[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] connection establish timeout query

LYNCH@A.ISI.EDU (Dan Lynch) (07/04/87)

Mike and David,  You are asking a question that covers many sins.
The usual numbers for "open connection" timeouts range from 30-120
seconds.  If you are using numbers much smaller than these you
wil see lots of timeouts.  The problem of selcting the "right"
timeout is a bit complex because of what you (the initiator)
might be trying to accomplish.  E.g.,  if it is a Telnet session
then the user is a human and can abort the (presumably hopeless)
connection attempt by some local action (escape character or its
functional equivalent on each system -- if you don't have the
equivalent of an "interrupt now" initiated by the user from
the keyboard, then...) so you may as well select a long timeout
(2 minutes) and let the connection get established if at all
possible.  The same goes for FTP because it is user initiated.

However, for mail (SMTP) things can get different.  It is usually
implemented as a background process that slurps over the file
system looking for mail files to send out.  If this SMTP process
uses a long timeout and it runs into a bunch of mail for a dead
site it has to get smart about what is (not) happening and not spend
a lot of time waiting for a connection to the dead host.  Thus a
short timeout (30 seconds) might be in order.  Big systems that
do lots of mail have had to take more hurculean efforts in this
arena, like running a number of SMTP mail processes in parallel
and having some scheme for staying out of each other's way...

The reason for along timeout can lie with many sources:  the local host
might not have a good retransmission timout for the original
"open packet", the network(s) may be congested, or the remote
host may take some time to set up a process to respond to the
open request.

Anyway,  the major crime is to have client programs choosing
a timeout that is smaller than the retransmission timeout
that the TCP is using to detect a lost packet and try the open SYN again.

Dan
-------

brescia@CCV.BBN.COM (Mike Brescia) (07/05/87)

I would interpret this question as "What should the open timeout be for
telnet, ftp, and mail user and server programs?" What sort of numbers are used
in the software?

    mike

   Date: Thu, 02 Jul 87 11:53:33 -0400
   From: Mike Brescia <brescia%ccv.bbn.com@CCV.BBN.COM>

Mike, thanks for getting back to me.  I'm not sure what timeout values we
are currently using here - that's why I asked the question.  Do you have a
feel for what is "common" around the Arpanet ?  I would expect that about
the same timeout limits are used almost everywhere, and I'd like to know
what those values are.  We understand that the timeout's are determined by
the software, and we just want to see if we are "in the ballpark" compared
to other sites.  Thanks again!