer Configuration, 01/89
     3MAC0189.PAK MACROS, 01/89
     3GEN0189.PAK AGENDA, 01/89
     3AVG0189.PAK The @AVG Function, 01/89
     3HAL0189.PAK Lotus HAL, 01/89
     3DAT0189.PAK The @DATE Function, 01/89
     3BAS0189.PAK The @BASE Function, 01/89
     LOT0189.PAK  Lotus extracts, January, 1989
     LU3D0189.PAK LUCID-3D Spreadsheet, 01/89
     QUAT0189.PAK QUATTRO Extracts (Lotus Conference) Jan. '89

     - MicroSoft OS/2 Operating System
     2LAN0189.PAK OS/2 LAN MANAGER, Jan. '89
     2MOU0189.PAK OS/2 MouOpen, Jan. '89
     2SES0189.PAK OS/2 SESSION Extracts, Jan. '89
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 25                  30 Jan 1989

     OS2_0189.PAK OS/2 Conference extracts, January, 1989

     - MiniScribe Fixed Disks
     36500189.PAK MiniScribe 3650, 01/89
     61280189.PAK MiniScribe 6128, 01/89
     MSHD0189.PAK MiniScribe Extracts, Jan. '89

     - QNX-Related Extracts
     QNX0189.PAK  QNX extracts, Jan '89
     QTT20189.PAK QTach2 (QNX) BBS Extracts, 01/89

     - Seagate Fixed Disks
     S1380189.PAK Seagate ST-138, January, 1989
     S2250189.PAK Seagate ST-225 Drive, 01/89
     S2380189.PAK Seagate ST-238, January, 1989
     S2510189.PAK Seagate ST-251 Drive, 01/89
     S2960189.PAK Seagate ST-296 Drive, 01/89
     S4960189.PAK Seagate ST-4096 Drive, 01/89
     SEAG0189.PAK Seagate Hard Drives, Jan. '89

     - Social Issues
     AIDS0189.PAK AIDS/ARC extracts, Jan '89
     VETS0189.PAK VietNam Vets extracts, Jan '89

     - TELIX-Related Extracts
     SALT0189.PAK Telix SALT Extracts, Jan. '89
     TELX0189.PAK Telix extracts, Jan '89
     TJM0189.PAK  Telix-JModem, 01/89
     TZM0189.PAK  Telix-ZModem, 01/89

     - United Nations (UNITEX) Topical Extracts
     AFRO0189.PAK AFRICAN Extracts, January, 1989
     INDO0189.PAK INDIA Extracts, January, 1989
     MALD0189.PAK MALDIVES Extracts, January, 1989
     NAMI0189.PAK Namibia (UN) Extracts, January, '89
     UGAN0189.PAK UGANDAN Extracts, January, 1989
     UN0189.PAK   United Nations extracts, Jan '89
     USSR0189.PAK Soviet Extracts, Jan. '89

     A complete list of all Almanac files is updated daily, by  simply
     concatenating  the  FILES.BBS  from  three  file  areas.  It   is
     available  for SEAdog file-request as ALMANAC.LST.  The  filename
     convention is pretty straightforward, with the first four  char's
     used to denote file topic, the next two the month, then the year.
     Files are available in both *.MSG and *.PAK format, to facilitate
     either downloading or online perusal.

     A  representative sampling of the Sirius V0.50 scripts and  batch
     file  routines  is  also  updated  daily,  and  is  available  as
     ALMANAC.PAK. It also contains the file ALMANAC.LST.

     Next  week, we'll provide samples of the Sirius files  and  batch
     file commands....see you then!

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 26                  30 Jan 1989

                              LATEST VERSIONS

     System Enhancement Associates, Inc.
     1:107/9@FidoNet, 520/1015@AlterNet

                          New Product Announcement

                                SEAdog 4.50

     System Enhancement Associates,  Inc.  is pleased to announce  the
     release  of  version  4.50  of the SEAdog electronic mail system.
     Version 4.50 adds many new features to the  SEAdog  mail  system.
     We'll try to cover the highlights.

     *   You  may have noticed some difficulty in using SEAdog 4.10 on
         a slow machine with a fast modem.  This  has  been  resolved.
         The  SEAdog  mailer  itself is now much more efficient in its
         handling of serial hardware,  and  our  new  internal  serial
         driver  is  the  tightest,  most  efficient driver we've seen
         anywhere in any comparable program.  Using our native  driver
         a  4.77 mHz XT can drive a USR Courier HST at a full 9600 bps
         (the maximum which its UART can handle).  On intercontinental
         calls between our office in New  Jersey  and  test  sites  in
         Alaska  and  Australia,  SEAdog 4.50 has been clocked at over
         15,000 bps!  We now typically "max out" the modems in  almost
         all situations.

