[net.news.group] losing the net

rcd@opus.UUCP (09/12/84)

When I think of all of the work that goes into making the net function as
it does--particularly the people like Mark, Adam, Chuq and several others
who put in a LOT of time, it really burns me to see something as stupid and
obnoxious as the following preface to an article in net.general:

> NOTE:  This was posted in net.politics 1 week ago, and many asked
> that it also be posted to net.general.  Any and all flames from self-
> appointed net administrators will be ignored. - trb

The gist of it, then, is that because some people (who don't understand the
use of net.general) asked this fellow to mis-post an article, he not only
did so but felt obliged to thumb his nose at the rest of the net.  And of
course, it was nothing like an "important and timely announcement of
interest to all"--instead, it was a call for discussion on a primarily
political topic.

(For the record, it's:
> From: trb@drutx.UUCP (BuckleyTR)
>...	Tom Buckley
> 	AT&T Information Systems
)

Well, perhaps trb will ignore my flames, but I might like to think that
some of the rest of the net won't--in particular, the site administrator
(if there is one!) at AT&T ISL, Denver.  Do you folks over there have
someone who can take Mr. Buckley aside and explain to him that we don't
give a damn how much his ego needs gratification?  There IS some
administrivia that will keep the net usable a little longer, and it's not
really all that much if each site will take a hand in it.

I'm used to people being obnoxious on the net, but I'm not used to them
being quite so proud of it.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Keep your day job 'til your night job pays.