[net.jobs] Comercial use of NET.JOBS

alden@smiley.DEC (Ken Alden, 381-2317) (02/07/85)

I tend to agree that comercial use of NET.JOBS is not an acceptable practice.
However, I see nothing wrong with headhunter firms *reading* the network
for people who are looking for jobs and contacting those people via
telephone. But posting their jobs on the network *is* costing others a lot
of money and resources, and there are national databases for doing just that.

-Ken Alden

ian@loral.UUCP (Ian Kaplan) (02/10/85)

In article <470@decwrl.UUCP> alden@smiley.DEC (Ken Alden, 381-2317) writes:
>I tend to agree that comercial use of NET.JOBS is not an acceptable practice.
>However, I see nothing wrong with headhunter firms *reading* the network
>for people who are looking for jobs and contacting those people via
>telephone. But posting their jobs on the network *is* costing others a lot
>of money and resources, and there are national databases for doing just that.
>
>-Ken Alden

  Perhaps you can explain the defference between a company or a university
  posting a note on a job opening and a head-hunter doing the same.  In
  both cases a company paying for news routing may loose a valued employee.
  On the other hand many companies, including my own, post openings for
  jobs.

  Also those of you who are in academia, please refrain from calling head
  hunters "vultures" etc... For those of us who periodically have had to
  search for work, head hunters are a valuable resource.  From the other
  end, we also use them to locate employees.  Leave you ivory tower
  mentality off the net, or express it in net.flame with the other garbage.

  Flames to /dev/null

				 Ian Kaplan
				 Loral Instrumentation
				 (619) 560-5888 x4812
			 USENET: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!ian
			 ARPA:   sdcc6!loral!ian@UCSD
			 USPS:   8401 Aero Dr. San Diego, CA 92123