[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SMTP for any UNIX on any kind of AT

bjp@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (07/20/87)

Folks I need some help.  Is there anyone out there that has mil stnd
simple mail runing on any version of an AT under any version of UNIX?
If so, please let me know what versions and the vendors where you bought
it, there names addresses and phone numbers.  I need the answer by
tomorrow afternoon.

					bj Pease

bjp@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (07/20/87)

Folks I need some help.  Is there anyone out there that has mil stnd
simple mail runing on any version of an AT under any version of UNIX?
If so, please let me know what versions and the vendors where you bought
it, there names addresses and phone numbers.  I need the answer by
tomorrow afternoon.

					bj Pease

PS	Sorry for the double message but I forgot to give you my
email address.  Here it is:  bjp@mitre-bedford.arpa

hedrick@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU.UUCP (07/21/87)

IBM has an implementation of POP 2 for the IBM PC.  It's part of their
TCP/IP support for the PC.  This is probably as close as you will
come to SMTP for a PC.

JBVB@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("James B. VanBokkelen") (07/22/87)

    IBM has an implementation of POP 2 for the IBM PC.  It's part of their
    TCP/IP support for the PC.  This is probably as close as you will
    come to SMTP for a PC.

FTP Software has SMTP client and server in the PC/TCP (DOS) package.  I don't
know a great deal about the various Xenix offerings, but I don't think any
of those currently available has SMTP.

jbvb

hyc@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Howard Chu) (07/26/87)

>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 87 12:38:47 EDT
>From: hedrick@topaz.rutgers.edu
>Subject: Re:  SMTP for any UNIX on any kind of AT

>IBM has an implementation of POP 2 for the IBM PC.  It's part of their
>TCP/IP support for the PC.  This is probably as close as you will
>come to SMTP for a PC.

Au contraire... Phil Karn has a TCP/IP package which includes SMTP service
that works with MSDOS, and is being ported to Minix. From there, any other
Unix is just a tiny stretch.

Send a message to tcp-group-request@louie.udel.edu for more info...
  -- Howard Chu
	hyc@umix.cc.umich.edu
	seismo!umix!hyc

adelman@LBL-CSA1.ARPA (Kenneth Adelman) (07/29/87)

> Folks I need some help.  Is there anyone out there that has mil stnd
> simple mail runing on any version of an AT under any version of UNIX?

    The C version of the Software Tools Mail System runs under VMS as
well as System III, V, and BSD Unix and many derivatives including
Xenix.

    The current distribution runs on PC/ATs with Xenix and either
Excelan or NRC/Fusion TCP/IP and should be readily adaptable to other
variants of TCP.

					    Kenneth Adelman
					    LBL