[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Mac/Ip

HANK@BARILVM.BITNET (Henry Nussbacher) (06/25/87)

Can someone fill me in on the latest on Mac/Ip - does it support Ethernet
directly or does one still need a gateway between an Appletalk LAN to
Ethernet?  Does it support FTP, Telnet and SMTP?

Thanks,
Hank

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (07/05/87)

	From:	 Henry Nussbacher <HANK%BARILVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
	Subject: Mac/Ip
	Date:	 Thu, 25 Jun 87 10:34:42 P

	Can someone fill me in on the latest on Mac/Ip - does it support Ethernet
	directly or does one still need a gateway between an Appletalk LAN to
	Ethernet?  Does it support FTP, Telnet and SMTP?

The version of MAC-IP I have supports ethernet communications through one
of two boxes manufactured by Kinetics in Walnut Creek.  The first (and older)
of these two boxes is called the FastPath, and is capable of acting as bridge
between Appletalk and ethernet.  It can operate in a pure-Appletalk mode,
or it can operate in a combined Appletalk and "user datagram" mode, which lets
it carry IP.  One FastPath can serve several MACs connected to an Appletalk
network.

The second box is called the EtherSC, and connects a MAC directly up to
thinwire ethernet via the SCSI port.  So far I only have it carrying IP
traffic.  There is one EtherSC per MAC, and the EtherSC is considerably
cheaper than the FastPath.

The heritage of the TCP code I'm using is a bit fuzzy, so I'm reluctant
to comment on it for fear of being wrong.  However, there is an excellent
TELNET/FTP server program available from NCSA (National Center for
Supercomputing Applications) at the University of Illinois.  Contact Gaige
Paulson there for more information.  There's no SMTP support that I'm
aware of ... but if anyone knows of something I'd sure like to hear about
it.

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC