[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Mailing to DEC Easynet

A.Eric@GSB-HOW.STANFORD.EDU (Eric M. Berg) (08/11/87)

[My apologies for posting this to the entire list, but the return-address on
the original message (umnd-cs!umn-cs!haque@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU) didn't work.]

DEC's internal network (called "Easynet") is connected to the Internet via
host DECWRL.DEC.COM (which is also a UUCP backbone node).  The syntax is
    user%host.dec@decwrl.dec.com

You need to get the name of the Easynet host, and the user-name of the person
you want.  (Often user-names seem to consist of the first two character of
the person's first name appended to their last name... so I'd be "BergEr".)

It's helpful to know that DEC Easynet nodes seem to have two different names
each: a DECnet node name, and an internet-style name.  So, for example, most
of the Santa Clara office sales people have accounts on "USWRSL.DEC.COM"
("US Western Region SaLes", as close as I can guess), which is also known
as "RHEA" (DECnet node name).

You can try sending mail to Postmaster@DECWRL.DEC.COM... I've found the people
there to be very helpful in sorting this stuff out.

						Eric M. Berg
						Computer Facility
						Graduate School of Business
						Stanford University
-------
-------

melohn@SUN.COM (Bill Melohn) (08/12/87)

In article <12325530286.154.A.ERIC@GSB-HOW.Stanford.EDU> A.Eric@GSB-HOW.STANFORD.EDU (Eric M. Berg) writes:
>It's helpful to know that DEC Easynet nodes seem to have two different names
>each: a DECnet node name, and an internet-style name.  So, for example, most
>of the Santa Clara office sales people have accounts on "USWRSL.DEC.COM"
>("US Western Region SaLes", as close as I can guess), which is also known
>as "RHEA" (DECnet node name).

This is done (no suprise) by using the domain name server, which has
an MX record defined for all of the valid DECNET node names in the DEC
Enet. From the outside, you should be able to get to any DEC Enet node
by sending to <username>@<dec node name>.dec.com, assuming you run the
nameserver.  The node RHEA is merely a forwarding node in the internal
chain between DECWRL and the rest of the DEC Enet.

Domain names; there not just for IP anymore..