[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Netbioses and VT100-Telnet

VTTTELTY@FINFUN.BITNET.UUCP (06/05/87)

A few weeks ago I sent the following request to PC-IP and TCP-IP
mailing lists:

>Where can I find the following products:
>
>1. Netbios on TCP/IP for IBM PC/AT and 3Com Ethernet controllers.
>
>2. VT100-Telnet (supporting function keys) for IBM PC/AT.
>
>3. Netbios on TCP/IP for VAX/VMS.

Here are the most interesting responses I got:

From:     <BEAME@MCMASTER>

Santtu,

       Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. have a VT100/VT52 - Telnet program
that runs on IBM PC/XT/AT machines using a 3Com EtherLink board. This
emulator includes a fully definable keyboard (every letter, function key).
The emulator also uses hardware scrolling for fast no-snow output (EGA
support also).

        This program comes with TCP/IP but NOT NetBios. More information
can be obtained from me or :

Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
259 Fiddler's Green Road
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G 1W9

        - Carl Beame

P.S: I wrote the program, so notice the bias.

From: minshall%opal.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU

Hi.  Your items 1 and 2 can probably be gotten from Ungermann-Bass.
Possibly from Excelan and 3COM also (though I don't know for sure).

Greg Minshall

From: CLYNN@G.BBN.COM

    I am not sure about documents for the specific implementations
that you mentioned, but RFC1001 and RFC1002 specify how to do NETBIOS
over TCP/IP networks.  They are available via anonymous FTP from
SRI-NIC.ARPA.

From:     Dave Crocker <dcrocker%engr.ub.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

You might try contacting Lantec, for all of your needs.

Their postal address is:

    Postboks 171 Olavsgt. 39B
    3601 Kongsberg
    NORWAY

    Phone is +47-3-73-6880

Dave

From: cmcl2!aecom.yu.edu!cucard!naftoli%harvard@husc6.BITNET

Excelan makes a netbios over TCP/IP which works ok.  We have
run the IBM PC network over it with no apprarent problems.
---
Robert N. Berlinger
Supervisor of Systems Support                           Compuserve: 73047,741
Albert Einstein College of Medicine                     Easylink:   62956067
UUCP: ...$philabs,cucard,pegasus,rocky2!aecom!naftoli  GEnie:      R.Berlinger

From: John Romkey <ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>

Try getting in touch with FTP Software. (617) 868-4878. The address
is:
    FTP Software, Inc.
    PO Box 150
    Kendall Square Branch
    Boston, MA  02140
    USA

FTP will be releasing a NetBIOS on TCP this summer, and already has a VT100
telnet available.

I am associated with FTP, so I do have some interest in these matters...
                - john romkey

From:         RITCV!ROCKSVAX!ROCKSANNE!SUNYBCS!CANISIUS!ITECH1!SIA
              @CS.ROCHESTER.EDU

A rather complete TCP/IP package for IBM PC/XT/AT's that includes
a VT100 Telnet is available from:

FTP Software, Inc.
P.O. BOX 150
Kendall Square Branch
Boston, MA 02142
(617) 864-1711

The stuff for the VAX running under VMS is available from:

The Wollongong Group, Inc.
1129 San Antonio Road
P.O. Box 51860
Palo Alto, CA 94303
(415)962-7100

Wollongong also has a TCP/IP for the PC.

Another source for these packages would be:

Network Research Corp.
2380 North Rose Avenue
Oxnard, CA 93030
(805)485-2700

Stewart I. Alpert @ Ingram Software, Inc.  Department of Technical Services
UUCP:        {ihnp4,sco,mwc,canisius}!itech1!sia
            {allegra,decvax,watmath}!sunybcs!canisius!itech1!sia
ARPA/CSNET: itech1!sia%canisius@csnet-relay.ARPA
AT&T:       1-716-874-1874 or 1-800-828-7250 or 1-800-464-8488 (in NYS)
USnail:     2128 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14215

Santtu M{ki
Technical Research Centre of Finland
Telecommunications laboratory

JBVB@AI.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (06/06/87)

A couple of notes on Santtu ?Miki?'s posting:

Excelan and Ungermann/Bass have TCP/IP NETBIOSs for the PC available now,
but neither conforms to the RFCs, and because of this, they don't
interoperate.  I have heard rumors that Excelan will upgrade theirs to
conform to the RFCs by early 4th quarter.  I have no idea what U/B
is up to, although I assume they're hard at work as well.  When FTP
Software's NETBIOS is available, it will conform to the RFCs.

I have seen postings that suggested that Excelan either had a VMS NETBIOS
(non-RFC-compatible), or was working on one (which could be planned for
compatibility).  I have no more facts, except that I am quite sure that
neither MICOM-Interlan, The Wollongong Group, Network Research Corp.,
nor SRI (all vendors of VMS packages, see the Vendors Guide) have any
NETBIOS support for VMS as of this date.

I know that Telnets with VT100 emulators for the PC are available from
Beame & Whiteside, Bridge, Excelan, FTP Software, The Wollongong Group
Sun, and U/B, either separately, or as part of a larger TCP/IP package
for the PC.  U/B and Excelan require the use of the manufacturer's Ethernet
board, and Bridge & TWG only support the 3Com dumb interface.  Last I
knew, NRC's package didn't have terminal emulation as such (their Telnet
relied on ANSI.SYS), but that could have changed recently.  FTP is the
only company that offers a VT100 Rlogin, but that doesn't cut much ice
against a VMS...

The only one I've worked with is the one I maintain (FTPs).  It does a
straight VT100, less smooth scroll, 132 column mode, and double height/
double width.  The release due out July 1 has no-snow CGA operation added.
All function keys are handled, and the keypad layout works fairly well
with EDT on VMS.  Last I knew, Excelan had roughly the same layout, but
I've never actually used it against a VMS.

jbvb@ai.ai.mit.edu
James B. VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.