[net.jobs] S.S. # for non-citizens

twh@bocar.UUCP (T Hu) (05/03/85)

A foreigner can apply S.S. card, but he/she has to have
a good reason. Also, some S.S. #s are not allowed to work
in the U.S..

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (05/04/85)

> A foreigner can apply S.S. card, but he/she has to have
> a good reason. Also, some S.S. #s are not allowed to work
> in the U.S..

I believe that it is some combination of the middle numbers
(i.e. xxx-33-xxxx) that identifes "not authorized for employment"
Soc. Sec. numbers. It really isn't hard for a foreigner to get an
SS number if they have any income in the US: the INS collaborates
with the IRS to take Uncle Sam's share!
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (05/05/85)

I don't know whether this is typical, but at Duke University
*all* foreign students are invited to apply for a Social
Security Number at the beginning of their first academic year.
A Social Security official comes to a University Office
(actually, a large classroom) and obtains personal data from
the foreign students.  I don't remember whether the cards
are immediately handed out, or whether they are mailed.

I had never thought that having a Social Security number
had anything to do with authorization to work in the
U.S.A.  In fact, I (and many other foreign students) cannot
work during the Academic Year, unless we are paid through
the University.

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (05/05/85)

The middle figures in my Social Security number are 33, and
I cannot work.  Sri Rajeev may be right.

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (05/06/85)

S.S. #s can be had by anyone. All you need is a birth certificate
(for U.S. Citizens) or your passport (for foreigners).

There are no codes built into the SS # to distinguish between
those authorized to work and those that are not.
If you are not authorized to work (INS jurisdiction) the SS card
is usually stamped accordingly.
Without a SS # you can not open an interest bearing account
with any bank in the U.S. because IRS uses your SS # to make
sure you paid taxes.

Obtaining a SS # does not authorize any foreigner to seek employment,
that requires a permission from the INS.

In order to work, a foreigner needs both the things -
    Permission from INS to work, and,
    A SS #, so your employer can report your earnings to the IRS.
--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (05/07/85)

It is not true that you need a Social Security Number to open a
bank account.  I know of people who have opened interest-bearing
accounts without a Social Security Number.

king@nmtvax.UUCP (05/07/85)

> The middle figures in my Social Security number are 33, and
> I cannot work.  Sri Rajeev may be right.

On the other hand, a recent girlfriend of mine had 33 as her middle pair
of numbers, and she is a U.S. citizen since birth and, naturally, has
the right to work here.

The SSN is not enough to determine the privilege of non-U.S. citizens to
work in the U.S.  Perhaps expatriots with 33 are not allowed to work,
but I am not knowledgeable about such things.
--

                    J. Brooke King in Socorro Funland
                     ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

Any thoughts or non-thoughts expressed here are not necessarily those of NMIMT.

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/08/85)

  Any foreign student is allowed to work for the University he/she is enrolled
in, even with an F-1 (student) Visa. I do and I had to apply for a SS number.
The SS card says "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" above the number.
  Therefore, having a SS number is required in order to work, but having a SS
number does not mean you are allowed to work...
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

mike@cadsys.UUCP (Michael Bruck) (05/10/85)

> Without a SS # you can not open an interest bearing account
> with any bank in the U.S. because IRS uses your SS # to make
> sure you paid taxes.

I guess I was unaware of this when had a savings account at
B of A for several years before obtaining a SS #.

Actually, non-US residents may open an interest bearing account
with a US bank, but they get a form from the Bank every year
which they have to sign to prove that they are in fact non-residents.

I have just gone through the procedure to get my "Green Card" (which
happens to be blue), and apart from a two month delay when the INS
lost my file, it all went very smoothly.  From arrival in the US
with a temporary work permit to my getting permanent residence,
the elapsed time was slightly over a year.

				Michael Bruck

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos) (05/15/85)

In article <5816@duke.UUCP> mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) writes:
>The middle figures in my Social Security number are 33, and
>I cannot work.  Sri Rajeev may be right.

You just lost. My ssn has a XXX-47-XXXX and I can not work (for the
time being, that is :-)). As I mentioned in a previous note, there
does not seem to be any correlation between ssn and work permit.
Spiros