     *   Our   internal  driver  now  also  supports  the  16550  UART
         directly,  allowing for better throughput under  multitaskers
         or  with "problem hardware" (like disk controllers that steal
         interrupts).

     *   We now support  Henk  Wever's  "restartable  SEAlink",  which
         allows  you to resume an interrupted file transfer.  This has
         been tested with and is compatible with Henk's Dutchie.

     *   We've improved support for multiple  configuration  files  by
         adding an "SDCONFIG" environment variable and by allowing one
         configuration file to include another.

     *   SEAdog will now resume an event that was interrupted,  be  it
         by a power outage,  system reboot,  operator intervention, or
         exiting to a BBS with "*x".  The mailer now resumes where  it
         left off and does NOT rebuild its mail packets.

     *   Earlier  versions introduced the concept of an external event
         being triggered by crashmail.  We now allow  external  events
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 27                  30 Jan 1989

         to  be  triggered  by any or all of crash mail,  normal mail,
         attached files,  or file requests.  Thresholds may be set  on
         any of these, such as triggering an external event when three
         or more files are received.

     *   We  now support domain addressing,  as designed by "jim nutt"
         (sic).  This  allows messages to be freely addressed to nodes
         in other networks via locally controlled domain gates.  A new
         configuration command, "DOMAIN", was added to support this.

     *   We have introduced the concept of "temporary mail",  which is
         deleted at the end of an event whether it was  sent  or  not.
         This  is  used  in conjunction with the "NOW" option of SEND,
         GET,  and TELL.  Further,  the "NOW" option causes  ONLY  the
         specified  action  to take place -- the mailer will no longer
         try to deliver all crashmail to anyone anywhere just  because
         you said "get it now".

     *   The SEAdog mailer now recognizes six different command line

         -a   Alert; ding the bell when mail is received
         -r   Receive; wait for mail to be received, and then exit
         -c   Crash; deliver all crash mail, and then exit
         -m   Mail; deliver all mail, and then exit
         -t   Temporary; deliver all temporary mail, and then exit
         -eX  Event; same as -m, but use the designated event tag

     *   A new modem type,  "MODEM NULL",  has been added  to  support
         null modem connections.

     *   A new modem command,  "MODEM ANSWER", has been added to allow
         for telephone answering under program control.  When this  is
         used,  the  modem  setup  should  contain  "S0=0"  instead of
         "S0=1".  Thus,  the modem does not answer  the  phone  unless
         your system is alive and well and ready to handle the call.

     *   A  new  configuration  command,  "PROCESS",  was added.  This
         allows a SEAdog system to run a specified program in response
         to a file request.  This is how the ADDGROUP request works on
         520/546@AlterNet and 1:107/1015@FidoNet.

     *   A new configuration command, "SHELL", was added.  This allows
         a SEAdog system to invoke an  alternate  session  manager  in
         response  to  a remote system request.  This is already being
         used to allow a SEAdog site to receive UseNet  mail,  and  to
         allow  one  SEAdog site to provide the date and time to other
         sites.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 28                  30 Jan 1989

     *   Event definition has been expanded.  Two  new  "days  of  the
         week"  have been added;  "WEND" for Saturday and Sunday,  and
         "WDAY" for Monday through Friday.  In addition,  days of  the
         week may now be stacked, separated by commas.  As in:

              Event B Mon,Wed 3:00

         which  would define an event that happened at 3 AM on Mondays
         and Wednesdays.

     *   Two new routing keywords have been added. "CRASH" which means
         any node you have crashmail for,  and "CLASS-<x>" which means
         any node of the given routing class and category.

         A  routing  class is sensibly similar to the cost per message
         of sending mail  to  that  node.  A  routing  category  is  a
         single-character  code  classifying a node.  A new version of
         XlatList is being published  to  support  routing  categories
         based on baud rate and node list flags.

         For  example,  assume  that in a given event you want to send
         mail to anyone you have crashmail for,  plus anyone who is  a
         local  call.  You  would  like  to build packets for everyone
         else,  but they should be on hold for  pickup.  Further,  you
         don't  want  to  try  to  dial  anyone  who is not listed for
         continuous mail.  Sound complicated?  Here's how to do it:

              Send-to all
              Hold all except crash class-0
              Hold all except class-C

         Our intent was to allow  for  sophisticated  and  intelligent
         routing  without  the  need  for  route  file generators like
         RouteGen.  We've succeeded.

