[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Wollongong TCP/IP for Sys V

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (07/27/87)

I asked my boss to order TCP/IP from Wollongong for a 3B2 and he came
back and told me they stopped selling it because too many people were
ripping it off and they won't sell it until they come up with a way to
keep it from being stolen.

If anyone out there is from Wollongong - I do not use copy protected
software, so I'm not going to buy it when you do figure out what to
do.  Even if you do something harmless, I still will have found
another vendor by the time you get your act together.
--
/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
 |__/__/_/  is a very strange carrot.
 |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (07/28/87)

In article <443@pluto.UUCP> warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
:
:I asked my boss to order TCP/IP from Wollongong for a 3B2 and he came
:back and told me they stopped selling it because too many people were
:ripping it off and they won't sell it until they come up with a way to
:keep it from being stolen.

I posted this yesterday and today I got a phone call from Wollongong.
It seems that ATT has the exclusive to sell this product, and I got
a contact to find out what the problem is with the ATT side.

Sorry for the misinformation.
--
/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
 |__/__/_/  is a very strange carrot.
 |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?

LYNCH@A.ISI.EDU (Dan Lynch) (07/30/87)

Bashing Wollongong is probably more fun now that they are on the Internet now
and we know they see these flames.  But, Burstein's message really
puzzles me.  If Wollongong's stuff is so bad, why is everyone stealing it?

Dan
-------

schoff@NIC.NYSER.NET (Marty Schoffstall) (07/31/87)

Dan,

I personally haven't heard of anyone stealing it, (that message
really took me by surprise), but I'd propose that the reason why
people might "steal" tcp/ip it is that it is CURRENTLY the only
game in town.  AT&T donated thousands of 3b machines to the universities,
(RPI has almost 30 of them), stealing the networking software
puts it in the "matching" price range of the hardware itself.

What may happen as soon as the "public domain" implementations
are available is what has happened with VMS tcpip networking
in the past (and accelerating right now), either you don't
buy a TWG product at all or you buy one for "stability" sake
and run TEK/CMU/TCP everywhere else.

Marty

PS:  RPI told AT&T that we HAD to have tcp/ip and ethernet on
	ours or we simply wouldn't use them, AT&T delivered
	tcp/ip.  From my discussions with others who took
	donated equipment, stances like that were rare.

ron@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU (Ron Natalie) (07/31/87)

The TWG code for the 3B2 comes from AT&T.  I wasn't aware you could
buy it at all from TWG (I wish I were wrong, I'd expect that the
product would be better direct).  Anyhow, TWG could avoid pirating
by using the same method as the SUN PCNFS code.  The software shuts
down if it notices datagrams from another of the same licensed code
on the net.

-Ron

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (08/01/87)

From: Marty Schoffstall <schoff@nic.nyser.net>
>PS:  RPI told AT&T that we HAD to have tcp/ip and ethernet on
>	ours or we simply wouldn't use them, AT&T delivered
>	tcp/ip.  From my discussions with others who took
>	donated equipment, stances like that were rare.

Or fell on deaf ears (we waited 24 months for an ethernet board and
finally just gave up.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University
	Moderator, INFO-3B