[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Help: TCP/IP for business application

Okuno@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Hiroshi "Gitchang" Okuno) (07/23/87)

I'd like to know whether TCP/IP is really used for business
applications or distributed processings.  Or is it used only for
computational environments (Telnet, FTP, SMTP, NSF, windows)?
Any information or pointer is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Gitchang -
-------

leiner@riacs.EDU (07/27/87)

A bit of a strange question, in my opinion.

Fact 1.  Much of what scientists do on a daily basis is use business
functions (e.g. word processing, etc.) and often access remote machines
to do this.

Fact 2.  TCP/IP is the underpinning of much of the scientific networking
environment.

Did you mean, perhaps, "Do people in a business environment (rather than
a scientific or engineering environment) use TCP/IP?"

Barry
----------

Okuno@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Hiroshi "Gitchang" Okuno) (07/27/87)

Barry,

 > Did you mean, perhaps, "Do people in a business environment (rather than
 > a scientific or engineering environment) use TCP/IP?"

I want to know whether TCP/IP is used in applications such as banking
system, car registration system, information retrieval system or other
database management system (centralized or distributed).

The ARPA Internet, X25Net of CSNET, and NSFNet use TCP/IP but support
only Telnet, FTP, SMTP or Finger.  Some campus networks support
network window or network file systems.  Whois may be a kind of
network database retrieval system.  However, I don't know other higher
level or large-scale applications.

Mike O'dell, maximo!mo@seismo.CSS.GOV, told me that the system for the
Bank of Milan in Italy was the best example.  Is there any example in
this country?

Regards,

- Gitchang -
-------

eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (07/28/87)

In article <12321742542.23.OKUNO@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>, Okuno@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Hiroshi "Gitchang" Okuno) writes:
> I want to know whether TCP/IP is used in applications such as banking
> system, car registration system, information retrieval system or other
> database management system (centralized or distributed).

	At Johns Hopkins Hospital, we used TCP/IP to implement a wide
range of distributed database applications, including patient identification,
scheduling, radiology film tracking, radiology report transcription and
retrieval, etc. For all of the distributed pieces, we used Sun's RPC
protocol.

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/30/87)

We are currently installing an ACC TCP/IP interface on the (purely)
Administrative IBM3090 here at BU, they have also installed a Sun
system.  The CLA Dean's office is currently using a SUN3/180 and
several diskless clients (that's TCP packets like all getout) and are
moving their databases (which have been Unix based for many years) to
that system. Several other departments are doing compatible things
like that.

The goal is to distribute the management of registration, grant and
other information campus-wide via TCP/IP in the near future.  I doubt
they would at this time even consider anything other than TCP for
their applications which (using typically the Ingres and Adabas(e?)
data base systems) relies upon the heterogenous network to make
accessible IBM/MVS, IBM/VM, Suns, Vax/VMS and other systems
(Macintoshes via Kinetics boxes if I can ever finish reading my mail.)

Boston University is generally considered to be within the United
States of America and although you might write us off as academia you
might want to consider the business involved in running a private
university of over 25,000 students. We're probably a bigger business
than you are (probably approaching Fortune 500, I dunno, never thought
of it that way.) So there.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University