[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Source routing

ELINSKY@YKTVMX.BITNET (Jay Elinsky) (07/30/87)

This is from Jay Elinsky at IBM Yorktown, originally sent on the Bitnet-
based IBM TCP/IP For VM Mailing list.  He asked that it be forwarded to
the TCP/IP mailing list.    - Mark Bodenstein, Cornell University

I'm one of the developers of the VM code at Yorktown, and I want to
clarify some possible misconceptions on this subject:

1) We use source routing only on Token Ring.  Even on Token Ring, we can
certainly also route through a router, if the destination host is on
a different net or subnet.  If the destination host is on a different
ring with the same net or subnet number, we do indeed use source routing.
I believe that this is consistent with the architecture of the Token
Ring.  Is it inconsistent with any existing implementation of TCP/IP
over Token Ring?  If so, I'd certainly like to know about it.

2) Re "No RIF field, no function":  If a host is on the same ring, the
ARP code will recognize it, and subsequent packets between the hosts have
no routing field at all.

3) Our TCP/IP certainly is inter-operable with other TCP/IP implement-
ations.  That is our reason for supporting TCP/IP. To repeat what I
said in (1), the source routing issue is only on Token Ring, and to
the best of my knowledge our implementation is consistent with other
TCP/IP Token Ring implementations, and with Token Ring architecture.

4) In the VM code, the Token Ring routing information is kept as part
of the address translation cache.  I think that's logical.

                                       Jay Elinsky
                                       IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
                                       Yorktown Heights, NY

ELINSKY@IBM.COM (Jay Elinsky) (08/01/87)

Here's a copy of a note I sent to IBMTCP-L, on the subject of source routing
in the IBM TCP/IP code.  My apologies in advance if it shows up twice --
someone else may have also sent it, but it hasn't shown up on our database at
Yorktown.  I want to make sure it shows up on this mailing list, since the
note that started it all appeared here.