     *   The  SEAdog  mailer no longer uses an external script driver.
         It now uses an internal script language that is flexible  and
         powerful.  We'll  be  publishing  the script we've been using
         for PC Pursuit.  Our sample script:

           1) Determines from the time and day of the week whether  or
              not we are within the PC Pursuit coverage period.

           2) Determines by table lookup of the area code and exchange
              whether or not the destination node is reachable via  PC
              Pursuit, and if so which outdial modem to use.

           3) Determines from its own log whether or not that  outdial
              modem is currently operational.

           4) Dials  four  different  local access numbers in rotation
              until it gains access to Telenet.

           5) Logs into Telenet, checking for problems and retrying as
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 29                  30 Jan 1989

              necessary.

           6) Attempts  to  connect  to  the  outdial  modem,   noting
              problems for future reference and retrying as necessary.

           7) Initializes the outdial modem,  noting if it was left in
              Racal-Vadic mode and resetting it if so.

           8) Dials the destination system, giving the area code in
              those cases where it's needed.

           9) Logs to the system log whether  or  not  the  connection
              succeeded,  and  logging  a successful connect (with the
              date, time,  destination node,  and outdial used) to its
              own log file.

         And this is only the beginning of what  our  script  language
         can  do.  One  of  our  beta  test sites has been using it to
         allow his SEAdog to send Usenet mail to a UNIX system.

     *   The SEAdog mailer now incorporates its own terminal interface
         for  calling other systems.  Full script support is available
         when dialing out with the terminal interface.

     *   The  SEAdog  mailer  now  incorporates   a   "chat   session"
         capability  for  establishing a real-time conversational link
         with another system.  Full script support  is  available  for
         establishing  a  chat  link.  Chat  link  features include an
         error-free session protocol, the ability to ship files to the
         remote system, and the ability to allow remote MS-DOS access.
         During remote MS-DOS access both sides  see  everything  that
         goes on, and either side may type commands.

     *   The  redirector  used  for remote MS-DOS access during a chat
         link is also available to other programs  running  under  the
         SEAdog  mailer.  We  will  soon  be announcing a new bulletin
         board program that uses this feature.  Full documentation  on
         using the redirector is supplied in the SEAdog manual.

     *   Received mail packets are now unpacked as soon as possible on
         a "time  available"  basis,  meaning  that  the  mailer  will
         interrupt packet processing in order to service a phone call.
         This  allows an external event to be triggered immediately on
         receipt of crashmail (or whatever).

     *   The  SEAdog  mailer  is  now aware of,  and can intelligently
         manage,  ARCmail-style mail archives.  "File attach messages"
         are  no  longer  required,  and  the outgoing archives can be
         deleted as soon as they have been  delivered.  Mail  archives
         can  be  always available for pickup with no explicit routing
         instructions required,  and may even  be  picked  up  if  the
     FidoNews 6-05                Page 30                  30 Jan 1989

         mailer is not in a mail event.

     *   The RENUMBER program has been significantly enhanced.  It can
         now renumber alternate message areas,  and can purge messages
         by attribute (sent, received, etc.), by count, by age, or any
         combination.

     *   The SEAdog MAIL program has several significant enhancements,
         including  the  ability  to lock and unlock messages,  rotate
         message text,  search all message areas for mail addressed to
         you,  use multiple lists of alternate areas, use 43-line mode
         on an EGA or VGA display,  and select  between  "narrow"  (63
         column) or "wide" (80 column) text display mode.

     The  complete  SEAdog package is available for $99.95 from System
     Enhancement Assciates, Inc.  We can be reached by phone between 9
     AM and 5 PM Eastern time at (201) 473-5153, or by mail at:

                    System Enhancement Associates, Inc.
                       21 New Street, Wayne NJ  07470

     Anyone with an earlier version of SEAdog who wishes to upgrade to
     version 4.50 can do so by mailing us $50 plus your original  disk
     (the green one with our label on it).

