[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Wollongong TCP/IP and subnets

Iglesias@UCIVMSA.BITNET (05/13/87)

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 19:46:43 -0700
From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias@orion.uci.edu>

Does anyone know if Wollongong's TCP/IP will support a subnet mask of
something other than 8 bits.  It appears to be a fixed mask from
reading the documentatin.

Also, is there any way to set the broadcast address?

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

JERRY@STAR.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (05/13/87)

You current release of Wollongong's software does only allow fixed
8 bit subnets.  These are enable with the ifconfig "local" argument.
To enable the IP broadcast address that is compatible with 4.3 and
is the standard use the ifconfig "ipbrdcst" argument.

The next release of Wollongong's software will be May 27 and will be
4.3 compatible so that full subnet support as well as the ability
to set the IP broadcast address will be available.

Jerry

ejnorman@uwmacc.UUCP (Eric Norman) (05/14/87)

In article <8705122226.AA12601@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
Iglesias@UCIVMSA.BITNET asks:

> Does anyone know if Wollongong's TCP/IP will support a subnet mask of
> something other than 8 bits.  It appears to be a fixed mask from
>
> Also, is there any way to set the broadcast address?

Wollongong's WIN/VX 3.0 will be available in a few weeks (so they imply).
It is based on 4.3BSD.  We had a Beta release.  I know for a fact that
the broadcast address can be made all zeroes instead of the default all
ones since I did it.  Although I didn't do any testing of subnet masking,
there is no reason for me to believe it differs from 4.3BSD.

Eric Norman
Internet:     ejnorman@unix.macc.wisc.edu
UUCP:         ...{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!ejnorman
Life:         Detroit!Alexandria!Omaha!Indianapolis!Madison!Hyde

"Remember; this is just an exhibition; please, no wagering."
		-- David Letterman
--

jeff@UMBC3.UMD.EDU (Jeffrey Burgan) (05/15/87)

In the current version of Wollongong's IP/TCP product (2.3), they only
support 8 bit subnets. On May 27th, or there abouts, they will release
3.0 which is 4.3 compatable (i.e.  supports the netmask and broadcast
addresses). It appears to work pretty well.

Jeffrey Burgan
Univ. of Maryland, Balto. County
Systems Staff