[net.jobs] Why So Few Entry-Level Ads? -- Results

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (05/26/85)

I promised that I'd summarize the responses to the question  the
I posted.  The question was:

> Why are so few entry-level job openings advertised
> in the newspapers and posted in this newsgroup?

No one suggested that the slow-down in the electronics  industry
is connected to the lack of entry-level help-wanted ads.

Several persons agreed that companies get so many  resumes  from
college  graduates that they don't need to advertise entry-level
openings.

Several  persons  wrote  that  the  professional  journals   and
societies (ACM, IEEE, STC, etc.) carry the best help-wanted ads.

Several persons wrote that entry-level jobs are  usually  gotten
by  knowing  someone at the company.  Another person pointed out
that big companies hire for entry level positions by sending out
recruiters to colleges.

One user wrote that at his company they train their engineers to
do  technical  writing;  apparently they've had some bad experi-
ences with technical writers not knowing or being able to  learn
about their software.

One person wrote this about entry-level persons:

> On our project here at AT&T Technologies, we are microcoding a new
> signal processor for the Navy.  We liked getting
> entry-level people because we are a young group and we need really
> gung-ho learners rather than people who are set in their ways (as I am
> fast becoming).  We've managed to fill all our slots now with
> some very good people, and all but two were entry-level.

And the reply that I liked best was  this  (someone  guessed  my
motives for the posting on net.jobs):