[rec.games.go] Info Request: USCF rating as a function of search ply?

kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) (11/16/90)

In article <11155.273b8b99@amherst.bitnet> tjbryce@amherst.bitnet writes:

   Each additional ply of search adds about 200 points to a programs
   plying strength. (sources: Scientific American, October 1990 and
   the book Chess Skill in Man and machine, as well)

How about in go?  (N.B.  I think that some approaches use shallow or
even no search, other than perhaps for ladders.)  Any interesting
patterns for kyu ratings?

P.S.  What's the status for PD go program frameworks?  What are the
good ones out there, and are there any multilingual ones (e.g. C or
C++ and a high level language combined)?

--
If you do not receive a reply from me, please resend your mail;
occasionally this site's mail gets delayed.

Neither representing any company nor, necessarily, myself.

dsa@dlogics.COM (David Angulo) (11/21/90)

In article <KPC00.90Nov15174201@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) writes:
> In article <11155.273b8b99@amherst.bitnet> tjbryce@amherst.bitnet writes:
>
>    Each additional ply of search adds about 200 points to a programs
>    plying strength. (sources: Scientific American, October 1990 and
>    the book Chess Skill in Man and machine, as well)

Well, this is a rule of thumb and as any such generalization goes, take it
with a grain of salt.  In the good, brute strength programs, the same program
when an additional ply of search is added (without taking into account time
factors), might increase in strength by this number.  There are a lot of other
factors, however.  There is a rec.chess group (I think) that talks about these
things a lot - if you want more info, I'd suggest you post there.

> How about in go?  (N.B.  I think that some approaches use shallow or
> even no search, other than perhaps for ladders.)  Any interesting
> patterns for kyu ratings?

Well, the same thing would apply.  Yes, many programs do no minimax tree
searching at all.  One would expect that if such searching would be added,
the ratings would go up similarly on a similar scale.  Note, however, that
the scales are NOT similar.  The internation and American chess rating systems
are both based on statistical normalized distributions (bell curves).  The
kyu system is based on handicaps between two players of different strengths.

> P.S.  What's the status for PD go program frameworks?  What are the
> good ones out there, and are there any multilingual ones (e.g. C or
> C++ and a high level language combined)?

There is GNUgo (see the GNU... news groups) as well as a GNUchess program.
I believe these are written in g (?) a c lookalike language.
--
David S. Angulo                  (312) 266-3134
Datalogics                       Internet: dsa@dlogics.com