[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Where can I find SLIP server for 4.2/3?

StJohns@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Mike StJohns) (08/28/87)

The  subject  says  it all.  Is there a public domain SLIP server
for a 4.2 based system available anywhere?  I've got a  bunch  of
IBM  PCs  I  want  to  run  over  something called a CO-LAN (wire
replacement system).  Mike

karels%okeeffe@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Karels) (08/30/87)

I'm not sure what you mean by a SLIP server; the SLIP protocol for
the 4BSD side of a connection is included in 4.3 as if_sl.c.  It is
configured into a kernel with a line like
	pseudo-device	sl	4
in the system config file, where the number is the number of lines to support.
The lines are then set up with the programs slattach and ifconfig, each
of which have manual entries.  These programs are designed for more-or-less
static configurations, as they don't allow dialup use (very easily)
and don't do dynamic address assignment.  The original versions of slip
and slattach were written for 4.2BSD, and they are probably still available
somewhere.

Of course, you'll need a corresponding protocol module for the PC end,
along with IP/TCP support; if that's what you're asking for, I don't
know where to find it.

		Mike

STJOHNS@SRI-NIC.ARPA (08/30/87)

Thanks  for all the responses.  To summarize: SLIP comes embedded
in 4.3.  A version for 4.2 is available  from  seismo.css.gov  or
from  mimsy.umd.edu.  (BTW, seismo didn't seem to have any public
access ftp  files  when  I  checked  last  night!)   PC  SLIP  is
available from SIMTEL20 or from MIT.  Mike

rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/30/87)

You can ftp the source code for SLIP from uunet.uu.net as the
file ~ftp/pub/sl.shar.Z

This file contains the code for 4.2bsd systems and Sun 3.X.  If you
have 4.3bsd, you already have SLIP (it is surprising how many people
ask this). It is known to run on vaxes and suns. It may run on other systems
depending on how much the vendor "fixed" that wasn't broken.

Note: SLIP is ONLY a device driver. You have to come up with
your own IP, TCP, ICMP, ETC

To answer the other popular question, no there is no RFC describing the
"protocol" (I hesitate to call it a protocol. Its a simple framing
scheme.)

---rick

phil@amdcad.UUCP (08/30/87)

In article <8708300016.AA04771@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU> karels%okeeffe@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Karels) writes:
>I'm not sure what you mean by a SLIP server; the SLIP protocol for
>the 4BSD side of a connection is included in 4.3 as if_sl.c.  It is
>configured into a kernel with a line like
>	pseudo-device	sl	4
>in the system config file, where the number is the number of lines to support.
>The lines are then set up with the programs slattach and ifconfig, each
>of which have manual entries.

This brings up a question I had. I hope it's not too stupid. Consider
a network with machines A, B, and C. B talks to A and C. A does not
talk to C except through B. B's /dev/ttyh0 goes to A. B's /dev/ttyh1
goes to C. I slattach ttyh0 and ttyh1.

Now I want to ifconfig sl0 and sl1. How do I know which dstaddr to
associate with sl0 and which with sl1? Does it matter? If not, how
does the kernel know which tty line to send the packets down?

The thing that confuses me is I would expect slattach to take a sl0 or
sl1 argument as well as a tty argument. But it doesn't.

Also, do I have to do anything special to B to get it to forward
packets from A to C?
--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

kre@munnari.UUCP (08/30/87)

In article <18137@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> Now I want to ifconfig sl0 and sl1. How do I know which dstaddr to
> associate with sl0 and which with sl1? Does it matter? If not, how
> does the kernel know which tty line to send the packets down?

It matters, and this has been bugging me too.  The only way to
solve this currently is to run all the slattach's serially, which
means that if there's no carrier on the first (the remote end is
down when you're booting) the second doesn't happen until carrier
appears (who knows how long).

It happens that its trivial to fix this, with no major changes
to anything.  Rather than tell slattach which slN it should use,
we can just have it tell us which one it was assigned, then /etc/rc.local
can look like

	UNIT=`slattach ttyh0 9600`
	dstaddr $UNIT ...		# if needed
	ifconfig $UNIT ...

All the support needed for slattach to do this is there already, I'm
going to add the few lines needed (there will probably be a flag to
cause this behaviour for backward compatability) sometime very soon
now.  I'll post the diffs.

kre

ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (08/31/87)

>PC  SLIP  is available from SIMTEL20 or from MIT.
Sorry Mike, but PC "SLIP" is not available from MIT.  The "slip" which MIT
distributes does not support the same framing scheme as the "slip" (SLIP)
available with 4.3bsd.  However, both the MIT slip and "SLIP" are included
with CMU-PCIP, available from me.  It is also supported by the KA9Q (Phil
Karn) PC IP package.