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 31                  30 Jan 1989

                          Latest Software Versions

                           Bulletin Board Software
     Name        Version    Name        Version    Name       Version

     Fido            12i    Opus          1.03b    TBBS           2.1*
     QuickBBS       2.03    TPBoard         5.0*   TComm/TCommNet 3.2
     Lynx           1.10    Phoenix         1.3    RBBS         1.71C

     Network                Node List              Other
     Mailers     Version    Utilities   Version    Utilities  Version

     Dutchie       2.90b    EditNL         4.00    ARC           5.32
     SEAdog         4.10    MakeNL         2.12    ARCmail        1.1
     BinkleyTerm    2.00    Prune          1.40    ConfMail      4.00
     D'Bridge       1.10    XlatList       2.86    TPB Editor    1.21
     FrontDoor       2.0    XlaxNode       2.31*   TCOMMail       2.0*
     PRENM          1.40    XlaxDiff       2.31*   TMail         8812*
                            ParseList      1.30*   UFGATE        1.02*
                                                   GROUP         2.04*
                                                   EMM           1.40
                                                   MSGED         1.96

     * Recently changed

     Utility authors:  Please help  keep  this  list  up  to  date  by
     reporting  new  versions  to 1:1/1.  It is not our intent to list
     all utilities here, only those which verge on necessity.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 32                  30 Jan 1989

                                  NOTICES

                          The Interrupt Stack

        Voyager 2 passes Neptune.

          FidoCon '89 starts at the Holiday Inn in San Jose,
          California.  Trade show, seminars, etc. Contact 1/89
          for info.

        20th Anniversary of "Monty Python's Flying Circus"

     If you have something which you would like to see on this
     calendar, please send a message to FidoNet node 1:1/1.

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 33                  30 Jan 1989

            OFFICERS OF THE INTERNATIONAL FIDONET ASSOCIATION

     Hal DuPrie     1:101/106  Chairman of the Board
     Bob Rudolph    1:261/628  President
     Matt Whelan    3:3/1      Vice President
     Ray Gwinn      1:109/639  Vice President - Technical Coordinator
     David Garrett  1:103/501  Secretary
     Steve Bonine   1:115/777  Treasurer

                         IFNA BOARD OF DIRECTORS

         DIVISION                               AT-LARGE

     10  Courtney Harris   1:102/732?    Don Daniels     1:107/210
     11  Bill Allbritten   1:11/301      Hal DuPrie      1:101/106
     12  Bill Bolton       3:711/403     Mark Grennan    1:147/1
     13  Rick Siegel       1:107/27      Steve Bonine    1:115/777
     14  Ken Kaplan        1:100/22      Ted Polczyinski 1:154/5
     15  Larry Kayser      1:104/739?    Matt Whelan     3:3/1
     16  Ivan Schaffel     1:141/390     Robert Rudolph  1:261/628
     17  Rob Barker        1:138/34      Steve Jordan    1:102/2871
     18  Christopher Baker 1:135/14      Bob Swift       1:140/24
     19  David Drexler     1:19/1        Larry Wall      1:15/18
      2  Henk Wevers       2:500/1       David Melnik    1:107/233

     FidoNews 6-05                Page 34                  30 Jan 1989

                                      __
                 The World's First   /  \
                    BBS Network     /|oo \
                    * FidoNet *    (_|  /_)
                                    _`@/_ \    _
                                   |     | \   \\
                                   | (*) |  \   ))
                      ______       |__U__| /  \//
                     / Fido \       _//|| _\   /
                    (________)     (_/(_|(____/ (tm)

            Membership for the International FidoNet Association

     Membership in IFNA is open to any individual or organization that
     pays  a  specified  annual   membership  fee.   IFNA  serves  the
     international  FidoNet-compatible  electronic  mail  community to
     increase worldwide communications.

     Member Name _______________________________  Date _______________
     Address _________________________________________________________
     City ____________________________________________________________
     State ________________________________  Zip _____________________
     Country _________________________________________________________
     Home Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________
     Work Phone (Voice) ______________________________________________

     Zone:Net/Node Number ____________________________________________
     BBS Name ________________________________________________________
     BBS Phone Number ________________________________________________
     Baud Rates Supported ____________________________________________
     Board Restrictions ______________________________________________

     Your Special Interests __________________________________________
     In what areas would you be willing to help in FidoNet? __________
     Send this membership form and a check or money order for $25 in
     US Funds to:
                   International FidoNet Association
                   PO Box 41143
                   St Louis, Missouri 63141
                   USA

     Thank you for your membership!  Your participation will help to
     insure the future of FidoNet.

     Please NOTE that IFNA is a general not-for-profit organization
     and Articles of Association and By-Laws were adopted by the
     membership in January 1987.  The second elected Board of Directors
     was filled in August 1988.  The IFNA Echomail Conference has been
     established on FidoNet to assist the Board.  We welcome your
     input to this Conference.

 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108