[net.jobs] Hiring non-US citizens

matejcek@parvax.DEC (04/24/85)

I used to work for a company which was the US 'branch' of a German
company which was a subsidiary of a California corporation.  It was
(potentially) a tremendous advantage to us to be able to hire on
occasion one of the engineers from Germany into a position in the US.
We had to 'prove' to INS (Immigration & Naturalization) that no US
citizen could do the job for which we were hiring -- a task which
we generally found impossible.  We could bring someone over for a
finite period -- two years, I believe -- but not permanently.  Once
a German citizen working for us as a technical manager married an
American woman to help reinforce his case for remaining in the US.
At the time I left that company, it wasn't clear that he was going
to be allowed to stay in the US anyway.....

mbk@denning.uucp (Mark Kadonoff) (04/26/85)

	There are a few tricks for showing to the INS that no American citizen is
available for a particular job.  One of the most common is to advertise the position
in a few trade journals for a ridiculously low salary.  When no one responds to the
ad, the company can then go ahead and hire their candidate.

--

Mark Kadonoff	 		UUCP:  decvax!linus!security!denning!mbk
Denning Mobile Robotics, Inc.	ARPA:  denning!mbk@CMU-RI-ROVER

hemanth@amdcad.UUCP (Hemanth Kanekal) (04/29/85)

In article <110@denning.uucp>, mbk@denning.uucp (Mark Kadonoff) writes:
> in a few trade journals for a ridiculously low salary.  When no one responds to the
> ad, the company can then go ahead and hire their candidate.
> Mark Kadonoff	 		UUCP:  decvax!linus!security!denning!mbk

 I'd like to point out that the candidate has to apply for labor
 clearance from the United States Employment Development Department,
 in which the candidate has to have "in-house posting" in public
 view for ten consecutive business days AND an ad in a leading
 newspaper for three consecutive days, giving the details of the
 job plus the amount he is paid for the job. Then the U S Dept of
 labor (Title 2 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 656.21)
 has to say that the pay is adequate for the job. Only then
 is the candidate considered to be "cleared" for employment.
 Please get the facts straight before any such "news" items are
 posted :-).
 hemanth@amdcad
--
 __-~~\   "Oh, Yaay! I have a date with a girl!" ...Opus
/__.*) |   The happy penguin..(uggh! smells of pickled herring!!)