Drew

beadel@oswego.UUCP (Edward F. Beadel, Jr.) (08/31/87)

Mike Karels writes (among other things regarding SLIP):

>of which have manual entries.  These programs are designed for more-or-less
>static configurations, as they don't allow dialup use (very easily)
>and don't do dynamic address assignment.  The original versions of slip

	Does anybody know of a 4.3( or 4.2)bsd version that has been hacked
to allow dialup use? We are having "campus political problems" getting a
dedicated 9600 baud line to another building that will connect through the
SUNY InterCampus Data Network to NYSERNet and thus to the INTERNET. However
we can buy a pair of 9600baud modems and dial up a phone that is right next
to our on campus SICDN port. Of course the 9600baud modems are more expensive,
however they seem to be the only way for now (sigh .......)
	We'd *LOVE* any help at this point since we don't have the time to
hack it ourselves at this point in time. (Most of our Systems Programming
effort is in beta 2.10 at present).

		Thanks,
		Ed

Edward F. Beadel, Jr., Manager {seismo|decvax}!rochester\
Instructional Computing Center                   allegra !rocksvax!oswego!beadel
SUNY College at Oswego           {ihnp4|research|allegra}!warrior/
Oswego, NY  13126 (315)-341-3055       {allegra|watmath}!sunybcs/

ccruss@ucdavis.UUCP (Russ Hobby) (09/01/87)

Here  at UC Davis this summer we have been working on a project to allow
PCs  to make dialup  SLIP connections to  the campus IP  network. We are
also  working on abbreviated serial line  IP (ASLIP) packeting that will
make dialup IP networks more efficient.

Here  is how  the system  works. The  user logs  on to  the host that is
acting  as the gateway, a  4.3 bsd system. He  then types in the command
"slip"  and he becomes  a host on  the network. He  can then use all the
programs that come with the CMU/MIT PC/IP or Phil Karn's system. To make
connecting  to the network  a little easier,  we have written  a program
that  will do the complete  login automatically. The program  has a user
configurable  script file that  specifies a sequence  of strings to send
out  the serial line and responses to wait  for comming back. It has its
own  simple language with branching depending on if the correct response
came  back. The net result is that after the script has been set up, the
user types in one command on the PC to connect to the network.

Unlike  some PC/IPs, our system  assumes that each PC  (or actually each
user)  has its own, permanent IP address.  Security is provided by logon
security  on the gateway  host. The IP  address of the  PC is associated
with  the usercode on the gateway host.  The network connection for that
PC's  IP address  can only  be started  from a  user logged  in with the
correct  usercode. The system also makes sure that the IP address is not
already connected before making a new connection.

The  way we have  set up IP  address for the  PCs is to  have a separate
subnet  that contains all the PCs. This  way the gateway host needs only
to  advertise that  it is  a route  to that  subnet and  all the PCs are
covered.  In  essence  the  gateway  host  is  the  network for all SLIP
connections on that subnet.

The  abbreviated  packets  work  on  the  assumption that the connecting
computer is an end-node and will not be  doing any routing. In this case
many  of the  fields in  the IP  packet are  unnecessary. ASLIP uses the
minimum header size based on this assumption. With ASLIP the header size
is  either 8 or  4 bytes, much  smaller than the  standard 40 bytes. The
host  that is acting as the ASLIP  gateway rebuilds the outgoing packets
to  legal IP packets before sending them out the network and abbreviates
the incoming packets from the network.

The login capabilities are currently working. I frequently connect my
PC at home via dialup modems( one command "netcon") and use telnet,
ftp, whois and smtp. Code for ASLIP is now being written and hopefully
will be done by the end of September. At that point we will package up
everything necessary to make it work and it will be available to anyone
that is interested.

Also  there have  been some  terminal server  vendors interested in this
project.  It should not be  much work to turn  a terminal server into an
ASLIP  or SLIP server and that would make it cheaper than using a VAX as
the  gateway. Plus there would not be  as much maintainance and downtime
with a simple server box.

This  Fall's project is to take the best  of CMU's PC/IP, Phil Karn's IP
and  Stanford's PC/IP  and make  a PC  package that  has the  networking
interface  and services(SMTP,FTP...)  running in  the background. Client
software  will run in foreground but  will use the background interfaces
for connection to the network.

                                Russell Hobby
                         Data Communications Manager
     U. C. Davis
     Computing Services       BITNET:    RDHOBBY@UCDAVIS
     Davis Ca 95616           UUCP:      ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!rdhobby
     (916) 752-0236           INTERNET:  rdhobby@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (09/08/87)

In article <8708300436.AA03739@beno.CSS.GOV> rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:

>Note: SLIP is ONLY a device driver. You have to come up with
>your own IP, TCP, ICMP, ETC

So it seems that to use 4.xbsd machine as a slip server (ie. I want a 4.x
machine to talk to a PC via slip, giving a PC network access), there
would be some simple software needed to pass packets from the slip driver to
the regular ip driver.  Has anyone written such software?

>To answer the other popular question, no there is no RFC describing the
>"protocol" (I hesitate to call it a protocol. Its a simple framing
>scheme.)

Perhaps there is some other documentation of the framing scheme?

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu