[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Market Survey

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (05/26/87)

I'm working up some artwork for a "Captain Ethernet" T-shirt, in honor of
our local networking hacker.  I thought that some of you might (a) be
interested in buying one too, and (b) have some interesting ideas for an
appropriately superhero-like logo.  The cost would probably run about $4.50
to $5.00 plus postage, but it all depends on how many shirts I can order at
once.  This is not a profit-making venture...

If you'd be interested in getting one, or if you have logo ideas, send
me some mail!

-=-

							Clayton Elwell
The meek are getting ready...			Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
					   ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell

PERRY@VAX.DARPA.MIL (Dennis G. Perry) (05/26/87)

Clayton,

Although I appreciate your enthusiasm in developing a item that may
be of interest to the research community, I must point out to you that
this particular activity, even though not for profit, is somewhat out
of line with Arpanet policy.  May I please point all of you out their
to the DDN publication NIC 50003, "Arpanet Information Brochure" and the
statement on page seven (7):

Users of Arpanet may only use the network to conduct the offical business
for which their access was authorized.  They may not violate privacy or
any other applicable laws, and must not use the network for private gain
or for commercial purposes, such as advertising or recruiting.

Please don't push me on the interpretation of this mild rule, the
coefficient of elasticity is high, but the energy put into the push
may find a way of returning to its source.

Dennis G. Perry
Program Manager of the Arpanet
Information Science and Technology Office
DARPA
-------

cetron@CS.UTAH.EDU (Edward J Cetron) (05/26/87)

	i'd rather see an ether-bunny.....

-ed

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <8705261841.AA10935@cs.utah.edu> cetron@cs.utah.edu (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>	i'd rather see an ether-bunny.....

We have already developed the design for an ether-noose, used for
chasing the hardware people who sometimes decide to tap the backbone
during afternoon prime time.  It's not-for-profit (just like Clayton's
T-shirts), and can be made of materials near at hand by people with
very little artistic ability (like me, unlike Clayton).  Just grab a
half-wavelength of thick Ether cable, bend into the appropriate shape,
and hang from a bookshelf near your RFC collection so it's convenient.
Wave threateningly when all the Suns in the office lose carrier
simultaneously.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob
 soon: bob@aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (05/29/87)

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> We have already developed the design for an ether-noose, used for
> chasing the hardware people who sometimes decide to tap the backbone
> during afternoon prime time.

Now really, is this part of your War Department sanctioned research, Bob?
You know, We who Watch Over the net have had our eyes on trouble makers like
you for a long time, but because we're Nice Guys we haven't said anything
until now.  But Watch Out.  Your Funding may be Cut any day now, and the
local Army base has been notified in case they want to take Appropriate
Action.

Oh, you weren't on the Arpanet?  We didn't sponsor your Research?
Well, we'll still notify the Army, Just in Case.

Isn't it Just Like the Government to make rules that are impossible or
improbable to follow?  It's just Coincidence that Rulemakers like to
have a Plausible Reason for stepping on people who Do Things we don't like.
Remember what Happened to MIT-AI!  Your Power Supply may be Next!   :-)
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)