[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP on an HP 3000

PERRY@VAX.DARPA.MIL (Dennis G. Perry) (04/14/87)

Yes, it is true.  DARPA paid BBN for an implementation of TCP/ip
on the HP3000.

dennis
-------

blumenth@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Steve Blumenthal) (04/14/87)

BBN had a contract from DARPA to develop TCP/IP for the HP3000.  Under
that effort we also developed user and server TELNET and user FTP.  This
software required modifications to the HP3000 operating system and ran
on an HP3000 Series 3 under MPE IV.  We completed this effort in 1983
and delivered the software to White Sands Missle Range, where it was
modified to run on an HP3000 Series 44 system under the MPE V/P
operating system.  (See attached note from Ken Terry at WSMR from 1985)
Because we needed access to the HP3000 operating system sources, we had
to sign a non-disclosure agreement with HP.  This agreement restricts
our ability to redistribute this software except to U.S. government
sites as directed by DARPA.

Because BBN is not heavily into the development of HP3000 software, we
tried to give our software to HP to have them support it and track
subsequent HP3000 operating system and hardware improvements.  To date,
HP has not taken us up on our offer.  They may be in the process of
developing TCP/IP for the HP3000 themselves, but at this point, we have
no current contacts at HP.

Steve Blumenthal
BBN Labs

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 85 07:38:24 mdt
From: Kenneth Terry <kterry@MISER.ARPA>
To: Winston B. Edmond <wbe@BBN-VAX.ARPA>

Subject: conversion of software.

  Thought I would let you know the status of the conversion effort from
MPE V/P to  MPE V/E.  I currently have TCP/IP, user TELNET, and user FTP
running but still have significant work to do on the Pseudo-drivers for
server telnet.  I have received some help from HP in terms of changes they
have made in the operating system (i.e. new intrinsics) but they haven't
really gone out of their way to be too helpful.

  Thanks much for all the help you gave me.  You without a doubt saved me
many months worth of searching and scratching.

                                     Ken.

CERF@A.ISI.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

Dennis,

BBN did a TCP to assure that the DARPA HP3000 MIS system could work
after the TCP/IP shift of 1983. My recollection of the work is that
BBN did the implementation and struggled somewhat to obtain the
technical information it needed about the operating system MPE-X
(I forget which version).  In the meantime, HP has apparently developed
a TCP for a number of machines in its product line. Whether it has
one commercially for the MPE operating system isn't clear. They have
imported the Berkeley 4.2 (or 3) BSD code, I believe, to operate
on the Spectrum series machines and possibly for others in its
product line.

A possible point of contact on protocols is Wim Rollandts who has
a senior position at HP dealing with communications. Until recently
he ran their International Networks Division (IND - I think I have
the initials right even if I have messed up the name). IND is
located at HP's corporate facility in Cupertino. The current
Information Networks Division general manager is Dan Warmenhoben
who can be reached at (408) 447-3506. I tried calling him just a
few moments ago but both lines to his office were busy, so I
don't know what the status of HP's TCP is at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Vint

martillo@ATHENA.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/15/87)

If you want information about TCP on an HP 3000, you might
try writing to sax%enr.prime.com@eddie.mit.edu.  I think he worked
on this project.

Yaqim Martillo

netnews@orstcs.UUCP (04/15/87)

/* Written  5:17 am  Apr 14, 1987 by PERRY@VAX.DARPA.MIL in orstcs:comp.protocols.tcp-ip */
/* ---------- "Re: TCP on an HP 3000" ---------- */
Yes, it is true.  DARPA paid BBN for an implementation of TCP/ip
on the HP3000.

dennis
-------
/* End of text from orstcs:comp.protocols.tcp-ip */

netnews@orstcs.UUCP (04/15/87)

/* Written 10:48 am  Apr 14, 1987 by blumenth@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU in orstcs:comp.protocols.tcp-ip */